The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #1
Warren

1972 GMC Headlights

sorry to ask this. Driving home last week driver side low bream was out. Two cops 10 feet away in two places left me alone. 2:00 am on back roads, dont they do their jobs I was thankful

So ordered the part from what was Avenue and now is Napa. Out of the box today my original was carillo and had a seperate bulb with a Rubber boot. Replkacement bulb cannot come out and I cant use the two rings that fasten onto the headlight to put the rubber boot over. I asked what choices I had and think twice.

I try not to buy china stuff for my shop. Good quality US and and european machines. Many of them older heavy duty and high quality. I have 40 plus years on a used Rockwell 3 x 21 belt sander and it goes strong still. Same with all the US senco made staple guns, quality last forever.

I bought the high beam as well as its been cracked forever but always worked fine

My friend Grasshopper said I should not have bought Halogen as I likely dont have a relay. I said all four are Halloben and I have 18 years driving on them.

Relay I will approach another day. I can see the bulb filament is broken., some subdivision roads near my parents home are pothole brutal. Im in a truck that has more rattles than I could count. its terrible there. Will approach the shake rattles and rolls when I can

So in the meantime do I just use this china stuff then find another supplier and get a seperate bulb set up so I can use the rubber boot., Then for the cracked high beam replace that with a new glass only part and new bulb same time

thanks appreciate your help and last starter motor help the thing works better than ever and it always worked great

w
Attached Images

Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: 1972 GMC Headlights

Your old headlamp has a replaceable bulb and the rubber boot helps to seal out moisture. The new lamp is a sealed-beam unit and does not use (or need) a boot. Either will work okay without a relay, and either will work better with a relay. Since your GMC is a 4-eye, you'll need two relays, one for high beams and one for low beams.

Your new lamp looks bigger than the old one. Is that just an optical illusion b/c the new one is sitting on the box, therefore closer to the camera? Your GMC has four 5 3/4" lamps, while Chevys have two 7" lamps.

Your choice what to use but you already have the sealed-beam lamp so why not use it? If/when it fails, buy whatever you like to replace it.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
Sheepdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Your old headlamp has a replaceable bulb and the rubber boot helps to seal out moisture. The new lamp is a sealed-beam unit and does not use (or need) a boot. Either will work okay without a relay, and either will work better with a relay. Since your GMC is a 4-eye, you'll need two relays, one for high beams and one for low beams.

Your new lamp looks bigger than the old one. Is that just an optical illusion b/c the new one is sitting on the box, therefore closer to the camera? Your GMC has four 5 3/4" lamps, while Chevys have two 7" lamps.

Your choice what to use but you already have the sealed-beam lamp so why not use it? If/when it fails, buy whatever you like to replace it.
First thing I noticed was the new one looked like a 7"...but could be a camera trick.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
Warren

yeah camera trick,

im just off the map busy and had to get something in there and didnt take old apart, the new one is to5tal junk, looks hello and has a mouses fart of volume to it., so much so I didnt think it was working till I got out at night testing it. At least I wont get pulled over. soon as some time will record what is in it now. I dont know for sure there is not relay only that grasshoper said that and he said there should be. Its possible one was put in as ive had the truck 18 years and neither past owner knew a ton about the truck. I have two owners back and anytime I call and say hi he asks "are you ready to sell it back to me"

Appreciate your good info as always, This is a great site, people who truly love and put time and effort into these., Not the same in hobbies or whatever you want to call them. I have to do leaves as they are original so when time ill go back to past research. Have just sent the photo I posted ot th edealer to find out more.

Bulbs are from Germany and the truck had better at night vision than any car ive owned so far, when I put the highs on I get some serious light out from. Im old and just putter along, 411 rear end contributes to that as well 700R in the attic waiting. In the city 3 speed and 411 is brilliant, loaf along 1,400 RPM in third

will see how they respond about buibs. My mistake not to have tkaen this apart before ordering but I asked what all my options were and never answered sooooo
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:34 PM   #5
54blackhornet

I have a GMC with H4 halogen bulbs inside Hella units. You definitely need relays to operate all four, IE high beams. Without relays the internal headlight switch overloads...
Attached Images