The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2021, 12:26 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Compression ratio and smog levels.

A friend of mine scored a Grandpa fresh 1982 D150 with a bad motor. Yes a brand D truck.

Well it has a 318, and he has scored a 318 roller block too. I know the roller cam will help power, and not effect smog levels. If you don't go crazy obviously. Modern catalytic converter will help power, and well being new helps too. Along with he has been perfecting every part in the engine for optimal DD street power.

So what about going from less then 7.5-1 to 9-1 compression ratio. I know the brand D Magnum motors had the higher compression along with our own Vortec small blocks.

How badly does it effect smog? We're trying to find a happy zone, and not have a problem motor. My worry is the carb will do something I can not mentally account for. As the later Vortec + Magums had over 9-1, and port fuel injection. Where as TBI engines had 8-1 or something like that.

He needs to sell his Diesel truck to get some money, but also loose the payment. Wife's pregnant unexpectedly is the reason, and he wants to be ahead of the curve.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote