The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
PaulKarbo

Upper Control Arm Stud Loose

Hello!
I'm in a bit of a bind. I have a '72 short bed Chevy and am overhauling the front suspension. When taking off the driver's side upper control arm, the front stud that mounts the arm to the frame was loose. After getting the arm off, I was able to push the bolt out with just my thumb. I've read a lot of threads that tell me where I can get a new bolt (LMC) but most threads say "its a good thing that the splines on the bolt are just worn and the hole isn't worn bigger!" I think that my frame hole is a little worn and that if I ordered a new bolt, that it would just be loose too.

It looks like the bracket that the stud is pressed into is riveted to the front crossmember. Seems easy enough to grind out those rivets and replace the bracket.... but I can't find that bracket sold anywhere. I'd really prefer to not have to replace the entire crossmember.

Or is there an easier fix? Thoughts?

Thank you
Paul
PaulKarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Upper Control Arm Stud Loose

If you remove the bracket you can weld the new stud in. The easiest way is use a conventional bolt & nut & lock washer & hold an open end wrench on it when you tighten it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
PaulKarbo

Re: Upper Control Arm Stud Loose

Thank you for the reply - are you talking about using the lock washer and nut as part of the shim pack or on the outer side of the control arm shaft?
PaulKarbo is offline   Reply With Quote