The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2023, 05:47 PM   #1
KyleSeal

About Pancaking Crossmembers

On my 67, Im thinking down the road about a further drop, I'd like to lay frame one day, and would like to keep it inexpensive (meaning no aftermarket backhalfs or crossmembers). Im curious on how close I can get to laying frame with a big notch rear, and pancaking front crossmember 2 inches? I'd like to NOT cut into the factory floor, so z-ing the frame is kind of out of my things-to-consider list. Pics would be appreciated too.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:18 PM   #2
hewittca

Re: About Pancaking Crossmembers

On my truck I tried to take the budget approach to get it as low as I could without buying anything other than standard lowering parts (springs, drop spindles, blocks). In the front I sectioned the crossmember 1.5". Any more than that and you are going to have to upgrade your steering (think rack and pinion). For the rear, I z-ed the frame just behind the cab so I could still use the factory rear suspension. Of course, this required raising the bed floor to accommodate, but you will need to modify the bed floor if you want to get anywhere near laying frame. I also dropped the body 1", which did require cutting a small hole in the cab floor. All in, I am at a 8/10 drop static. If I bagged my truck I miiight be able to lay frame. It's going to take a lot of figuring and creativity to lay frame without the help of aftermarket goodies, but I think it can be done.
Attached Images

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 01:29 PM   #3
KyleSeal

Thanks for the pictures and explanation! Did sectioning the crossmember need any floor mods or just the body drop itself?

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
Old 02-02-2023, 03:32 PM   #4
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
Thanks for the pictures and explanation! Did sectioning the crossmember need any floor mods or just the body drop itself?
Just the body drop required cutting the cab floor. Sectioning the crossmember required notching the LF upper control arm to clear the steering shaft. You may also need to do some clearancing for your tierods. Mine were hitting the crossmember on the front lower edge. This was at 1.5" sectioning. At 2" you are going to exaggerate this interference.
-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:46 PM   #5
SCOTI

Transmission type will impact floor requirements so that's something to keep in mind. Some transmissions are porkier than others so they might require the 'tall' bolt-in style 4x4 hump for the tunnel vs the standard shallower 2x4 hump.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #6
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Transmission type will impact floor requirements so that's something to keep in mind. Some transmissions are porkier than others so they might require the 'tall' bolt-in style 4x4 hump for the tunnel vs the standard shallower 2x4 hump.
Makes sense. My 700R4 isnt too large, but Im sure its probably a tight clearance. Ill have to see when I get the cab back on the chassis. Im just trying to make plans for next year when I start piling parts to bag it, so nothing really set in stone at the moment.