The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Sourcing C10 Blank Tailgate

I am needing to source a blank tailgate for my C10 72 Cheyenne LWB. A week ago I ordered from GMCPauls and now have found out their the source is out of them (the ones they had were all damaged) and do not expect any until Dec at the earliest.

The tailgate on my was a replacement from the previous owners and it was really crap (sourced some 10 years ago). It would flexed when I would just stit on it. Then it more or less folded in half when I stepped back on it to catch my balance during unloading a jukebox.

So, any recommendations for other places that may have one in stock that is of known good (and solid) quality?

Thanks for any ideas.

I bought from reading this below and getting great product from GMCPauls before.
Quote:
1967-72 Chevrolet & GMC Fleetside truck & 1969-72 Blazer / Jimmy tailgate Blank (No Letters), original heavy 16 gauge steel, NEWEST TOOLING these are a exact fit, manufactured by same company making our lettered GM restoration part tailgates

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 11-06-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #2
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Sourcing C10 Blank Tailgate

LMC has this but I was worried it would not be as good as getting from GMCPauls (I hear mixed things about LMC parts).

They say 18 gauge? which is thinner/less strong that 16 gauge, right?

Quote:
Reproduction Tailgates are produced from new tooling with 18-gauge OE quality steel, as original, for strength and durability. The sturdy tailgate base outperforms current collision damage tailgates. Professional EDP (Electro Deposit Primer coating offers a smooth surface.

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 11-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
Willys_MB

I have one that I could sell, but shipping would probably kill the deal. Mines about 3 years old and was only on my truck for a year or so.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

i'd like to source a new one, as that is what the body shop is expecting. If it has to have extra prep work then they'll have to likely (I assume) up their quote. Plus I am not sure what insurance would do to cover any additional costs. But thank you for the idea.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
RustyPile

Here's a link to Classic Industries.. Description doesn't give the gauge of the metal..

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/t70321.html
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I am thinking now about a Dynacorn 1169 Tailgate

I did find at least one post where a member here got on and was happy with it. Though I am not sure what "1006 universal grade steels" mean.

Old 11-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
Here's a link to Classic Industries.. Description doesn't give the gauge of the metal..

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...ts/t70321.html
Thank you for that! I'll ring them up.

I did find this - which I knew what a original weighed
1967-72 Chevrolet, GMC Pickup Truck; Fleetside; Tailgate; without Logo; EDP Coating - Technical Specifications Weight: 59 Lbs

Last edited by Rich72C10; 11-06-2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
tallwelder

My local supplier of body parts for C10's told Me the tailgate without lettering is considerably lighter (made from lighter gauge) than the one with lettering.
Carl
tallwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:35 AM   #9
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Arrow Re: Sourcing C10 Blank Tailgate

Well, last night I went with AMD Tailgate - Plain Part# 925-4067-1. Came out ~6 dollars more than the from GMCPauls. Which Paul Jr. sent back my $$$ this morning before I even woke up. That was very quick, seeing that I requested my refund WAY after COB for them (and going into a weekend).

Stats of Tailgate:
TriPlus Automotive
Weight: 60.00 lbs
Gauge of Metal: 18 ga.

Reproduciton tailgate for the 67-72 Chevrolet / GMC C/K Fleetside Pickup, 1969-1972 Chevrolet Blazer & 70-72 GMC Jimmy

Stamped from 18 gauge, OE quality steel on new tools. Each premium tailgate features the correct shape, size, bends and holes, like original. EDP coated to help protect against rust and corrosion.
Here on the forms I read a few very old postings and they were not very positive on TriState. Though I read a number of positive reviews on these tailgates (Stepside, Chevy/GMC stamped, and Blanks) were the TriState part# matched at various resellers. I also called up AMD and they do not have a pattern of returns, other than ones that arrive damaged.

It is interesting that the one from GMCPauls is listed as 19 gauge and this one is 18 gauge. Anyways, so long as this one is exceeds the quality and strength of the one I am replacing, I'll be happy.

Last edited by Rich72C10; 11-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:11 PM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Well, last night I went with AMD Tailgate - Plain Part# 925-4067-1. Came out ~6 dollars more than the from GMCPauls. Which Paul Jr. sent back my $$$ this morning before I even woke up. That was very quick, seeing that I requested my refund WAY after COB for them (and going into a weekend).

Stats of Tailgate:
TriPlus Automotive
Weight: 60.00 lbs
Gauge of Metal: 18 ga.

Reproduciton tailgate for the 67-72 Chevrolet / GMC C/K Fleetside Pickup, 1969-1972 Chevrolet Blazer & 70-72 GMC Jimmy

Stamped from 18 gauge, OE quality steel on new tools. Each premium tailgate features the correct shape, size, bends and holes, like original. EDP coated to help protect against rust and corrosion.
Here on the forms I read a few very old postings and they were not very positive on TriState. Though I read a number of positive reviews on these tailgates (Stepside, Chevy/GMC stamped, and Blanks) were the TriState part# matched at various resellers. I also called up AMD and they do not have a pattern of returns, other than ones that arrive damaged.

It is interesting that the one from GMCPauls is listed as 19 gauge and this one is 18 gauge. Anyways, so long as this one is exceeds the quality and strength of the one I am replacing, I'll be happy.
Edit: photos of tailgate. Brother says only some minor dents that are to be expected and seem of good quality
Attached Images