The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2022, 06:00 PM   #1
popeyestruck

Any thoughts on this AC system

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Vinta...d-,267591.html
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Desert1957

Re: Any thoughts on this AC system

This style was popular in the 60's , my question is where are the brackets to mount the compressor?
Old 06-25-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
handyhands

may want defrost
handyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 11:19 PM   #4
mr48chev

That is the ground zero basic under dash style AC unit that got put in tens of thousands of cars in the 50's 60's and early 70's (in cars and trucks that came without AC in the 70's as you could get AC in most then) .

Good units that will get a truck colder than you want to deal with for sure. I had one in my 59 El Camino that I bought in 1970. Had one that I got used that I put in my 69 Cutlass when I moved to Texas to get married.

The Bad, they get in the way a lot, especially if your honey sits in the middle. They can be a knee banger and might get in the way of a forward mounted floor shift. If you are long legged they might impose on knee room for your right leg if it is one of the bigger ones. 20-3/4 wide so figure 10 and 3/8 from the center line hanging down about six inches.

If you are shooting for a 60's style build they are period correct, even for a 50's build to a high degree.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:11 AM   #5
popeyestruck

Thanks for the answers. Trying to find AC without breaking the bank. This one was half the price of the others. I have a heater in the truck just need AC. Whats everyone else using?
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:45 PM   #6
mr48chev

Really plain and rather cheap looking but the price is great. https://www.ebay.com/itm/31231823145...gAAOSwBVdb6z9L

You have to get your own compressor bracket to fit your engine but that isn't a big deal.

There are a lot of kits on Ebay but most of them don't look anywhere as good as the one from Vintage Air and most are all China made. I'd watch the size of the condenser tough as that may be an issue on some of the universal kits.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ng&_sacat=6028

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #7
Missyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That is the ground zero basic under dash style AC unit that got put in tens of thousands of cars in the 50's 60's and early 70's (in cars and trucks that came without AC in the 70's as you could get AC in most then) .

Good units that will get a truck colder than you want to deal with for sure. I had one in my 59 El Camino that I bought in 1970. Had one that I got used that I put in my 69 Cutlass when I moved to Texas to get married.

The Bad, they get in the way a lot, especially if your honey sits in the middle. They can be a knee banger and might get in the way of a forward mounted floor shift. If you are long legged they might impose on knee room for your right leg if it is one of the bigger ones. 20-3/4 wide so figure 10 and 3/8 from the center line hanging down about six inches.

If you are shooting for a 60's style build they are period correct, even for a 50's build to a high degree.

I liked the look of the one picked above better and glad to hear they work well but due to size of my gmc dash (more cutout/curvy than chevy) they recommended the vintage air slimline series. Not sure if you have chevy or gmc? It is much more compact for the knee problem he mentioned. Coming in at only 12 inches deep... It also has defrost. But since you already have heat that's maybe not a problem. I also liked the pricetag liked you mentioned.
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #8
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1957 View Post
This style was popular in the 60's , my question is where are the brackets to mount the compressor?
You have to buy the brackets to fit your specific engine, As we all may have different engines in our trucks and that unit fits just about any vehicle that has space to put it in you have to order the bracket separate.

If you already have a heater that works great these units will keep a truck cab way colder than you want to deal with. the one that Popey posted first would keep a suburban or panel as cool as you wanted pretty easily.