The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2020, 06:04 PM   #1
ItWillBeSlow

Counterpart C20 Cab Mounts - Observations and Question

All,

I recently purchased and installed a C20/4x4 cab mount kit manufactured by counterpart. I want to share a few observations, and ask if other had a similar experience or if anyone can correct a mistake I have made.

The kit only came with new rear bolts. Luckily my front bolts were in good enough shape to reuse.

The washers included in the kit only fit the rear cab mount, and the bottom of the front radiator support. They all have a small diameter hole (like the rear), whereas the front mounts have a larger bolt and washers from the factory. I had to clean up and reuse my washers in order to reuse the front mount bolts.

No instructions, and the replacements are not the same size and shape as the factory. After some figuring, you can get the gist of what is supposed to go where.

When installing the rear, using the new bolts, and factory floor mounted "nutsert" (if that's the right word), the threads on the new bolt or nutsert will not allow me to torque to 35lb. I lost tension by 30 lb which appears to be stripping the threads in the bolt. This bolt is slightly longer than the original, but I dont think this means much other than it sticks up through the floor more.

QUESTION: when instealling the rear, am I supposed to cut out the factory "nutsert" and use the washer and supplied nut? Considering this kit didn't include everything to do the job right, or any half-azz instruction, I am questioning if there is any right way.

Attaching photo of rear/front/radiator mounts for reference.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Counterpart C20 Cab Mounts - Observations and Question

Additional photos of interior rear bolt, and comparison to factory.

I currently have 6 leftover washers due to their incompatibility with OEM bolt, and 2 left over nuts for the rear bolt.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
72c20customcamper

GThe bolts are most likely metric . That's why the dont hold in the cage nut . I re-used all the original bolts with mine the new were longer and didnt look right . Bought mine from Classic Parts Online
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 11-16-2020 at 07:35 PM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
ItWillBeSlow

Thanks. I would have re-used my rear bolts as well, however they were pretty rusty and thin in some areas, the new are definitely superior. Your top/rear rubber looks different than mine, more like the original.

At this point I am planning to put my replacement nut on top of the cage nut and sandwich it in. I cant think of a drawback to doing this unless someone else out there corrects this logic.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
72c20customcamper

Might crush the cage but I dont see why it wouldn't work
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #6
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
Thanks. I would have re-used my rear bolts as well, however they were pretty rusty and thin in some areas, the new are definitely superior. Your top/rear rubber looks different than mine, more like the original.

At this point I am planning to put my replacement nut on top of the cage nut and sandwich it in. I cant think of a drawback to doing this unless someone else out there corrects this logic.
I just replaced the ones in my C/10, I realize the C/20 and others are different. I ordered my parts from Manes chevy truck parts. It's a mom & Pop shop, easy to talk with and seemed very knowledgeable also. Mine came with all new bolts and diagrams to install. Came with additional washers also, took about an hour to install all 4 of them.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote