The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-23-2022, 04:02 PM   #1
dmjlambert

What I did for a loud flasher

I went through a variety of flasher modules including ones that are supposedly loud, and concluded none are loud. I got tired of being one of those guys that drives down the road for 30 miles before realizing my turn signal is still on. So this is what I did. I bought a small solenoid from eBay, and cut the bottom inch off of a food can, and used a popsicle stick and construction adhesive to position the solenoid so it will hit the can bottom when energized. I turned in the sharp edge of the can and used pliers to crimp it down to make a smooth non-hazardous can edge. I cut a slot in the can and used a hose clamp to put it on my steering column. I wrapped a piece of solid 18 gauge wire to the bottom leg of my turn signal flasher for one of the solenoid connection wires, and connected the other wire to ground. It make a pleasant, crisp, and loud clack that I can hear over road noise, fairly loud radio, and engine.
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 04:32 PM   #2
truckster

Re: What I did for a loud flasher

My motorhome has a beeping alarm wired into the flasher circuit. It's incredibly annoying. Rather than removing it I put some electrical tape over it to quiet it. Your solution is very inventive. A beeper might be just the thing if you want audible evidence your turn signal is on.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
RichardJ

Sounds like a great idea, but I would like to offer one suggestion.

>> I turned in the sharp edge of the can and used pliers to crimp it down to make a smooth non-hazardous can edge.<<

I would use what they call a "Smooth Edge Can Opener". No sharp edge and the removed top makes a perfectly reusable sealed lid.

I use it for large canned dog food when only using 1/2 can. It seals well and doesn't stink up the refrigerator.

I use it for tuna cans to be used for small parts cans and the lid holds remarkably well.

I have used a tuna can for left over Por-15. I opened a can last week that had Por-15 for three years and it was still perfectly good. The Por-15 glues the already close fitting lid, so you have to very carefully tear the lid off with plyers.
Old 07-23-2022, 05:11 PM   #4
Getter-Done

Very good work there.

It reminded me of a Musical one I had one time.

It wasnt very loud though.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #5
sick472

Cool Stuff right there!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 07:38 PM   #6
CG
BlahBlahBlah

20 years from now long after you send this truck down the road a new to him truck owner is going to post a pic of this set up and ask if it’s stock lol
Old 07-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

Many years ago an old man told me he always drove Dodge trucks because the blinkers were loud. Best reason to drive a Dodge I ever heard.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:39 PM   #8
Sheepdip

Here in the Kalifornia Central Valley we normally have a lot of morning fog, so it's real easy to leave your lights on and return to a dead battery.

I tried several of the normal buzzer's that I simply couldn't hear. I finally ordered a good little siren that sounds like a European Police Car/Ambulance, makes the wife jump but not me, I'm deaf.

A guy I know is a real wizard at Automotive wiring, he used a Volvo Relay, not sure of it's original intent, but now when I turn the ignition off, and the lights are on it let's me know. Works for me!
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:45 AM   #9
franken

I think I'd just use the original bimetalic flasher to run a relay that switched a beeper or whatever and the turn signals.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:18 AM   #10
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
My motorhome has a beeping alarm wired into the flasher circuit. It's incredibly annoying. Rather than removing it I put some electrical tape over it to quiet it. Your solution is very inventive. A beeper might be just the thing if you want audible evidence your turn signal is on.
The Dutchstar after a few minutes of flashing it will start buzzing . It's very annoying my dad drove a couple of miles on 81 when we were going to Hershey when it was new with the buzzer going off. I asked him what the hell is that noise ? He said "what noise" guess if your hard of hearing it's not going to make you turn off the turn signal
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
jabborabbo

Excellent idea and write-up!
Old 07-24-2022, 02:40 PM   #12
jabborabbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
20 years from now long after you send this truck down the road a new to him truck owner is going to post a pic of this set up and ask if it’s stock lol
And some smart aleck will say “No, stock would be a Friskies tuna pate can.”
Old 07-24-2022, 03:10 PM   #13
jjzepplin

I would like the ebay number for that solenoid. I was lucky enough to find a couple of period correct headlight buzzers here on this site and it has saved me many times when on a mission at the home stores. My C10 has two batteries and two solenoids for starting. Long story of how it's hooked up but one battery runs the trailer brakes and other accessories but helps with the starting. An isolator charges them separately. I still love that little buzzer but I leave my signals on all the time. I am rebuilding my cluster and am thinking some super bright leds for the turn signals may be necessary. Or bigger incandescent bulbs but would have to change some things so that they did not melt. They flash anyway so I might be ok.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 06:26 PM   #14
dmjlambert

jjzepplin, Here is the listing for the solenoid I used.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123379006152
The bigger can the bigger the volume I think. I experimented with small pieces of metal and plastic for it to hit, and tried coffee cans, dog food cans, etc. It also makes different sounds depending on whether it hits near the edge or the middle of the can bottom, or somewhere in between. Steel seems to sound better than aluminum, to me. It would probably be practical to just rig it up on a bracket and make it hit the dash from somewhere on the bottom or inside. This is a little tiny solenoid, and a bigger beefier one would give you a significant clack. If I decide I want to turn it down, I'll probably switch to one of those little cans that ripe olives or mushrooms come in.

I have heard a lot of things sold as buzzers but they are more of a beeping device and make a high frequency squeal or beep that is pretty much useless for a hard-of-hearing person because high frequencies are often the hardest to hear for somebody loosing their hearing. Those high frequency buzzers, and real buzzers that make a deeper buzzing sound, to me are both annoying. I didn't want to make something annoying, just something noticeable so I can tell the turn signal is on.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:44 AM   #15
IlludiumQ36

Way to go, MacGyver!
IlludiumQ36 is offline   Reply With Quote