The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-12-2016, 02:01 AM   #1
bigB98

Clutch tick...

Hey guys. Quick question. I n my 1966 Chevy C20 Ijust installed a new clutch and bearing due to mine breaking on me. I got everything in and set correctly (or so I thought) and started it. It makes a ticking noise that matches the rpm and doesn't go away when the clutch is pressed/depressed. It shifts in to gears ok due to sloppy linkage. I took it for a drive, put it in neutral and shut my motor off to see it it stopped clicking and it did. So it only accura when running. Any ideas???!!!??
bigB98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:22 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Clutch tick...

Might pull the dust cover off and see if something is hitting something in the clutch area since thats what you worked on...its a start
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:32 AM   #3
bigB98

I did. It doesn't appear to have anything hitting. Although thinking about it, a few of the springs on the pressure plate that the throw out bearing pushes against was not even with the rest.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:15 AM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Was it running while you were under it? To tell where the noise was comimg from
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:19 AM   #5
bigB98

No I didn't even think about it until I was all cleaned up and headed in. I'm thinking that because of the fact those spokes are bet it's causing the bearing to slap due to one side hitting before the other. Who knows though.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If the noise is there whether the clutch is depressed or not then it's probably not the clutch. You noticed something not right with the pressure plate and it didn't make the noise before so it's a good possibility the pressure plate is making the sound.

I would make absolutely sure that it's coming from the clutch area first. As mongo mentioned only way is to see if you hear it coming from that area while truck running. If you have to jack the truck up to check, use care and make sure you use jack stands and wheels are chocked.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
mike16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
If the noise is there whether the clutch is depressed or not then it's probably not the clutch. You noticed something not right with the pressure plate and it didn't make the noise before so it's a good possibility the pressure plate is making the sound.

I would make absolutely sure that it's coming from the clutch area first. As mongo mentioned only way is to see if you hear it coming from that area while truck running. If you have to jack the truck up to check, use care and make sure you use jack stands and wheels are chocked.
I kinda agree, it sounds like the pressure plate should ave been replaced along with you throw out bearing, clutch disc and pilot bearing, did you even resurface th fly wheel?

all of this must in almost every case be done to ensure the package works and you dont have to go back in and do it all again.

and while your going back in to do it right.... replace the freeze plugs behind the fly wheel too.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote