The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2021, 10:43 PM   #1
jocko

Somewhat useless Truck trivia...

Ok, if this is a stupid idea, we can ask the mods to delete it completely but I find tidbits like this scattered throughout tons of threads on here - obscure little factoids that really don't matter in the grand scheme - things you find that are indeed odd about these trucks. List em here, pose them as questions, and don't answer until you get at least a few guesses/responses- but don't forget to come back and post the answer IN the original post! (so folks don't have to wade thru a bunch of posts to find the answer if interested)

I'll go first..

In 1972, what was the ONLY exterior primary color for which you had to place a special order to get a BLACK interior?

ANSWER: Dark Olive Black interior trim was not a standard offering with Dark Olive exterior paint (in solid or any two tone schemes). Things that make you go hmm.

Last edited by jocko; 08-05-2021 at 03:23 PM.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:48 AM   #2
lux

Re: Somewhat useless Truck trivia...

Midnight Black???
lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
dagnabbitt

Not a stupid idea, but I guess I don't want to look stupid with a stupid answer

But here goes:

Ochre?
1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #4
jocko

There are no stupid answers, this is off the wall stuff! Thanks for guessing - both good guesses btw. Answer added to post #1.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #5
402Bowtie

Some follow-up questions on the original question:
1) Does the answer only apply to non-Cheyenne Super trucks? I think you'd have to get blue, olive, or parchment door panels on a dark olive Super, correct?
2) If you had a non-super dark olive truck with tilt and standard interior trim, would just the dash pad be black and everything else the standard trim color?
3) Also, I'm curious....What do you mean by "special order" in this instance? Where does that show up on the build sheet or spid? I would think either way the interior and exterior colors are just listed on the spid and build sheet as any other truck would have been...
402Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #6
402Bowtie

A couple I'll add:

A) True or false: For 67-72 C10 and C20 trucks, if the truck had factory power brakes, the power brakes option will be listed on the truck's SPID.

B) T or F: You could order a 67-72 C10 or C20 truck without a spare tire.

C) T or F: The tool box door option was available on all 70-72 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton trucks.

A) False. I'm second guessing myself now, but I believe the true statement is that every 67-71 and 72 1/2 ton truck would list power brakes as an option. But 72 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks came standard with power brakes.

B) I added this one just to try to throw people off. So, FALSE. I think every truck came with some sort of spare tire setup.

C) False. It could not be ordered on K trucks.

Last edited by 402Bowtie; 08-06-2021 at 11:47 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:01 PM   #7
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

A is false. 3/4T and 1T trucks were equipped with power brakes as part of the package, so not listed on the SPID.

B is sort of true. You had to order the spare tire, they weren't factory equipped with it. I think that only the wheel was included. Seems kind of stupid, to me. Marketing, I suppose.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:40 PM   #8
toms68cst

For '68 at least, (perhaps this applies for other years too.)What was the ONLY chrome trim piece available as part of the CST package that was not available on the Custom or other separate option? I look for this trim piece every time I spot a picture of a 68 CST.

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:11 PM   #9
Chevyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402Bowtie View Post
A couple I'll add:

A) True or false: For 67-72 C10 and C20 trucks, if the truck had factory power brakes, the power brakes option will be listed on the truck's SPID.

B) T or F: You could order a 67-72 C10 or C20 truck without a spare tire.

C) T or F: The tool box door option was available on all 70-72 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, and 1 ton trucks.
C- I believe to get a tool box door the truck had to be ordered with disc brakes
Also tool box doors were not available on k trucks
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:26 PM   #10
jocko

Quote:
Some follow-up questions on the original question:
1) Does the answer only apply to non-Cheyenne Super trucks? I think you'd have to get blue, olive, or parchment door panels on a dark olive Super, correct?
2) If you had a non-super dark olive truck with tilt and standard interior trim, would just the dash pad be black and everything else the standard trim color?
3) Also, I'm curious....What do you mean by "special order" in this instance? Where does that show up on the build sheet or spid? I would think either way the interior and exterior colors are just listed on the spid and build sheet as any other truck would have been...
1. Answer applies to all trucks (with Primary paint color of dark olive), regardless of trim level (and yes, as you pointed out, a Super is even more restrictive, offering only parchment, olive, or blue custom cloth as interior trim colors.
2. On a dark olive truck with tilt, regardless of trim level, only the column and steering wheel would be black.. Dash pad color would be driven by trim color. ONE exception I can think of regarding the dash pad color would be a Highlander - I "think" but am not certain that a dark olive Highlander would indeed have a black dash pad. But I have seen pics of some with what appear to be olive dash pads. Would love to find an answer to that... I think the brochures say black for the highlanders, but would have to confirm that.
3. Good question - what I meant to say was that any non-standard trim combo could be ordered. "Special Order" may not be the right choice of words. How it would appear on the SPID is also a good question, I "think" there would be an "ORDER NO.____" in the lower right portion of the SPID, which I think means that a dealer or customer ordered the combo of options shown on the SPID -(Keith - is that correct?) - and the black interior trim code would also be listed on the SPID.
Great questions Would be good to see if anyone out there has a SPID that shows a dark olive truck with a black interior - would be curious if there's an Order No. ____ in the lower right of the SPID. Again, Order No. doesn't necessarily mean anything "special" other than someone opted for that specific combo of options - and all could be allowable options without special ordering, per se. So maybe that is the real question here - IF someone wants something other than what is a standard offering (i.e. black interior in a dark olive truck, for example), how did one order it and how did it appear on the SPID afterward? Non-standard interior colors didn't get an equivalent of a "Special Paint" RPO, but did they get the "Order No" nomenclature because it would have to have been "ordered" to get black interior trim in a dark olive truck. Hmm...
Old 08-05-2021, 11:04 PM   #11
Chevyland

[QUOTE=jocko;8954210]1. Answer applies to all trucks (with Primary paint color of dark olive), regardless of trim level (and yes, as you pointed out, a Super is even more restrictive, offering only parchment, olive, or blue custom cloth as interior trim colors.

What about dark olive super
With black buckets

Wasn’t that a check the box combo ?
Chevyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:34 PM   #12
jocko

That's a good question Eric. Since bucket seat covers were never available with Custom Cloth, all the recommended vinyl colors were available - but I think black buckets would still have been considered a non-standard order (or whatever the right term is for what would be an otherwise unallowable combo - unallowable without some form of special order (again, maybe not the right choice of words)). So, I think you could choose any color vinyl except black for the buckets in a dark olive Super (or any trim level for that matter) - or order black as a special order since black interior trim was not one of the options for any dark olive truck, regardless of trim level. But there's gotta be exceptions out there - or someone must've ordered black interior in a dark olive truck.

Here's the reference - note only the Super and all Dark Olive combos are grayed out for black interior trim. Also note the important note for dealers at the top - the word I was looking for was "recommended" - i.e. the only exterior color for which Chevrolet did not recommend a black interior was Dark Olive.

So, the question is - how did one go about getting an interior color that was not "recommended" by Chevrolet? Special Order?
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2021, 10:50 AM   #13
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
A is false. 3/4T and 1T trucks were equipped with power brakes as part of the package, so not listed on the SPID.

B is sort of true. You had to order the spare tire, they weren't factory equipped with it. I think that only the wheel was included. Seems kind of stupid, to me. Marketing, I suppose.
A) edited: 71-72 20 and 30 series trucks came standard with J70 power brakes option, so the J70 option will not appear on these SPIDs. However, the J70 option will appear on the SPID of all 67-70 models as well as 71-72 1/2 tons with factory power brakes.
B) I thought my statement was purely false, in that you had to order some type of spare tire setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyland View Post
C- I believe to get a tool box door the truck had to be ordered with disc brakes
Also tool box doors were not available on k trucks
You're correct about the k trucks. But the option was available in 70 (and maybe 69?) without disc brakes.

Last edited by 402Bowtie; 08-06-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #14
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post

Here's the reference - note only the Super and all Dark Olive combos are grayed out for black interior trim. Also note the important note for dealers at the top - the word I was looking for was "recommended" - i.e. the only exterior color for which Chevrolet did not recommend a black interior was Dark Olive.
That's an interesting chart. So if you went against the recommendation and requested a Dark Olive Cheyenne Super with a bench seat with black trim...would you receive an olive vinyl/houndstooth seat with every other interior trim piece being black? Or would the seat violate the Cheyenne Super Olive/Parchment/Blue houndstooth rule, and you would receive a black vinyl/houndstooth seat? So many questions... Either way that would be an interesting truck to see.

Dark olive seems to be a somewhat rare color to begin with....I've got one but it is only a Cheyenne (and it has olive interior).
Old 08-06-2021, 11:41 AM   #15
70cst

I like it - Keep it going

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #16
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
For '68 at least, (perhaps this applies for other years too.)What was the ONLY chrome trim piece available as part of the CST package that was not available on the Custom or other separate option? I look for this trim piece every time I spot a picture of a 68 CST.
I have no idea on this one. When you say "chrome," you do mean chrome, right? Not stainless or aluminum?

Maybe the side mirror?
Old 08-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #17
697498chevy

Always thought it was kinda strange that my 1969 C 10 came with only 2 seatbelts . Guess the middle passenger was out of luck ? Lap belt probably doesn't help much anyway . Thanks !
697498chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #18
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
A) Only in '72 though, right? Doesn't a '71 3/4 ton truck list the power brakes as an option?
B) I thought my statement was purely false, in that you had to order some type of spare tire setup.

You're correct about the k trucks. But the option was available in 70 (and maybe 69?) without disc brakes.
I worked on and off for 2 different Chevy dealers from '70 to '72, and that's what I remember being the case, for the spare. Of course, I've misremembered more than one thing from that era! I don't know about '71 specifically for power brakes, my understanding is what I wrote. Maybe someone with a '71 will chime in.

My '70 is a Longhorn, but is missing the scripts on the bed. I suspect that it was hit and repaired, because the box is not truly square- something I didn't know until I had the new shell put on and it didn't line up right. It doesn't appear to have ever had the holes for the scripts. Possibly it was built on a hangover Monday and the guy forgot to put them on.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA

Last edited by Steeveedee; 08-06-2021 at 03:16 PM.
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #19
Keith Seymore

Quote:
"Special Order" may not be the right choice of words. How it would appear on the SPID is also a good question, I "think" there would be an "ORDER NO.____" in the lower right portion of the SPID, which I think means that a dealer or customer ordered the combo of options shown on the SPID -(Keith - is that correct?) - and the black interior trim code would also be listed on the SPID.
Great questions Would be good to see if anyone out there has a SPID that shows a dark olive truck with a black interior - would be curious if there's an Order No. ____ in the lower right of the SPID. Again, Order No. doesn't necessarily mean anything "special" other than someone opted for that specific combo of options - and all could be allowable options without special ordering, per se.
Every truck has a "Dealer Order Number", whether it was ordered by a dealer for stock, or to a customers specific specifications, and regardless of whether or not it appears on the SPID.

The Dealer Order Number is how the truck was tracked through the early stages and until assigned to a final build assembly location. The order number correlates to a PVI (Primary Vehicle Identifier) once it is entered at the plant, then those filter into the various build sequence numbers (body shop sequence, trim sequence and General Assembly ("GA", or final line) sequence numbers. The GA sequence number is the gold source in the assembly plant (nobody cares about the VIN until it is released out of captivity). As a result, trucks are not necessarily built in VIN order in most assembly plants.

*As an aside - every truck is "sold" before it gets built, again either to a dealer for stock or to a specific customer.
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-07-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:42 PM   #20
Keith Seymore

Quote:
I'm not as sure on the '67-72 models, but for the squarebodies you did not have to get a spare.

