The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #76
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Re: '60 GMC 4x4 Long Fenderside

Thanks Kro!

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #77
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Very nice progress so far. Glad you were able to get it back in your hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #78
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Thanks Alan! You look like you are about to start cruising in yours!! Looking very good!!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #79
AmmoSS
IYAAYAS

Looks good Jason! Congrats on gettin your truck back. If you ever need a hand give me a call!

Steve
AmmoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #80
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Thanks Steve! Working a little at a time.

Just got the rebuild kit for the Holley.

My son and I took the gas tank out Sunday to drain it. There was what looked like nasty orange Kool-aid in there. 5 gallons of it! Its only been in there for 9 years +. LOL Oh well!!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #81
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

<<< Hey look I'm Blue now!!

Since I scored the hood off of Craigslist is anyone interested in my existing hood? I will put an ad up on the for sale section hopefully tonight. Just asking here to see if there is any interest.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #82
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Haven’t been updating much. My son and I have been working on it off and on just about every weekend.

We rebuilt the carb and changed the oil. Changing the oil was fun. Hadn’t dealt with a canister style filter before. The filter I bought was the same part number as the on in there, but the gasket that came with the filter was way too small. After spending about 30 minutes scrounging for a gasket that would fit, I finally just got some cut your own gasket material, and cut my own.

When we were cleaning up under the truck, a damn wasp fell out of the truck and landed on my sons arm. When I brushed it off him, the little bugger nailed me in the hand. Unfortunately for me, I am allergic. I popped a bunch of children’s Benadryl, grabbed my epi pen, and hoped for no trip to the hospital. It all turned out OK. I swelled up a bunch, but didn’t stop breathing, so that is an upside!

The next weekend we started cleaning out all the wasps. We filled a walmart bag with nests.

I had been noticing stuff sticking out behind the headlights. We pulled out a huge bird nest.

We also found a mouse nest.

We took a bunch of pictures of the brakes, and the underside of the truck.

Does anyone know where I could get new parking light lenses, and or housings for new hood?

I showed my son how to find TDC. We looked under the dist cap, and it was out of wack, so reset it. We took the fuel pump off, took it apart, cleaned it up, and have it ready to put back on. We got some hardline, to replace the rubber line that was on it.

I sold a 1BBL carb that was in a bucket in the truck, which is what funded my turning blue!!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #83
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Found some weird stuff on the suspension. It looks like there was some kind of helper springs under the front end. Maybe for the plow?

The rear suspension looks a little off too. Is any of this front or rear stock?

I think that these bolts may be just a little bit too long!

The engine appeared to be nice and clean inside

That’s all for now. My son will be over this weekend, so we’ll get back on it.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 PM   #84
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Didn't get much done on the truck today so far. My son and I carved pumpkins and goofed off most of the day instead.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #85
pope

looks like the rear axle had been switched out, and they bent all thread to make the u bolts. the axle has a set of shock mounts and rubber bump stops that dont belong...The lift blocks with the shock mounts on the bottom is correct for 60 through part of 63 production 4wd.
Nice pumpkin carving!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #86
Dub_X
Professional Crow Bar Tosser

@ Pope - I do believe that it's definitely not the factory axle, actually I don't even think it's GM

Because - Jason, isn't there a pic on this thread of the rear differential, and if I'm right doesn't it say '74 or '73 Ford?
Dub_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:19 AM   #87
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Will, back on page 3 post #65 the diff cover says 74 F@rd.

I'll have to look and see if F@rds of that era ran the Dana 44's also.

If it is a F@rd, will that matter any if the front end is still GM, or will it only matter if they are the same gear ratio?

Pope, thanks for the information, and the pumpkin compliment. My son will be happy to hear it.

I'll look up some info on F@rd, and see if they ran the Dana 44's, and if so, if they looked like what I have.

Thanks for the help, I need all I can get!!!

Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 AM   #88
Dub_X

I don't know much about axles and gear ratios, but you never know. Hopefully you won't have to go rear-end hunting.

Pumpkins are very creative, by the way. Wish we had carved pumpkins this year, but we didn't. Oh well, always next year.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:40 AM   #89
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I think the ratio is the only thing that matters because they are actually made by Dana, it shouldn't (in theory) matter what they came on, I hope.

I don't know much about them either, that's why I am posting it on here, so people smarter them me can help out!! LOL

Thanks for the compliment on the pumpkins too Will. They turned out pretty good, and look cool lit up.

We didn't get much done on the truck this weekend. Mostly straightened up the garage, and put away tools. It was getting to a point where we couldn't find anything.

We cleaned out the cowl and the vents in the cab. We also added some heat in the garage for the upcoming colder months. We cut a hole in the side of the furnace ducting and put in a register. It seems to work pretty good!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM   #90
Dub_X

Quote:
We didn't get much done on the truck this weekend. Mostly straightened up the garage, and put away tools. It was getting to a point where we couldn't find anything.
I know how that is. Me and my dad can almost never find our tools. A few months ago we finally went through our mess of a tool shed [Our shed is a 48 foot semi trailer that had the front crunched, so it's missing about 10 feet, making it more 38.] We found sockets, wrenches, ratchets, and a bunch of other crap that we haven't been able to find in 3 years. We're still missing a lot, but at least we know where most things are when we need them...like 18mm wrenches that we've got at least a dozen of...and at this moment can only find three.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:03 PM   #91
pope

The only thing to really worry about is keeping the ratios close. Within 1% for highway use and up to 2% if you are really only going to be off road with it in 4wd. I am pretty sure that Both the blue oval and GMC ran the Dana (spicer in the day) as rear axles while Chevy ran the Eaton and Corperate rear. The dana 44 was pretty well used by everyone as a front diff, with the blue oval running a driver side pumpkin while GM and Dodge ran pass side pumpkins. The nice thing about running a Dana axle is you can easily match the ratios and there are so many options for gear sets. The Eaton rears on the other hand were limited to 4.10 as a high for production gears with an aftermarket 3.90 that has been out of production for some time.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #92
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Pope thank you for the info. I wanted to change out the fluid in the diffs anyway, so will count the teeth when I have them open, and see where they are at. I would hope that when they replaced the rear, they matched the front, but I better make sure!

The front and rear covers are the same, and according to someone earlier, they are Dana 44's.

I was meaning to get the numbers of of the axles, to see if I can translate them into some information, but didn't get that far tonight. Too many little munchkins ringing my doorbell tonight.

Will, what in the world are you doing with a dozen 18mm wrenches??? LOL

Old 11-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #93
Dub_X

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man5 View Post
Pope thank you for the info. I wanted to change out the fluid in the diffs anyway, so will count the teeth when I have them open, and see where they are at. I would hope that when they replaced the rear, they matched the front, but I better make sure!

The front and rear covers are the same, and according to someone earlier, they are Dana 44's.

I was meaning to get the numbers of of the axles, to see if I can translate them into some information, but didn't get that far tonight. Too many little munchkins ringing my doorbell tonight.

Will, what in the world are you doing with a dozen 18mm wrenches??? LOL
Me and my dad have collected a lot of wrenches over the years. More than just 18mm. Lol. Just from collecting over the years, that's all.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #94
KroAutomotiveInc

looking good man wanna trade trucks lol! ive been pulling bee hives out of my truck for 2 years lol found one just the other day never had a bird or mouse nest tho !
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #95
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Let me think about it...nope, I think I'll keep mine!! Thanks for asking though! LOL

Mine sat in a field for 9+ years, so I am surprised that the mouse/bird/wasp problem is not worse than it is.

I haven't gotten much done lately, life keeps getting in my way. Oh well, I'll get back to it soon!

Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #96
Corts60
Just here to tinker

[QUOTE=chevy_man5;4977578]Does anyone know where I could get new parking light lenses, and or housings for new hood?QUOTE]

Those are not reproduced and probably a good chance they won't be anytime soon unfortunately. The GMC hood's are not very popular and there are relatively few around.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #97
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Thanks Cort. That was not what I hoped to hear, but, was what I was expecting.

I hadn't thought about it before, but I just sent the guy I bought the better hood from a message, to see if he still happens to have the ones that should have been in there.

Something will turn up!

Old 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #98
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

We haven't done much lately, but I have come up with a little update / question list.

I haven’t seen any mirrors that look like this one in other people’s trucks. Is this stock, or maybe old aftermarket?

We pulled off the trans hump, and found the gasket / seal underneath it looks like it has never been off of the truck. It had an OLD piece of masking tape on each of the corners, and holding in the ends.

Part of the groove the seal is in is pretty rusty, so we pulled the seal out. Under most of the seal, was what looked like brand new paint, and some kind of glue.

I have been meaning to ask if anyone knows what this tag might be for on the water pump.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #99
Dub_X

LOL, Jason, that tape would be perfect for an old antique museum or something. "Yes, I have here 2 strips of 51-year-old tape...that came off my truck...and they're still intact." Lmao.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #100
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Hey Jason,

That tag on the water pump is some kind of assembly line tag. Both of my v6's have had them. I can't find any info on what exactly they mean, but I think it is worth hanging onto just in case somewhere down the road we find out what their purpose was.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote