The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Smooth1SITF

My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wide Bed Pickup

Starting my slow restoration project on my newest family member, a 1969 Chevy C10 SWB Pickup. Was a childhood dream for me to have my very own and now the dream has come true. My old next door neighbor had one and ever since then I fell in love with them. I found her and rescued her in San Antonio, TX resting in a country home's driveway. Going to bring her back to life. It appears to have had some custom work done to her and she is missing a few items but I will be trying to bring her back to as close to factory specs. Rust as always is a issue with this one so I am going to be combating that. It's my very first project and want to do it right so if anyone has pointers, please let me know by posting here. Thank you for welcoming me to this family here. Below is what she looks like, and what I plan to have her look like when I finish:

Currently:

What I want her to look like in the end. Found this picture courtesy of Classic Trucks:

Smooth1SITF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
kcsa75

Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Wide Bed Pickup

You have good taste. That truck belongs to board member 72BlckButy.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Smooth1SITF

Yes, its a very nick pick-up truck. My kudos to him. The one I have was originally that color but someone had pained it dark blue.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Smooth1SITF

My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

Ok, here we go. Day 1 pick-up to current day. This will be my showcase here and I will be using the Texas Area Marines website (Website for US Marines in Texas) at www.TexasAreaMarines.org to showcase this build to as well and host the pictures.

As I had said before, this is my childhood dream, to have my very own Chevy C-10 from the 67-72 year range. I'm glad I found this 1969 because I love the body style. I purchased it for $2,500 in which I felt was a good deal for this type of rare find. According to the under-paint, it appears to have been an original Teal/Aqua color. VIN research will be made to verify. my original post shows a photo of what I wish for it to look like complete courtesy of Classic Trucks and 72BlckButy www.67-72chevytrucks.com

Original Craig's List listing photo (1) 1969 Chevy C-10 SWB

Original Craig's List listing photo (2)

Original Craig's List listing photo (3) - Current engine as I bought it. Here you can see the original Teal/Aqua color the truck was.

Engine: Currently - 350 / Proj Finish - 454 - Transmission: Currently - Muncie on the floor / Estimated to Finish - TBD - Bed: Currently Short Bed Fleetside w/Steel Floor / Finish - Short Bed Fleetside w/Red Oak Wood Floor & Matching Interchangeable Short Bed Stepside w/Red Oak Wood Floor
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
Smooth1SITF

Loading Up this rescued truck in San Antonio, TX. I made this run from Fort Worth, TX leaving at 12:30PM after sleeping from work 3 hours. Making it there in Southside of San Antonio off of Hwy 37 & Hwy 1604 at 4:45PM. It took a hour to fetch it out of the previous owners driveway and load it up on to the trailer. I left at 6PM and made it back home to Fort Worth, TX at 10:50PM and then back to work at 10:58PM. What a day.

Showing the bed is great condition. It says "No Title - 4 Sale" however, the person I purchased it from, went down and got a title for it. Title search/check was completed by me and everything was free & clear.

Showing a little of the rust under the door area at the rocker panels. I am going to be dealing with rust all over the truck but, I have been researching a solution to this by either replacing the cab in its entirely or using several sheet metal patches from the various vendors. Will continue to try and figure this part out.

Engine: Currently - 350 / Proj Finish - 454 - Transmission: Currently - Muncie on the floor / Estimated to Finish - TBD - Bed: Currently Short Bed Fleetside w/Steel Floor / Finish - Short Bed Fleetside w/Red Oak Wood Floor & Matching Interchangeable Short Bed Stepside w/Red Oak Wood Floor
Old 03-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
Smooth1SITF

More to follow as I start the process. Will be taking some more new ones tomorrow at the house with its younger 2012 GMC Sierra Denali Crew Cab cousin.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Smooth1SITF

Now starts the heavy work. This update shows a series of photos of the visual inspection before work was started on the first week of the restoral process.

Day 1 of the frame up restoration & rebuild, visual inspection and take-down. Now home sitting in its garage workshop spot, Pulled up the hood and took a look at the 350 engine underneath. It seems to be in great condition and overhaul-able.

A look at the cab shows severe rust damage on the roof section. Although that can be replaced by a brand new cab roof. There is more than it seems wrong with the cab. As you can see near the glass, there is a huge rust hole near the pillar.

