The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Oliver.G

First Time Changing Clutch

Hello,

The clutch on my 69' GMC 350ci with a granny 4 speed is getting to the end of its life. It still hooks up well, but the engagement is quite high. I feel in a month or two it will be time for a new clutch. I have very minimial experiance working on cars. I have adjusted my carb and change the oil and thats about it. Is this a job I can do with a friend, the right tools and a weekend? Or should I take it to a shop? I am all for learning to work on my own. But I need an opinion on whether this job is too tricky.

Thank you
Oliver.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: First Time Changing Clutch

As an old Texas cowboy once told me, "nobody was born learnt." You got to go for it. Especially if you own one of these old trucks.

Not a difficult job to do if you have the proper tools and do a little studying on how to do it. These days there's a lot of good info on the net.

Most important thing I can tell you is to get good parts and ask questions.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver.G View Post
Hello,

The clutch on my 69' GMC 350ci with a granny 4 speed is getting to the end of its life. I am all for learning to work on my own. But I need an opinion on whether this job is too tricky.

Thank you
I'm a first timer at all this stuff but I take a lot of pictures. HERE is a link to my website that shows the assembly of the drivetrain from the engine and back. Among the photos, you will see the various components of the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc and bell. My T5 is very similar to your 4 speed as far as installation. I hope looking at the thread will give you more confidence. Having a helper will definitely be a plus.

You will not need to remove the bell but you might want to remove the flywheel to have it resurfaced. It would be good if you could borrow a transmission jack to make removal and installation easier. A new release bearing should be used. Good luck.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 12-17-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:08 AM   #4
87Skier

I have a 72 GMC Jimmy and I have to say these are pretty easy to work on.

It really depends on if yours is 4x4 or not. If it is 2wd then I would pull the transmission from under the truck. You are going to need some muscle though. Those 4 speeds are heavy.

If it's 4wd, I would probably pull the engine. It is actually a lot easier than it seems. It has two mounts on the cross member and the transmission mounts, fuel line, coolant hoses and a few other things. The only real downside is that you usually have to pull the distributor to get the motor out, which would require retiming your engine.

Don't forget that you need to get the flywheel resurfaced.

At a bare minimum for tools I would recommend:
- Screwdriver set
- 3/8" Ratchet set
- Several long extensions for the ratchet (helps when getting the trans to engine bolts at the top
- Wobbly or universal joint for the ratchet
- Jack stands
- Floor jack
- Pry bars
- Wrench set
- Timing light

It really comes down to if you want to learn to do it or not. If you have the time and don't need the vehicle for a week then I say go for it.
87Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:56 AM   #5
Alex V.

May be asking the obvious here, but have you adjusted the linkage? If it isn't slipping yet I'd keep it in adjustment until it does start slipping. Then, it's really not that hard - several heavy componemts to be dealt with but it's hard to get more straightforward than a 4-speed small block with a linkage clutch.

1985 GMC C3500 SRW, Sierra Classic, 454/TH400, white/blue.
Alex V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #6
AcampoDave

Here's my 2 cents worth... I hate trying to remove and replace, those granny trannys with a jack and brute strength. So, I figured out a way to do it solo and not even break a sweat. Simply pull the floor hump and bolt a short chain to the top of the tranny where the cover attaches, remove the shifter, (you have to push down really hard on the collar where the stick goes into the hole and twist) then bring an engine hoist in thru the passenger door, unbolt the tranny from the bell housing, hook the chain and wiggle that beast out of there using the hoist to be the strongman. The hoist makes putting it back even easier. No four letter words required!
Edit: I just saw you have a 69 GMC and I'm not sure if the center hump is removable like on the earlier models.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-18-2015 at 08:43 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
Marshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex V. View Post
May be asking the obvious here, but have you adjusted the linkage? If it isn't slipping yet I'd keep it in adjustment until it does start slipping. Then, it's really not that hard - several heavy componemts to be dealt with but it's hard to get more straightforward than a 4-speed small block with a linkage clutch.
I agree this is the best place to start.
Marshy is offline   Reply With Quote