That's why the tire RPO codes are broken down into three separate lines:

Xxx = front tire
Yxx = rear tire
Zxx = spare tire

That allowed you to get a specific type of front tire, a different type of rear tire, and a third type (or no) spare tire.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #21
Keith Seymore

Quote:

So, the question is - how did one go about getting an interior color that was not "recommended" by Chevrolet? Special Order?
Through the fleet organization.

They have a whole nuther world of SEO's (Specialty Equipment Options) that allow them to build unusual trucks for fleets like U Haul or Ryder, or as police vehicles.

K
1986 - 2019
Old 08-06-2021, 04:11 PM   #22
Ironhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I worked on and off for 2 different Chevy dealers from '70 to '72, and that's what I remember being the case, for the spare. Of course, I've misremembered more than one thing from that era! I don't know about '71 specifically for power brakes, my understanding is what I wrote. Maybe someone with a '71 will chime in.

I am no authority by no way but did find this so thought would offer it here.

Found in my copy of Motorbooks International "Chevrolet Pickup - Red Book" As from page 173 of 1971 pickup "Facts"

"Mechanically, the disc braces became standard equipment on all trucks. These were power assisted on all models except the 1/2 ton, for which power assist was optional. All pickups were equipped with a small yellow caution sticker on the tailgate" (The disc brake sticker I referred to earlier in the thread)

My K10 has power assisted front discs, still has the original SIPD on the glove box door. Will check the SIPD tag and see if anything is mentioned about power assist as an option. Never looked that closely before.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #23
402Bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
I am no authority by no way but did find this so thought would offer it here.

Found in my copy of Motorbooks International "Chevrolet Pickup - Red Book" As from page 173 of 1971 pickup "Facts"

"Mechanically, the disc braces became standard equipment on all trucks. These were power assisted on all models except the 1/2 ton, for which power assist was optional. All pickups were equipped with a small yellow caution sticker on the tailgate" (The disc brake sticker I referred to earlier in the thread)

My K10 has power assisted front discs, still has the original SIPD on the glove box door. Will check the SIPD tag and see if anything is mentioned about power assist as an option. Never looked that closely before.
Being a half-ton, I think you'll find your K10 has the J70 option listed on your SPID.

I'm starting to think that 71-72 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks came standard with power brakes. 1970 and older 3/4 tons and 1 ton trucks had it listed on the SPID as an option (see attached 1-ton 1970 SPID that show the J70 option, then a 71 3/4 ton that has several heavy-duty options, but no J70 option--suggesting they were likely standard on 3/4+ ton trucks starting in 71.)
Attached Images

Last edited by 402Bowtie; 08-06-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2021, 04:50 PM   #24
Ironhorse

Just went to look at the SIPD for my K10. Nothing at all listed of any sort for the disc brakes. My K was built in St. Louis, I see the 2WD SIPD you show was built in Fremont (?) Z ?

Thinking maybe a variation in the different plants producing these trucks in the way the SIPD tags are produced and coded? No idea, my truck is pretty basic, Custom/10 with only a few options listed. Can't today, have to leave shortly but will get a pic of the SIPD posted to this thread at another time.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 04:59 PM   #25
Joesjunk

All 4 wheel drive 71-72’s had power brakes standard. Trucks and Blazers both

3/4 ton and 1 ton 2wd 71-72’s all had power brakes as standard also
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe
72 3/4t 4x4 Custom deluxe 91k original paint
72 Cheyenne/30 Dually
69 Camaro SS396 4-speed
13 GMC 2500HD Duramax I bought new
05 Jeep Wrangler "Willys Edition" 12k miles (I bought new)
85 3/4 ton 4x4 Scottsdale 33k miles original paint
86 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 454 restored
80 1 ton 4x4 SRW Silverado 9,434 original miles!! original paint
95 GMC 1 ton dually 4x4 my dad bought new
95 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4, regular cab 454, 31k original miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 6.0L 67k miles
2002 2500HD 4x4 regular cab 8.1L 28k miles
2003 GMC 2500HD 4x4 regular cab Diesel 93k miles

67-72 Parts for sale
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote