The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
_tg97

Pearl and Kandy Paint Jobs

Looking for pictures of pearl or kandy paint jobs. I'm planing on doing one or the other this summer.
_tg97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Pearl and Kandy Paint Jobs

Have you got much time in with a paint gun? if not I would advise against it.There are several reasons and for me the biggie is that matching that stuff is darn next to impossible, sure it can be done but you may have to blend half a side to make it right were as in a "normal" color you can blend a few inches into the next panel then just clear that one panel.Some of the pearls like the White lighting pearl that is the color of my wifes Buick Lucerne [I swore I would not buy another pearl colored car /truck unless it was for salvage] it is a tri color meaning you have to mix a color coat spray it then mix the pearl and a clear color together then spray clear coat on it [hence tri- coat] It is a pain and almost doubles the booth time it takes to paint one.
Now the candy I don't have much against cause you have to spray it on a white background and I am pretty much a fan of white . It is a labor thing I would guess and experience if you have some with a gun and are really comfortable with it go for it , just be forewarned it is a lot more work and a lot harder to touch up if not next to impossible if something happens later on. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, the matching thing makes me think twice on candies and pearls. On my Harley I had to repaint the whole thing three times due to one piece getting an issue. First I did a custom two sets of ghost flames with black cherry as the overall color. Had to redo it because it was blistered around the gas cap from paint not stopping outside of the neck. Then a ding caused the third paint job. When the tail light studs sheared and the tail light beat the heck out of the fender I said screw it and I painted it black. Someone tapped the rear fender and all I had to do is repair and paint the fender. I won trophies with that custom paint, but I like to ride and stuff happens.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 AM   #4
_tg97

I can see how the touch ups can be difficult and if I don't do a pearl or a candy the I will just paint my truck white. I kinda have a thing for white trucks.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Metallics can be hard to match,too. Solids are the best for matching and white, no brainer. My '72 is white and until I restore it I just touch up with spray bomb. I redid my drip rail seal to save my cab and it looks better now than before. Had paint popping off the side of the hood and fixed that,too. Most any other color and I'd be driving a painted pony. This is a far cry from pearls and candies. A cherished and babied truck is one thing compared to one that sees general use, even if it's babied

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

My 91 daily driver was a white truck, with a blue pearl mixed into the clear. The truck looked like it was white until the light hit it, then the seams and break lines on the truck body glared at you with a blue hue. It was a great effect.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
_tg97

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
My 91 daily driver was a white truck, with a blue pearl mixed into the clear. The truck looked like it was white until the light hit it, then the seams and break lines on the truck body glared at you with a blue hue. It was a great effect.
Did you paint the truck your self or was it already painted when you got the truck?
Old 02-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tg97 View Post
Did you paint the truck your self or was it already painted when you got the truck?
It was already painted when I got it, however, I had numerous opportunities to do paint work on it in the 10 years that I drove it. I put on a roll pan, painted the tailgate after I boogered it up, and we replaced a bedside in my time of ownership. I got the paint codes from the original painter and from that we worked out the number of coats of paint and clear to get the same effect. It was all done with Dupont paint and pearls.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
hugger6933

Some thine else that needs to be considered in the matching in the paint even if it is just a metallic or some solid bases not to mention the way out there pearls or candies we have already discussed, is if you are trying to match or blend into a spot and [I'm in Arkansas so this is a real thing]temp or humidity from one extreme to another one moisture level to another. I can even be as sensitive as of course the gun set up one tick in adjustment or fan control can change how the metallics lay down. Just something to think about. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #10
doubleb's69

This might give you some insight on candy painting from the House of Kolor man himself.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Hey man, I've been thinking. I know I never intended to chase you away from your dream. Pearls and candies look great and if that's what you want...
I was just giving you something to consider in your decision. We do all kinds of things with these trucks that aren't quite practical. For instance, staggered tire sizes. Not a good idea for a truck you plan on putting a lot of miles on (no tire rotation), unless you have a habit of burning the rears off before the fronts wear funny. But hey, people do it all the time...including me.
The main reason I painted my bike black instead of going back with ghost flames is I was so broke I couldn't pay attention. Looking at the big picture at the time (just divorced) it made sense. My buddy painted it all those times and this time I felt he was due full pay which would have been $3,500-4,000. I gave him a blown Evo motor for the black paint job because I was also too broke to rebuilt that (and I'm good with the custom-built S&S motor I had replaced it with) < I used to have money

