The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
pFred

261 fuel pump block off plate

Someone stuck a '58 261 stovebolt into my '63 C10 a looong time ago. While it's a great engine, it ABSOLUTELY is NOT staying in my truck. I'm converting to an electric fuel pump in preparation for the next engine, but will use this engine for another year or two. Is there a fuel pump block off plate for these? Maybe it's a pretty standard opening as other engines?
pFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:42 AM   #2
G&R's57GMC

Re: 261 fuel pump block off plate

Take the gasket to the parts house and compare it with a small block gasket most likely they are the same , if so then there is a block off plate for the small block v8 that will do the job .

If not you could make one out of 1/8” plate that would cover the hole . Wouldn’t have to be the same shape as long as it covered the hole .
'56 Chevy Long Bed I6, 4 speed Bought 1990 Sold 8.22.2020
’56 GMC Suburban Pickup V8, 4 speed Hydramatic Bought 1996 Sold 10.11.2020
My Other Tinkerings http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...75#post8967275
G&R's57GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
geezer#99

Why bother!
Leave the pump there, plug off the inlet and outlet and you’re done.
What are you gonna use for an electric pump?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
mr48chev

You could trace the outlne of the gasket on a piece of flat plate or even a piece of flatbar and cut out a block off plate.

Or cross reference the gasket to see if it fits a V8 that they sell block off plates for. I'm With G&R though in that I just don't see why you feel the need unless there is oil leaking out of the pump.

It takes the same Fel pro 6579 Gaket as the V8 fuel pump does.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #5
pFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC View Post
Take the gasket to the parts house and compare it with a small block gasket most likely they are the same , if so then there is a block off plate for the small block v8 that will do the job .

If not you could make one out of 1/8” plate that would cover the hole . Wouldn’t have to be the same shape as long as it covered the hole .
It looks like the same shape as an SBC, without having removed it to verify. There are lots of plates for those at Summit, I was just hoping someone knew for sure while I'm ordering parts so I have everything on hand at one time. With Xmas coming, orders could take quite a while in the snail mail.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:46 AM   #6
pFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Why bother!
Leave the pump there, plug off the inlet and outlet and you’re done.
What are you gonna use for an electric pump?
It's leaking some oil, and I'd rather clean up the appearance than have a derelict part just hanging there. The plates are cheap, $7-$15.

I'm changing to fuel injection, so I'm going to be using a Walbro high pressure pump, with a by-pass fuel pressure regulator. My idea is to mount the FPR on the block off plate and use the stock fuel pipes.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #7
pFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You could trace the outlne of the gasket on a piece of flat plate or even a piece of flatbar and cut out a block off plate.

Or cross reference the gasket to see if it fits a V8 that they sell block off plates for. I'm With G&R though in that I just don't see why you feel the need unless there is oil leaking out of the pump.

It takes the same Fel pro 6579 Gaket as the V8 fuel pump does.
It is indeed leaking a bit of oil, and I'd rather clean things up, plus I'm thinking I'll use the block off plate as a mount for a by-pass FPR. Knowing it "does" indeed use the same gasket as the SBC helps, THANKS! I was just hoping someone would know that, so I could order everything at one time to minimize repair time.
Old 11-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by pFred View Post
It's leaking some oil, and I'd rather clean up the appearance than have a derelict part just hanging there. The plates are cheap, $7-$15.

I'm changing to fuel injection, so I'm going to be using a Walbro high pressure pump, with a by-pass fuel pressure regulator. My idea is to mount the FPR on the block off plate and use the stock fuel pipes.
You’ll need to limit the pressure to 4 psi for your carb.
Your Walbro pump just like other electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. It needs to be placed as close to the tank as is possible.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
pFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
You’ll need to limit the pressure to 4 psi for your carb.
Your Walbro pump just like other electric pumps are designed to push fuel, not pull it. It needs to be placed as close to the tank as is possible.
Yep, the range on my by-pass FPR is 3-10psi. I was contemplating taking the filter sock off the sender unit and using the syphon tube as a return instead, and adding the feed to the bottom of the tank so I have gravity pushing the fuel down and out to the pump, like many factory setups. It would even be pretty easy to cut the tank open on top and add a baffle.
Old 11-22-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
mr48chev

One question, Can you find a regulator that will actually cut the fuel pressure down to the 3 or 4 lbs max that the carb needs that is of a high enough quality to do the job and how much more will it cost than a stock replacement fuel pump for that engine?

A new fuel pump for the 261 that doesn't have the vacuum pump for the wipers is 20 bucks from Rock Auto and a little over 30 from O'Reillys. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+pump,6256

Then is it the pump or the gasket behind it that is leaking? I'm just not seeing the wisdom of swapping to the high pressure pump and then having to buy a pressure regulator to cut the pressure to match what the carb needs. Plus if you go to advertise and sell the 261 before you pull it and are able to take a potential buyer for a ride in the truck the new fuel pump is a selling aid. Throw in that my experience says that being able to show someone how well an engine actually runs down the road is added value.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:00 PM   #11
dsraven

if it is leaking then you should remove it and block it off. sometimes they will leak out the weep hole a little but that is a prerunner to a big leak, sometimes fuel. while the fuel leak does a great job of cleaning the side of the engine it also is a huge fire hazard if it starts leaking gas.
its easy to make your own plate. like mr 48 says, trace the gasket on a piece of steel, drill a few holes, instant block off plate. not pretty but if that isn't a big deal for you then it's the cheap way to go.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:33 PM   #12
mick53

I don't know about the 261 but on my 292 the SBC fit ok but was not the right shape to look good. I just made one out of some 1/4" aluminum I bought at the hardware store. It was pretty simple and looks much nicer.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
pFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
One question, Can you find a regulator that will actually cut the fuel pressure down to the 3 or 4 lbs max that the carb needs that is of a high enough quality to do the job and how much more will it cost than a stock replacement fuel pump for that engine?

A new fuel pump for the 261 that doesn't have the vacuum pump for the wipers is 20 bucks from Rock Auto and a little over 30 from O'Reillys. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...fuel+pump,6256

Then is it the pump or the gasket behind it that is leaking? I'm just not seeing the wisdom of swapping to the high pressure pump and then having to buy a pressure regulator to cut the pressure to match what the carb needs. Plus if you go to advertise and sell the 261 before you pull it and are able to take a potential buyer for a ride in the truck the new fuel pump is a selling aid. Throw in that my experience says that being able to show someone how well an engine actually runs down the road is added value.
"RobbMc" makes very good high quality fuel system parts for builds. That's the adjustable by-pass FPR I'm going to use. We've put one on my buddies Jeep, and it works great.

It definitely would be cheaper and simpler to slap another mechanical pump on it. My main reasoning is, this is my truck that I use as a truck. I want to minimize the downtime, and if I do the fuel system upgrade now, that's a good chunk of time-suck done and finished to make the engine swap a little easier. That's been a decision I've struggled back and forth on.

The most sensible solution comes from my wife. SHE'S encouraging me to buy another truck, and just go ahead and take my time building this '63 C10. How's THAT for a wife?? I've been passively looking for 2000-2002 S1500s for fair prices but have been a day late a few times. We'll see how that goes as well.