Rocker panels are severally rusted out.

More rust damage on the passenger side rocker panel.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Smooth1SITF

Removal of the COWL uncovered the most devastating discovery. Severe rust on the A Pillar and firewall connection. also showing in the next photo. Due to this, unfortunately cab replacement seems to be necessary.

Showing this passenger side view is a little less rusted than the driver side however, still devastating to the cab and has caused the cab to be totally replaced.

Cab support is totally rusted and almost gone.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Smooth1SITF

So, with the severely damaged cab on the truck I purchased, I found this one online that I will be better for the restoration. I got it, a whole front clip with fenders, and a good hood for $350.00. Not too bad.

Roof section on the replacement cab is in decent condition. Only minor surface rust that can be taken off.

There is however a small dent on the cab roof, but easily can be worked out with body work.

Small rust hole that can easily be replaced in front of the rocker panel below the firewall.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Smooth1SITF

Minor rocker panel damaged that is easily replaced. The floor panel shows some damage but since it will be totally replaced anyways, not too much worried about it.

Even though most of the floor panel is in good condition, it will be fully replaced with a new floor panel to ensure that the cab is structurally sound.

Another view of the floor panel as well as the dash board. As you can see, it great condition. You can also notice that the radio section is in tact and has not been cut out to fit a modern radio. This is a plus for a period correct restoration.

This side looks great. as you can see, no rust holes on the A pillar.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:21 PM   #11
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1SITF View Post
What I want her to look like in the end. Found this picture courtesy of Classic Trucks:

That truck looks somewhat familiar...

Good luck with the build.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Smooth1SITF

Thumbs up My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72BlckButy View Post
That truck looks somewhat familiar...

Good luck with the build.
Yeah, I heard this pic was of your truck. I really like it a lot and is what I want mine to look like when it is done. Any pointers or ideas would be appreciated. I do have a question though. I'm sure its listed somewhere but I noticed yours has a CST-10 on it. What is the difference from the C-10 and the CST-10?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
litew8

Notice, yours does not have trim. CST=Custom Sport Truck

Last edited by litew8; 03-28-2014 at 07:53 PM.
litew8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Smooth1SITF

Cool My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
Notice, yours does not have trim. CST=Custom Sport Truck

I know what CST stands for, my question is what are the differances between the two that makes it a CST? Trim is one, and my truck did have trim but some dumb ass who had it before me put bondo on all the holes before they did a horrible paint job to change it blue. Im going to be putting it back but im trying to figure out what else they did to it.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #15
litew8

idk Try google. CST/10 has more trim, carpet etc... A 69 CST is comparable to a Cheyenne of later years. The C/10 is plain unless options were added.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #16
67_C-30
I have a radical idea!

From the dealer literature:

Stepside pickups and Cab/Chassis trucks;
Full depth foam seat with deluxe vinyl trim
carpeting
door trim panels
chromed front bumper
Cigar lighter
Headliner
Cargo lamp (mid '69 - on)
Bright condtrol knobs and pedal trim, rear window trim,wing vent trim,and windshield moulding trim
CST fender name plates
Bright side marker lamps
Door operated dome light switches
special insulation.
Fleetsides or Longhorn models, add...
lower body side mouldings with wood grain inserts
Wood grain tailgate panel
Tail light trim
Bright fuel filler cap.
'69 GMC C3500, dump truck, 351 V6, NP435
'84 M1009 CUCV Military Blazer

67 C-30 Turbodiesel build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=254096

My trucks
http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...ediafilter=all

Member of the 1-Ton Club!
67_C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #17
Smooth1SITF

Ok, here is an update. It's a couple of weeks old but I have been a bit busy to update it. So, with all due, here we go:

Couple of weeks ago I got some help from Ruben Sanchez, Richard Garcia and Jose Sanchez Jr getting the bed off. Another step closer to getting the truck stripped down and ready for the frame to get powder coated.

Frame is in decent condition. Small dent in rear cross-member that possibly can be taken out and replaced.

There are new springs that appear to have been replaced not too long ago. See the wrench laying on top? It was found still connected to the bolt that holds the right spring in.

Another view of the rear showing the minor damage to the cross member on the frame. Should not affect the integrity of the frame. Suggestions or ideas?

Old 04-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Smooth1SITF

Front clip was taken off. Had to have a little help as it take 2 people to get it off. (Picture taken next day)

Front frame has no damage. Gad to grind off the bolts on the bumper to get it off. Going to replace it anyways with a new one so no worries. Engine looks decent but cant tell till I get it and the Muncie manual transmission out.

Another view. Now just have to get the cab off. Almost ready to however, will need to get the steering wheel disconnected and some other minor stuff before its ready to be removed. Hopefully will be able to in a couple of weeks. Military has my schedule bogged down and currently at a stand still on working on the truck for 2 more weeks.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like a nice project. That original cab was really roached. I like your plans for the build. I have always loved Nate's 69. True classic...
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:52 AM   #20
Smooth1SITF

Thumbs up My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

You are correct. That original cab is horrible, but it can have some of the parts salvaged off of it. I do have 2 replacement cabs. I bought a 1969 long-bed cab a month ago and I picked up another one today from my old shop teacher Michael Middleton at North Side High School in Fort Worth, TX. The only issue with it is its a 1972 cab and I am building a 1969. The reason I bought this cab is because it has the factory AC vents and holes in which I do plan to go old school factory AC with my build so, im still making it into a 1969 because its a all around beautiful truck. I have the other cab extra and will be selling it soon (if anyone is interested) because I no longer need it.

I chose Nate's to model because it caught my attention and is just what I wanted, the color is perfect. I might go slightly different overall scheme than his with mine, but more than likely it will be close in similarity.

Ill post some new pics of the new cab here soon. I have some military duty next week and my tear-down project is currently on HOLD due to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looks like a nice project. That original cab was really roached. I like your plans for the build. I have always loved Nate's 69. True classic...
Old 02-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
Smooth1SITF

Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

Sorry everyone, its been a while since I updated you on the progress. Money slows progress but I a m doing what I can as fast as I can.

Currently, I have the frame stripped down and is almost ready for powder coating. I just need to remove a piece that was welded on to the truck that should not be there and we are ready to go.

I do have 1 rear bent cross member that doesn't affect the integrity of the frame that I would like to replace rather than repair but I cant find anywhere online that sells frame parts, at least I cant find it. If anyone knows of a place, please let me know.

Hotchkis Rear Suspension Kit has been ordered (Its on a crazy back-order) and hopefully will be here by the time it gets out of powder coating.

Will post some updated pictures here soon.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #22
SCOTI

Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1SITF View Post
Sorry everyone, its been a while since I updated you on the progress. Money slows progress but I a m doing what I can as fast as I can.

Currently, I have the frame stripped down and is almost ready for powder coating. I just need to remove a piece that was welded on to the truck that should not be there and we are ready to go.

I do have 1 rear bent cross member that doesn't affect the integrity of the frame that I would like to replace rather than repair but I cant find anywhere online that sells frame parts, at least I cant find it. If anyone knows of a place, please let me know.

Hotchkis Rear Suspension Kit has been ordered (Its on a crazy back-order) and hopefully will be here by the time it gets out of powder coating.

Will post some updated pictures here soon.
Early Classic Enterprises offers a replacement for that rear crossmember....
http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

Click the categories drop down box & it's under crossmembers.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #23
68Gold/white

I can't believe that original cab!!!
Looked like it was from a northern state!
That rear crossmember can be straightened w/ a torch, and hammer, no problem...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #24
calvin78612

Just read your build thread and like the direction your headed. I've always liked the color and overall stance of 72 BlckButy's truck. As far as the crossmember goes if it were me I would replace w/ an aftermarket one, and you will love those rivets. A grinder, punch,and big hammer have served me well ! If you need a hand let me know. If you have a cherry picker I have a cab and bed lift.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:14 AM   #25
Smooth1SITF

Thumbs up Re: My 1969 Chevrolet C-10 Short Bed/SWB Fleetside Pickup

Scoti,

Perfect! Exactly what I was needing. I was pulling my hair out trying to find it.

Just need to find the right hardware for it now and I am good.

Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Early Classic Enterprises offers a replacement for that rear crossmember....
http://www.earlyclassic.com/catalog.aspx

Click the categories drop down box & it's under crossmembers.