Tim

Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
_tg97

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Hey man, I've been thinking. I know I never intended to chase you away from your dream. Pearls and candies look great and if that's what you want...
I was just giving you something to consider in your decision. We do all kinds of things with these trucks that aren't quite practical. For instance, staggered tire sizes. Not a good idea for a truck you plan on putting a lot of miles on (no tire rotation), unless you have a habit of burning the rears off before the fronts wear funny. But hey, people do it all the time...including me.
The main reason I painted my bike black instead of going back with ghost flames is I was so broke I couldn't pay attention. Looking at the big picture at the time (just divorced) it made sense. My buddy painted it all those times and this time I felt he was due full pay which would have been $3,500-4,000. I gave him a blown Evo motor for the black paint job because I was also too broke to rebuilt that (and I'm good with the custom-built S&S motor I had replaced it with) < I used to have money
Hey you haven't chased me away from my dreams I'm taking all of this advice in to consideration because these trucks can be painted more than once and I can wait and get into these special affect when the truck is being drove less often. And by the way I'm a girl who loves her classic chevy. Hint hint to the "hey man"
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #13
low&slow
Account Suspended

I myself want to put a kandy paint job on my truck. Depending on when I get my truck looking good enough for a nice paint job, I may do it myself. More than likely I'll have a company spray it for me. But I'll stay tuned to what all else anyone has to say.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:17 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Sorry man, uh dude, uh honey, uh OOPS! Didn't mean to be assumptive on the gender, man... I mean > You know what I mean...Liz, Julie, Jody? A little help? I'm always glad to see a gal into the trucks. So, welcome to the site. I would post some pictures but my zillion pictures are held hostage on my broken old computer till I pay some expert to transfer all that stuff to this one

That's about where I'm at with the paint on my '67 GMC project. I've been monetarily hung up (Yeah still) on body/paint with it for far too long. I would have nickle dimed it by now but hard to do without a proper shop. I just want to put it together and enjoy driving it. I have decided to cut it in and paint the interior with red, then paint it a Hot Rod Flatz primer color. I can give it the shakedown, work the bugs out, and enjoy till I decide where I really want to go with it. Also can refine the body and just spot paint it. so what if it doesn't match, it looks like primer. I can leave it as is, paint truck red, or a color that goes with red interior (the way CSTs were). What about the red cut-in if I go another color? The theme here is "ground-up used truck" so I don't care if you can look it over hard and see it's a color change. I was driving these trucks and muscle cars before people were blowing them apart and doing thorough restorations and that's just what people did back then...paint it the color you like. I have a very nice color I really want but won't do that till the truck is more worthy, or not. then, I may blow it apart and get rid of the red. I just can't stand waiting any longer. I want to drive that thang!

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 02-17-2015 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

See? Bummer...

I'd still like to find some truck pictures for you to see? Anybody?

Tim

Old 02-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tg97 View Post
Looking for pictures of pearl or kandy paint jobs. I'm planing on doing one or the other this summer.
Here is a pearl/metallic but it isn't on a truck! Water based base coats like auto-air are more forgiving than solvent bases when it comes to preventing blotches and stripes due to poor overlap or a poorly adjusted gun. They also have the advantage of requiring less air flow at lower pressures than the solvent bases. A urethane clear over the top gives them a brilliant finish.

Good Luck!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
dirtyjim

I had a candy purple truck about 20 years ago, I loved it till it got wrecked.
insurance didn't want to pay for a complete strip and repaint and the guy who originally painted it didn't want to do it again either. if I remember correctly it was 5 coats of copper then around 15 coats of transparent blue to get the desired depth of color the 5 coats of clear.
if you take it on yourself just be prepared to spend a lot of time walking around your truck with a spray gun.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #18
68shortwide

White with a blue pearl, as mentioned above looks really cool in the sunlight. i was debating it for my truck, but i decided to go with classic gloss black. Still really debating it for the Cougar though, it IS a damn cool color when the sun hits, really any white with a color pearl but blue looks best imho. Welcome to the board Where're some pics of the truck?
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:00 AM   #19
_tg97

Here are some pics of my truck when I first got it. Not much has changed but even If i don't do a Pearl or candy it will have body work done and painted this summer. The last pic is me testing how my rims fit.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2015, 09:32 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Looks pretty straight from here. Hopefully won't be too heavy on the body work. Funny how Fitz showed a candy job in a color not terribly far off from yours. He didn't show the right vehicle but showed the right color . Are you staying with something close to orange or going another direction?

Tim

Old 02-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #21
_tg97

I've thought about staying with the orange but I really like white on these trucks. If not white then it will stay orange. Right now I've given it a nickname to match the color. "Sunkist"
Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #22
68shortwide

Ewwww a longbedddd just kiddin. The lwb bedside would really show off a pearl though. How bad is the rust? i see it peekin through on the hood, gotta be more.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #23
_tg97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68shortwide View Post
Ewwww a longbedddd just kiddin. The lwb bedside would really show off a pearl though. How bad is the rust? i see it peekin through on the hood, gotta be more.
There is a little rust on the corners of the hood, not much on the outside ther is more in the inside than out
Attached Images