The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
elorenzof

Steering issues - lowered 1970 c10

Good afternoon,

Last year when i removed the front drum brakes for Disc, i opted to lower Phyllis as well. Putting her together with the Kit I purchased included drop 2.5" spindles, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, etc. from a well known supplier. (i kept the stock front springs). I have had nothing but steering issues since then. the truck wanders, tracks easily in freeway grooves etc. at first i thought it was the steering gear but today i took it to another shop to get aligned to see what they could do.

They said that i installed my center link backwards, that the tie rod ends are supposed to be installed and going into the centerlink from the back forward and i have them in going into the centerlink from the front. I gave him the ok to re-install the center link properly.

Then he called back and said with them trying to put the centerlink the "proper" way it is hitting the crossmember. (same crossmember).

so basically with my lowered truck i have the center link installed backwards and the steering is fighting itself especially when i turn as the wheels tilt inward and "scrub" during the turn.

what do i do?
elorenzof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Steering issues - lowered 1970 c10

I have to assume Phyllis is your truck !

When you changed from drum to disc did you per chance change the pitman arm?

Measure the center to center length of both the pitman arm and the idler arm...they must be the same.

The tie rods must come in from the rear of the center link...

Can you post pics of current setup?

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
elorenzof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
I have to assume Phyllis is your truck !

When you changed from drum to disc did you per chance change the pitman arm?

Measure the center to center length of both the pitman arm and the idler arm...they must be the same.

The tie rods must come in from the rear of the center link...

Can you post pics of current setup?
Here is a pic of my current setup. Yes i now see that they are installed the wrong way. but its a tapered hole in the center link designed to fit the tie rod ends only one way. (or vice versa) and it was attempted to turn the cross link around today but then center link hits the cross member as it will be too close. Yes i replaced the pitman arm and the idler arm too. what do you mean measure the center to center length? there has to be a solution other than go back to stock height.
Attached Images

Last edited by elorenzof; 09-30-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: adding picture
Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #4
AussieinNC

You need to compare the center to center length of the new pitman arm against the old one....

Swap the center link end for end and turn it around so the tie rod ends will come in from behind....

Being lowered has nothing to do with the placement of the cross link....

Hitting the cross member is usually because its in backwards and or the pitman arm is the wrong length....

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Madkidd007

These two pictures should help, one is a saved picture from the board and the other a 72 front end in my yard. As you can see the link is very tight, just being dirty will make it technically rub. You can not physically install the tie rods with the center link installed and centered. You have to turn the steering to be able to insert the tie rod or take the idler arm loose.
Attached Images

Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
elorenzof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madkidd007 View Post
These two pictures should help, one is a saved picture from the board and the other a 72 front end in my yard. As you can see the link is very tight, just being dirty will make it technically rub. You can not physically install the tie rods with the center link installed and centered. You have to turn the steering to be able to insert the tie rod or take the idler arm loose.
OH THANK YOU! Makes sense. I'll try that accordingly and send you a beer.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:00 AM   #7
elorenzof

STEERING ISSUES SOLVED.

i feel dumb. not only did i have the center link backwards i also had it flipped around. ugh. i drove like this with loose steering for almost 6 months. Phyllis is steering like a new truck again. thanks for all your help guys.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Madkidd007

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorenzof View Post
STEERING ISSUES SOLVED.

i feel dumb. not only did i have the center link backwards i also had it flipped around. ugh. i drove like this with loose steering for almost 6 months. Phyllis is steering like a new truck again. thanks for all your help guys.
Good deal. When properly set up these things can actually handle quite well
Syclone killer AWD T56 LS

Paypal please pay as Goods&Services Madkidd00000007@yahoo.com
Madkidd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
randy500
Account Suspended

If it makes you feel better....to install it backwards you have to flip it.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
If it makes you feel better....to install it backwards you have to flip it.
Yeah, it's not double whammy...still just single whammy.

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorenzof View Post
Good afternoon,

Last year when i removed the front drum brakes for Disc, i opted to lower Phyllis as well. Putting her together with the Kit I purchased included drop 2.5" spindles, tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, etc. from a well known supplier. (i kept the stock front springs). I have had nothing but steering issues since then. the truck wanders, tracks easily in freeway grooves etc. at first i thought it was the steering gear but today i took it to another shop to get aligned to see what they could do.

They said that i installed my center link backwards, that the tie rod ends are supposed to be installed and going into the centerlink from the back forward and i have them in going into the centerlink from the front. I gave him the ok to re-install the center link properly.

Then he called back and said with them trying to put the centerlink the "proper" way it is hitting the crossmember. (same crossmember).

so basically with my lowered truck i have the center link installed backwards and the steering is fighting itself especially when i turn as the wheels tilt inward and "scrub" during the turn.

what do i do?
Glad you got it sorted but this bit of info is SCARY. They couldn't figure out that it just needed to be flipped around?? A repair shop that does front end alignments?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:35 PM   #12
Side_hustle

Thank you for this thread, I just recently got my truck on the road and was having the exact same issues, checked under the front and sure enough I had the center section backwards. Swapped around and set toe and it’s all better now 👍🏻
Side_hustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:21 PM   #13
AllGoNoShow

Just curious so I can check this on my own truck. Can you have the center link installed in the right position, but still have the tie rod ends installed wrong (with the nuts on the inside)? Or if the tie rods are installed right (with nuts on front), does the center link always have to be in the right position? I only ask cause I measured and noticed my inner to outer tie rod end distance is 1/2 longer on one side then the other (and I was always under the impression they should be equal).
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:15 AM   #14
Side_hustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Just curious so I can check this on my own truck. Can you have the center link installed in the right position, but still have the tie rod ends installed wrong (with the nuts on the inside)? Or if the tie rods are installed right (with nuts on front), does the center link always have to be in the right position? I only ask cause I measured and noticed my inner to outer tie rod end distance is 1/2 longer on one side then the other (and I was always under the impression they should be equal).
No you cant have them swapped around if the center section is on correctly, they're tapered, not expert on alignments, but i assume the different distances on the tie rod end are due in part to when one was replaced or both the adjusting sleeve wasn't equaled out
Side_hustle is offline   Reply With Quote