The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
mole2000

One Rear Wheel Parking Brake Mod?

The PO removed pretty much everything dealing with the Parking Brake on my 1970 C10 SWB Stepside. In looking at what I need to do to get it working again, I considered that maybe I don't need two wheels secured, one may do the job. Has anyone done this? I worked out, theoretically at least, that I could just run the front cable to a connector and then straight to the left rear wheel, eliminating all the extra cable to the right side. Any suggestions would be appreciated. The whole mechanism as designed seems inefficient, but at the minimum it creates somewhat of an eyesore. I like it how it looks without it at all.
mole2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
truckster

Re: One Rear Wheel Parking Brake Mod?

Since I'm only somewhat familiar with Austin, I'm assuming that you live in a fairly flat area. If that's the case, you'd probably get away with it for parking, unless you have a state safety inspection.

My concern would be if you ever need to use it as an emergency brake. It could be pretty hard to maintain control of the truck with only one brake applied.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

You'll need to fix both sides. If you ever loose hydraulics, you will be glad you did. One side will not fly with safety inspection in Texas. There was a 69 or 70 GMC in the wrecking yard at Briggs, TX, North of us. I believe it had the rear emergency brake cables. It is called "Harold's Auto Parts". I hope they have not crushed it yet. I pulled some pats off it for one of my projects; fenders, radiator support, rear bumper, tailgate, grille and rear axle steel brake line. The cab was too far rusted to be usable. Doors were already gone. I hope they have not crushed it yet.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
steelhorse

If you have an open rear diff and the trans doesnt lock in gear it would roll at least in a circle
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Harrolds in briggs is an AWESOME yard... at least it was 10 years ago. There was never less than 15 to 20 trucks in there every time I went. And any other type of car... was usually there too. I made LOTS of money off of him.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Harrolds in briggs is an AWESOME yard... at least it was 10 years ago. There was never less than 15 to 20 trucks in there every time I went. And any other type of car... was usually there too. I made LOTS of money off of him.
Somthing tells me I am going to have to go check this place out...
Old 09-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

It's a heck of a drive for you.... it is west/southwest of the Fort Hood area. I think it was 30-ish miles from hood IIRC. (2000 was the last time i was there... maybe early 01)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
It's a heck of a drive for you.... it is west/southwest of the Fort Hood area. I think it was 30-ish miles from hood IIRC. (2000 was the last time i was there... maybe early 01)
if I go I will be sure to take pictures.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #9
WIDESIDE72

I hate to break everyone's bubble, but the last time I was there, a couple of weeks ago, the GMC I pulled the parts from was the ONLY 67-72 truck still in the yard. Around 6 months ago, I was there and pulled the 3spd shift linkage rods off a 70 or 71 Chevy. It was a good thing I got them when i did, cause it was GONE the next time I went. (PROBABLY CRUSHED- It was pretty far gone from rust anyway). They deal with insurance companies and mostly new cars like most yards. They also buy cars out of people's yard, etc, so they do come across a FEW vintage trucks occassionally, but don't make a road trip expecting a treasure trove. It is a huge yard,and you could practically BUILD a complete 88-98 Chevy truck from parts there. (Seems like I almost did with the 93 K2500 I am working on). The last time I was there, I left a business card (I am an electrician) and asked the guys working there to call me anytime they got 55-59 and 67-72 Chevy or GMC trucks, but I am not drinkin' buddies or anything with them, so who knows.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote