The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2021, 12:03 AM   #1
saxart

Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Won't Take Grease

I put new MOOG upper and lower control arm bushings and shafts on my '70 C-10 about 2 years ago. Today while under the truck with a grease gun, I was reminded that a few of the grease fittings won't take grease and have never taken grease from the day they were installed. (I guess it slipped my mind until now)

Has anyone else had to deal with this issue? Of the 8 control arm grease fittings, only 3 of them will actually take grease. All of the fittings and the shafts look brand new as the truck is never driven in snow or rain, so this isn't an issue with a clogged grease fitting. Could the end cap nuts just be tightened too tight which is bottoming out the grease fitting?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!
Old 06-13-2021, 01:52 AM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Won't Take Grease

The bushings ride on threads on the ends of the shafts. The shafts need to be centered evenly between the bushings. If a shaft is spun too far into one bushing and out of the other bushing, then the end of the shaft can bump up against the inside of the bushing and block the grease port. Maybe you could try pumping in grease with the wheels on the ground so the shafts will be in a slightly different position.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:54 AM   #3
Bob B.

Re: Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushings Won't Take Grease

When they are new and tight, they don't take much grease. You can replace the zerks to be sure they are O.K. and the holes are clear. Mine were difficult to lube until I put a few miles on the truck and the bushings wore in a bit.