The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #51
turp mcspray

Re: Price of a paint job nowadays?

Yeah, I wondered about that since you're in Cal. I hope you can get something figured out.
I just realized yesterday that you are the one that started this thread! LOL! Just figured you were someone else chiming in!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #52
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
Yeah, I wondered about that since you're in Cal. I hope you can get something figured out.
I just realized yesterday that you are the one that started this thread! LOL! Just figured you were someone else chiming in!
Nope that was me!

Roger
"RATIKLE"
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #53
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Just to chime in from Texas . I had my daughters car ,1998 Camaro , painted with very minimal body repair for $3000 with the strips and jambed . i do alot of buisness with them . It is nice and they did a good job . This would be a very nice driver job . She is 16 in 9 days .

This truck i stripped and did alot of body work/panel replacement . It was base coat / clear coat with interior painted for $1000 by another "budget" shop . Primer bled through in several spots , yellow marks in alot of places came through when the clear went down . It served as rust protection and had a nice shine , but not a good paint job IMO .

The shop that did the gold car is currently doing this truck . This one is $8500 for paint . It is what i would consider show quality , meaning i will be afraid to drive/scratch it .

This is the next one in line and i want a job similar to the gold car so i can drive it and enjoy it . Hoping to get out for under $5000 with a better than driver local car show type job . Hope this helps .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583

Last edited by hotrod 80; 08-04-2009 at 02:25 AM.
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #54
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
Just to chime in from Texas . I had my daughters car ,1998 Camaro , painted with very minimal body repair for $3000 with the strips and jambed . It is nice and they did a good job . This would be a very nice driver job . She is 16 in 9 days .

This truck i stripped and did alot of body work/panel replacement . It was base coat / clear coat with interior painted for $1000 by another "budget" shop . Primer bled through in several spots , yellow marks in alot of places came through when the clear went down . It served as rust protection and had a nice shine , but not a good paint job IMO .

The shop that did the gold car is currently doing this truck . This one is $8500 for paint . It is what i would consider show quality , meaning i will be afraid to drive/scratch it .

This is the next one in line and i want a job similar to the gold car so i can drive it and enjoy it . Hoping to get out for under $5000 with a better than driver local car show type job . Hope this helps .
HotRod 80,

Thanks for the comparison pictures.
Your Daughters Camaro, is exactley the "Type/Stage/Finish", I'm thinking about when I think of a "Daily Driver" paint job for MY Truck,
(with a few local shows thrown in).
I understand that the Prep/Bodywork is the most Labor Intensive/Costly, but I'm STILL shooting for a price tag of $5K or slightly below.
I think it can be done and I'll be happy with the outcome.

Thanks again for the pictures, that Camaro Paint Job looks sweet!

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #55
Blitz
Mr. Thread Killer

Looks like I might have to shoot out to Baytown when it comes time for paint. Assuming the DFW guys are too deep in my pockets.
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #56
wwotr

Interesting day today.
I went to one of my Mechanics who specializes in Vintage AC and also has a Car Club in town.

I asked him which shops HE would recommend for paint, and he gave me the name of 2 shops in town. I really want to keep my Money in the County where we live. I'm TIRED of traveling 45 miles DOWN the mountain to the "Big City" to get raped by the paint shops there.

Now keep in mind these are pretty much "Mom & Pop" paint shops that don't have a lot of employee's.

Shop #1- $7K and 3 Months to complete.

Shop #2- $9K and 2 months to complete.

Shop#1 the guy was nice, but he's got a heavy workload and only 1 helper. He's also gone through some Health issues (Cancer) where he had to shut his shop down for a year. Nice enough guy and he said he'd be BARELY making any money on the deal, but that's a long time and a lot of "ifs" in the mix. This guys paint booth is 2 barn doors under one roof.

Shop#2 I like because I've seen his work around town.
He also talked about taking the Bed, Fenders, ect off and cleaning the Frame, replacing Bed Washers and spray painting Bolts.
The paint I wanted was a Dupont Base and Clear Coat...
(Madori Sour Apple Green).
Also having SS Stripes put on the Cowl Hood, (in a Silver),
and that same color paint for the Interior.
Shop is clean, with separate areas for paint ect.
Oh and the best part, is this guy guarantees his
Bodywork/Paint for the LIFE OF THE VEHICLE!
(I've NEVER heard of THAT)!

The kicker is my Wife says that's Bull ****, that I should be able to get it done for $3500.00 (Body AND Paint).

**** as it is, after $9K on the Body/Paint, I'll STILL be spending ANOTHER $2K on seats, Carpet Kit, Dash Pad, Door Panels and then there's probably ANOTHER $400.00 to get all my Stereo Equipment I've bought, installed.
Oh and THEN comes the Wheels/Tires.

No half-assed for me this time, but I'll still appease my Wife and go by Macco to get an estimate.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #57
Thealien

Shop around and go to some local shows and talk to everyone. That is what I did and found a young guy that could do what I wanted in my price range. I started just wanting my inner and outer rockers, remove molding and spare tire carrier and weld the holes. The job turned into that, a complete paint job a cam lifters, timing chain, an HEI dist, line the interior, install my soft top and engine and light harness. I supplied all parts except the paint, cam,lifters, and timing chain

It is not perfect but I think he did a pretty good job

All done for $5000 cash. There are some things I would do diferently and it is not show quality but for all that work for that price I can not complain and I don't mind driving it. He needs a bunch of electrical work and we are planning on swapping some labor for labor.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #58
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Shop around and go to some local shows and talk to everyone. That is what I did and found a young guy that could do what I wanted in my price range. I started just wanting my inner and outer rockers, remove molding and spare tire carrier and weld the holes. The job turned into that, a complete paint job a cam lifters, timing chain, an HEI dist, line the interior, install my soft top and engine and light harness. I supplied all parts except the paint, cam,lifters, and timing chain

It is not perfect but I think he did a pretty good job

All done for $5000 cash. There are some things I would do diferently and it is not show quality but for all that work for that price I can not complain and I don't mind driving it. He needs a bunch of electrical work and we are planning on swapping some labor for labor.
I like your Front Grill.
What year is yours?
Mine is a 72 and that year has the Black painted in between the Crosshairs.
I wanted to go with an all Chrome Grill like yours, but my book shows that for a 71.
Do you (or anyone else) know if the Grills are interchangeable between those two years?

Roger
"RUDE TOY"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #59
Thealien

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
I like your Front Grill.
What year is yours?
Mine is a 72 and that year has the Black painted in between the Crosshairs.
I wanted to go with an all Chrome Grill like yours, but my book shows that for a 71.
Do you (or anyone else) know if the Grills are interchangeable between those two years?

Roger
"RUDE TOY"
I took the paint off with acetone (in a well ventilated area, still a little lightheaded). Mine is a 1972 also. I believe all the GMCs are interchangeable but 67 or 68 you need a different top bar for the earlier hood and they are hard to come by
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #60
jjjmm56

I'm not sure who said it but yes go to local car shows and find out who's good who's bad . Maaco can do good work but it's their paint products I would have a problem with. I've seen some jobs that chalk up in a year,but thats sitting in the florida sun. Also I don't think I would trust them to remove and reinstall doors getting the gaps right again. There are good local painters that don't do this for a living , but do it for the enjoyment. You'll be able to tell which ones are really into it.
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #61
wwotr

The Wife came up with a great idea today.
Since the cost of my Total paint job was gonna be $9K and I've got new seats coming in 4 weeks, and I've only got about HALF of that $9K,
why not get the inside Cab painted first BEFORE the outside!!!

That made total sence because I've got the seats coming and so i could get the inside painted, have the Rocker Panels replaced, buy the Carpet Kit, Visors, Dash Pad, Door Panels, have the Stereo installed.
Basically do it backwards and piece it out.
That way I could have the Interior finished and THEN do the outside when my settlement comes through next Spring.

I'M STOKED!!!

(and I'll shoot the 1st person thats says, "just wait until next Spring and get it all done at once")

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27 PM   #62
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

From a time/cost stand point...Ready, Aim, FIRE!...You will be disassembling and reassembling the cab twice (or paying to have the shop do it). To do a good paint job, you need to tear most things down. If you paint the interior now, you will need to tear the doors, dash, etc down. Unless you just do the inside of the cab now and then have the whole doors done with the outside, you will be repeating some work.

I hope that makes sense to you. In other much shorter wording just wait to do it all, For the sake of the painter!
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #63
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveway Dreams View Post
From a time/cost stand point...Ready, Aim, FIRE!...You will be disassembling and reassembling the cab twice (or paying to have the shop do it). To do a good paint job, you need to tear most things down. If you paint the interior now, you will need to tear the doors, dash, etc down. Unless you just do the inside of the cab now and then have the whole doors done with the outside, you will be repeating some work.

I hope that makes sense to you. In other much shorter wording just wait to do it all, For the sake of the painter!
You know I've been through this before with my 1st Truck, a 67 C-10.
I had all the engine work done but never got to the paint.
I understand what your saying, but at this point I NEED to see some progress and if I have to pay extra for it, then so be it. When my Settlment comes, it wont even BEGIN to be an issue $$ wise.
The Truck will be outside all Winter under a cover.
My inytent was to "Weatherize" it, be having the Door Felts, Rattle Strips, new Wing Window Vent Gaskets installed. But at this point I've got new Leather Seats, A Console, Dash Pad, Carpet Kit, Stereo, Sirius Satalitte, Panel Speakers all taking up room in my Garage and I frankly don't have the patience to wait until next Spring.
If it ends up costing me to take the Doors off again...oh well.
That just means my bodyman will become very intimate with my Truck.

Like I said..I DO understand what your saying but I don't have to like it.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #64
wwotr

Quote:
OK.
Its been about 10 years since I had an entire vehicle painted, and I'm SURE that costs have skyrocketed.
I'm asking for "Generalities" here....you know a "Ballpark Figure" based on the info I can provide.
I know the variables, like Body work ect that factor into a paint job,
so here goes nothin'.....

I'm looking to get my 72 GMC Shortbed Fleetside painted.
Looking to have it painted a single color with some simple pin stripping.
In a "perfect world" I'd like the doors, tailgate removed , painted and re-assembled.
Also want the complete interior done (in the same color as the Exterior).
It would be a Daily Driver but would also like to show it at local Car Shows.
Don't need the engine bay painted or the inside of the bed, as the Bed will have some type of Rhino Lining in it.

What can I expect to pay for something like this?

Roger
Interesting day today, that includes an update.

I went to my 4th Body Shop today for a Body Work/Paint Estimate.
I was told $8500.00 and 2 Months.

So I looked at him and said, "What if I brought you my Truck and said, do all the Bodywork, Prep/Prime it, so that next Spring I can bring it to you for Paint"
He said $3500.00.
So it looks like next week I'll be taking it in for the Body Work.
Then when my Settlement comes in at the end of this year (or by next Spring), then we'll be set for paint!
On top of that, we'll be converting our Tool Shed" into a Motorcycle Garage for my Wifes Bike, SO I GET THE GARAGE FOR MY 72!!!

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #65
blackdiesel

i've painted my share rigs over the last few years. for a total paint job, that would look really good in the sunlight, would be AT LEAST 6k if it came out of my shop. and if i had to replace anything more than a cab corner or two and a set of rockers the price would be going up. Paint is NOT cheap. (at least real automotive paint isnt, some guys roll on rustoleum ) it takes alot of sandpaper and tape and mud to get one straight with sharp body lines. the front end needs to be blown apart, motor removed, interior gutted, doors removed, and bed pulled off the frame in order to get one done right.
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM   #66
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
i've painted my share rigs over the last few years. for a total paint job, that would look really good in the sunlight, would be AT LEAST 6k if it came out of my shop. and if i had to replace anything more than a cab corner or two and a set of rockers the price would be going up. Paint is NOT cheap. (at least real automotive paint isnt, some guys roll on rustoleum ) it takes alot of sandpaper and tape and mud to get one straight with sharp body lines. the front end needs to be blown apart, motor removed, interior gutted, doors removed, and bed pulled off the frame in order to get one done right.
I kike YOUR Quote!
;=)

All of the above quotes were for Paint/Bodywork ONLY.
No pulling of the Egine/Tranny.
No painting of the engine bed ect.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #67
blackdiesel

i just stated what needed to be done for a professional looking paint job

also, i wouldnt paint a truck that wasnt blown apart and done properly. mainly because i cant afford to have my name associated with something that im not proud of. i understand the OP isnt wanting this done, im just stating what my shop produces
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway

Last edited by blackdiesel; 10-23-2009 at 06:05 PM.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #68
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
i just stated what needed to be done for a professional looking paint job

also, i wouldnt paint a truck that wasnt blown apart and done properly. mainly because i cant afford to have my name associated with something that im not proud of. i understand the OP isnt wanting this done, im just stating what my shop produces
I understand.
Its what I can afford.
At least this way, I'll know what type of Bodywork was done (under that Primer) instead of what I've got now, which is NO IDEA wWHO did WHAT to the Truck before.
Its like a slate being wiped clean and starting all over.
I was making it too hard, trying to scratch up the $$ fpr BOTH the Bodywork AND Paint and doing nothing but Stressing/Frustrating myself.
Once I decided to do it in "Stages", everything seemed to make sence!

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 AM   #69
wwotr

Thumbs up Re: Price of a paint job nowadays?

Quote:
OK.
Its been about 10 years since I had an entire vehicle painted, and I'm SURE that costs have skyrocketed.
I'm asking for "Generalities" here....you know a "Ballpark Figure" based on the info I can provide.
I know the variables, like Body work ect that factor into a paint job,
so here goes nothin'.....

I'm looking to get my 72 GMC Shortbed Fleetside painted.
Looking to have it painted a single color with some simple pin stripping.
In a "perfect world" I'd like the doors, tailgate removed , painted and re-assembled.
Also want the complete interior done (in the same color as the Exterior).
It would be a Daily Driver but would also like to show it at local Car Shows.
Don't need the engine bay painted or the inside of the bed, as the Bed will have some type of Rhino Lining in it.

What can I expect to pay for something like this?

Roger
Just took my Truck into the Body Shop TODAY!
OH man am I STOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 10-27-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #70
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
WWOTR,
If you can find someone who does work to your liking, that is able to do it on the side in there garage for example, that would be the only way to get around the cost. I worked full time in my garage at home for 8 years and was charging $30 an hour. Right now the going rate in town is $53 an hour. I usually charge between $45 and $50 an hour. (Because I am stupid and like to make it a little more affordable for people to get their cars done) With the overhead I have now,believe it or not, I struggle to survive. All I do is resto work. I hate collision work and stay away from it, other than the ocassional friend or family job. I guess thats the price I pay for a job that I love.
I wish you were halfway close. I like your philosophy.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:37 PM   #71
wwotr

I'm NOT a "Body man", but I do have an update, so forgive my Layman Terms.

Took my Truck in on Monday the 26th.
They started on it, the 29th.
It is a nice clean shop with basically 4 people.
The Owner (his Wife works in the Office), (1) Body man, (1) Painter.
They started doing the body work from the Bed up (towards the Cab).
Looks like there were 3 Layers of Paint, (the original and 2 more).
The found some "surface rust" but nothing that had eatin' through or that required Patch Panels or all new Panels ect. The Passenger side rear quarter panel had a fair amount of Bondo on the bottom, behind the Rear Tire. They had already removed the Tonneu Cover "snaps" and taken the Chrome Trim ring that goes under the back window (around the Cab) and had TIG Welded the holes shut.
All in all it looked "good so far" as they termed it, and I'm a Happy Camper...(so far).
As with everything else regarding my Truck, I've made a ....................
"Body Work/Paint Page" that can be seen at : http://home.pon.net/wwotr/body%20work-paint

And as always, if your using any other Browser BESIDES I.E. ,
then pages "May" not load correctly.

I'll be stopping by there about 2-3 times a week to take pictures,
and I'll update my webpage to reflect that.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 PM   #72
turp mcspray

Glad to hear you found a shop to work on your truck.
FWIW, a TIG welder isn't something you normally see in a low end hack shop, so that in itself is big positive!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #73
wwotr

Quote:
Glad to hear you found a shop to work on your truck.
FWIW, a TIG welder isn't something you normally see in a low end hack shop, so that in itself is big positive!
Thank You Turp!

Nice to get some Positive Feedback.
They are local and have been in bussines about 20 years.
They pull no punches, and I let them know that, "This is what I want/need, but this is what I have $$ wise".They're great about meeting me in the Middle.
They senced my "passion" for my Truck and other Hot Rods/Muscle Cars, so they're going that "extra Mile" for a fellow Vehicle enthusiast, (err Gearhead)

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"

Last edited by wwotr; 10-31-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #74
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

looking forward to updates...

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #75
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67chevytruck View Post
looking forward to updates...
UPDATE 11/2/09.
I went to the Body Shop today and took a few more pictures and updated my "Paint/Body Work Page": http://home.pon.net/wwotr/body%20work-paint

I was told that the estimate would go up by about $500.00, because of numerous "Worm Holes".
They explained it to me as, holes that are in the Metal eaither due to Molding that was taken off or the old "Slide Hammer" holes they used to use in Bodywork.
They need to strip down the Bed, Passenger side and both doors to Metal, find these holes that have started to rust, chemically treat them , then TIG weld them up. They showed me a few of these holes and it made sence to me, that if they wern't tended to, that they would continue rusting/traveling and just cause more damage in the future.

So thats the update for today.

Roger
"RATIKLE"
but please feel free,
RIP...."RATIKLE"