The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
saddletramp

72 C-10 Help

Evening Guys Ive got a 72 C10 i rebuilt my dash bezel put a new headlight switch in also a new plug for the headlight switch new dimmer switch on the floor i get all that done now the truck wont start not even turn over no clicking nothing and one dash light working and only low beam headlights i don't no where to begin can i get some idea,s where to start figuring this out Thanks
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:34 PM   #2
drewbert41

Re: 72 C-10 Help

Check your grounds?
drewbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #3
dmjlambert

I recommend get a multimeter and some alligator clip test wires, and use to check voltages. If you don't have those, they are available at car parts stores and are fairly inexpensive. Also a car parts store can test your battery and charge it if necessary.

Do you have good battery terminals? Let's see some pictures.

Make sure the transmission is in park or neutral and parking brake set. Then clip the positive terminal of the multimeter on the terminal on the starter that has the purple wire going to it. (It is the inboard small terminal on my truck that has a 350 engine and automatic transmission.) Clip the negative terminal on your engine on a clean bare metal place. Set it on the 20 volts DC range. When the key switch is in the start position, you will get around 12 volts to that terminal. If you get no voltage there, you have a neutral safety switch that could be preventing voltage from getting that far. Where it is depends on whether you have automatic transmission or manual. Test the voltage on both sides of the neutral safety switch.

Headlight and dash lights are probably not related to failure to start.

Wiring diagram
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...49#post7809749
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
saddletramp

Hi Sir I took my dash apart today i back tracked everything i did the day before 2 hours later i found my problem the red wire came off my ignition switch hooked it back up truck started right up this truck was a manual transmission truck PO installed a automatic transmission i cant find the neutral safety switch ive looked under the truck were do you think it would be Thanks for your help .Saddletramp
saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:05 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 72 C-10 Help

On the steering column under the dash. At least that's where the factory automatics where anyway.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote