The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Chiefdan

Sway bar question

While waiting to be able to post here I did a lot of searching and found that almost everyone recommends adding a sway bar. I have a 1967 Shortbed stepside with 350/350, power steering and front discs. I replaced the old 6 cyl front springs and found a complete 1 1/16 sway bar for $50. Even the rubber bushings looked good so I installed it using directions from this forum. Now I see that you should tighten everything with the suspension under load and I did it with the truck on jackstands. Did I preload the sway bar by doing this? Should I put the truck on ramps and loosen and retighten the front bushings or won't it make any difference. Thanks guys.
Chiefdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
Davidf

Re: Sway bar question

It is not a question of preloading the bar, but rather causing the mount bushings to be twisted and thus in a stressed state while the truck is just sitting in it's normal position (ie. no suspension deflection). So, simply loosen the mount brackets (all) while the truck is on the ground and then retighten/torque them.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:03 PM   #3
Chiefdan

Re: Sway bar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidf View Post
It is not a question of preloading the bar, but rather causing the mount bushings to be twisted and thus in a stressed state while the truck is just sitting in it's normal position (ie. no suspension deflection). So, simply loosen the mount brackets (all) while the truck is on the ground and then retighten/torque them.
Thank you David, that's what I needed. I loosened all the bolts, jumped on the bumper a few times and tightened everything up again. Looks the same but I feel better knowing it is done right.
Chiefdan is offline   Reply With Quote