The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
chiggins

Front Disc Conversion and all 5 lug conversion

I have a 1968 Chevy and I want to convert the front brakes to power disc and converting both front and rear to 5-lug. I am on a very tight budget and trying to find the cheapest options. I have heard rumor that the front sub-frame (whole steering assembly and brake system) of a square body Chevy (73-87) will bolt right in with little modification. I just want confirmation from a good source if that is true before I go and buy a donor truck.
And as for the rear axle conversion. I believe its true that the trucks switched to being 5-lug around 70-71. So could I take the rear axle of one and bolt it right into mine?
I also need some build tips on what to use for bucket seats. I'm hoping I can use seats out of a 2003-ish Suburban/Tahoe because they have the seatbelt assembly built in. But I'm afraid that they may be to big. I'm going to relocate the gas tank to under the bed, which would give me more room.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first truck, so I am completely new to this.
chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
SS Tim

Re: Front Disc Conversion and all 5 lug conversion

First suggestion is to learn to use the search function. If you can type a new thread title you can do the same in a search and often find your answer quickly.

As far a dics brakes goes here is a start.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...68&postcount=4
But realistically buying a truck for a few parts isn't often a good choice. Lets face it calipers, booster and master cylinder should be new or rebuilt and hoses need to be new. Rotors are often worn to or below service limits.
Most old truck front ends are dead as far as wear parts. If you need new stuff buy new stuff.
Upgrading the steering system for the disc brakes is a good idea, GM did for a reason. But a lot of people just adapt with custom parts then put on heavier wheels too.
Basically you need to spend smart not cheap.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:55 PM   #3
JHT67

My dad put a 74' 1 ton front suspension on a 72' 1/2 ton chassis with no modification except maybe drilling a hole, and that was even after he had it set in place and mostly bolted in. This was with zero experience with this type of swap, and not much help. He made it look easy.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #4
hugger6933

The square body stuff will work to change you over to disc brakes and power steering[as far as the box goes, you need short pump brackets for the power steering pump]. You can also adapt the brake booster and stuff pretty easily. Now the rear could be used from the parts truck with a conversion kit for less than $150 to put the rear in the older truck but you may be able to either buy axles and brake drums for your rear end or get one from a 71-2 truck they were all disc front 5 lug truck[speaking only in terms of 2 wheel drive]
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote