The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
old51sedan

Air Compressor

I'm trying to get my truck back together and at the same time installing Vintage Air. I understand that the rear end of the compressor (Sandan) can be rotated maybe a quarter of a turn towards the pass side of truck so that the lines running from it to the firewall aren't sticking straight up to give it a cleaner look. I need any advise I can get on how to do this, pictures would be really great.
Attached Images

old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
RodnRudy

Re: Air Compressor

There should be four mounting bosses on the front and rear of your compressor. Just unbolt the compressor from the brackets and rotate it one boss toward the passenger side of the truck. Reinstall it on the brackets and your good to go. I don''t have pics but that's how I did it on my last street rod.
RodnRudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
BigBird05

Has anyone thought to make brackets that mount the compressor down low below the lower rad hose?
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
old51sedan

In looking at the rear of the compressor, I don't believe it has to be unbolted at all. The picture shows bolts on the back that seem to be evenly spaced and the back piece should unbolt and hopefully can be turned one or two spots and be bolted back up. My only concern is I would like to know what if anything is going to jump out at me. Can anyone help me with that.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
RodnRudy

Why take a chance of breaking the seal by unbolting the rear compressor cap possibly ruining it? Just unbolt it from the brackets and rotate it one boss bolt it back up and your done. Cheaper than having to buy another compressor.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
old51sedan

I will take a closer look at it today, but I'm sure if I do that then the fill plug will be rotated past the 90 degree mark.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
mkmc69

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
I'm trying to get my truck back together and at the same time installing Vintage Air. I understand that the rear end of the compressor (Sandan) can be rotated maybe a quarter of a turn towards the pass side of truck so that the lines running from it to the firewall aren't sticking straight up to give it a cleaner look. I need any advise I can get on how to do this, pictures would be really great.
Nice! I'm going to be adding air to my 250 in the future as well. What is the part number of your water pump pulley?
mkmc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #8
old51sedan

RodnRudy, Just wanted to let you know that I did check it out. I knew it would be close, but by the time I rotated it and then pushed it up to tighten the belt the oil fill hole was within the specs that Vintage Air suggested. I believe it will make for a cleaner looking installation. Thanks, I will post a before and after picture.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
old51sedan

mkmc69,
This motor is a 292, so the pulley would be different for your 250. If you have PS on your motor you should have a two grove water pump pulley. I took a 250 out to install this 292, it has a two grove pulley, I will see if I can find a number on it for you.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
RodnRudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by old51sedan View Post
RodnRudy, Just wanted to let you know that I did check it out. I knew it would be close, but by the time I rotated it and then pushed it up to tighten the belt the oil fill hole was within the specs that Vintage Air suggested. I believe it will make for a cleaner looking installation. Thanks, I will post a before and after picture.
I'm glad it worked out for you. Since it's within Vintage Airs specs you shouldn't have any trouble with oil draining out of the compressor.