The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
icenfire

Talking 1 ton front suspension

looking for complete package for front or a 1 ton panel truck. Is there any thing out there that will keep a 3/4 or 1 ton rating. I don't want to spend hours on the net trying to piece together a system, just bolt in. no other parts, no other special requirements, just get a kit, spend a few days in the garage and drive out with a nice ride with new disc brakes and something that can handle the freeway at 55 with all the pot holes the govt has no money to fix.
Also looking for the same thing for power steering, don't want to go to teh junk yard and pull old steering columns from a Chevy van. Just a COMPLTE power steering package.

Links would be highly appreciated
icenfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: 1 ton front suspension

What year model are you working on? AD or TF?..There's lots of diy kits out there..you'll find that nothing is gonna be bolt and go..integrating new and old can be a challenge sometimes
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
icenfire

Old 05-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Any reason why you want to keep it 1 ton...gonna ride like a log truck..there's several nice complete crossmember setups for the AD trucks..
Old 05-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
abig84

if you find something let me know. im doing a 1 ton also, the way im going is i bought a old dana44, cut off the outer c's and just going to weld them to a solid 3 inch tube so ill basically have my 8 lug and disc brakes..... no idea how its going to work as im not there yet. but in theory it sounds great

other ideas were maybe the beam axle set up from like bread trucks but all seemed to wide or were giant 5 lug set ups.

im one of those strange people who want it to ride like a old crappy truck
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #6
dsraven

I understand wanting a 1 ton if you haul but you only get one spine per lifetime, why not a cushy ride if you don't haul stuff? a cushy seat is also an option for the 1 ton I guess.
i know, your truck, you do what you want. it's hotrodding after all. just curious if you plan to haul and thats why the 1 ton has to stay. some lowered vehicles ride like log trucks too.
air bag rear suspension is an option for ride comfort-spendy though
do the drop axle guys have a 1 ton with disc brakes and stock ride height option?
are you trying to keep the leaf springs-solid axle style?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #7
abig84

As for me I've had a rough riding one ton or lifted truck since about 1999. Mine won't be a daily driver just a occasional ride. Spent many years having old k5 blazers with lift kits and bouncing all over the cab it's pretty fun to drive, just wouldn't want to do it everyday. I'm keeping the leafs all the way around. My other ride is a 86 k30 with a 4 inch lift so I'm used to the horrible ride
Old 05-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #8
icenfire

doesnt necessarily have to be a 1 ton, just don't want a (1/4 ton) front end. Yes I need to be sble to haul a 10,00 pound trailer somewhat safely. It has its own brakes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #9
icenfire

Just want a smoother ride and be able to stop when I hit the brakes if hustling something
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2017, 01:06 AM   #10
icenfire

I was just going to do disc brake conversion bug friends talking me into new front suspension
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2017, 03:06 AM   #11
whitedog76

Fatman has kits based on 1/2 ton and 3/4 GM truck suspensions. 5, 6. and 8 lug options.

Page 19 and 23

http://www.fatmanfab.com/wp-content/...oleCat_web.pdf
Attached Images

whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:09 AM   #12
whitedog76

On another note. There isn't anything wrong with a standard MII kit either.

The new kits typically have forged steel spindles. If you get a good kit, you'll have 3/16" A-arms. There's lots of brake options too.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #13
mr48chev

Icenfire, there is no exact kit to do what you want to do that is available over the counter as a unit. The MII front end kits are about the only complete as a unit kits out there, anything else you have to collect parts to have them work

The Industrial Chassis Dakota front crossmember using Dakota chassis parts sits reasonably high when you run taller skinny tires and the Dakota spindles will take a factory 8 lug hub according to the web site. With donor parts that gets you in for under 1000 bucks. http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/...ck-dakota-kit&
You would have to ask if it will work with the 1 ton frame. I'm not sure if there is a difference between 3/4 and 1 ton on panel trucks frame wise. Heavy duty parts and the crossmember bolts on with only slight frame mods

Put in a matching rear axle for the bolt pattern you pick on the front and go. Narrow 8 lugs might be a challenge though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:40 AM   #14
dsraven

check out the scotts front end as well. it is a one piece affair as far as the upper and lower control arm mounts so less chance of making a blunder on getting the wrong angle etc when you weld them in. all that engineering is done when you get the crossmember. the upper control arms are also adjustable. some bolt in as well so you don't need a welder.
read the understanding independent front suspension in the heidts site before you decide. some good info there on geometry, bump steer, antidive angles etc.
if you don't mind the solid axle and want to keep the rest stock as far as springs etc, then how about a front disc kit for the original axle, a hydroboost for the power brakes that will fit under the floor with a new dual system master cylinder and proportioning valve and a power steering kit that will fit in place of the original.
open wallet here.not gonna be cheap but would make the truck much more enjoyable to drive. sit down and do a feasability study with budget and then add some for good measure. before you start make sure the frame is straight and true with no issues.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2017, 10:58 PM   #15
dsraven

check out the thread from mobilortho on his bolt on ifs. it is a couple of threads down from here today.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #16
yossarian19

There's no kit and no easy donor. The I-beam axles have a drop built in. Go wtih straight tubing or a 4wd axle and you raise the front end considerably.

As was mentioned, the Industrial Chassis kit is your best bet. It uses Dakota parts. Before you throw up in your mouth, listen to this: the Dakota used bearings & ball joints that also went on the full-ton D300. You can run 8 x 6.5 rotors on it and full size GM calipers if you want to. There are guys running Viper brakes on these spindles, too, if you want to get nutty. With V8 Dakota springs in there you should wind up pretty level.

You can also use a C20 crossmember and some steel to get IFS + heavy hauling ability.

Having sunk a bunch of money into improving an I-beam suspension myself, I can say, it's silly. I'd have been cheaper doing the Industrial Chassis kit and I'd have a much better handling truck. Then again that wasn't an option when I was building mine, so what the hey. maybe next go - round.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:32 AM   #17
icenfire

I like the Dakota idea. The mustang is a 5 bolt I think.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:36 AM   #18
mongocanfly
Post Whore

It might depend on your area but I looked into a dakota front for mine and it started to turn nightmarish trying to locate all the different parts and pieces...you'd be much better off buying a complete unit of some sort..
It sounded good at first but I gave up on the dakota and went with flatout and vette..
Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 AM   #19
icenfire

couldnt make any sense of page 19 and page 23 was a chassis
Old 05-08-2017, 11:38 AM   #20
yossarian19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
It might depend on your area but I looked into a dakota front for mine and it started to turn nightmarish trying to locate all the different parts and pieces...you'd be much better off buying a complete unit of some sort..
It sounded good at first but I gave up on the dakota and went with flatout and vette..
Around here, finding a blown-out Dakota for dirt cheap is easy. Pull the springs, spindles etc, replace what needs replacing, sell the motor / trans & scrap the rest.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #21
whitedog76

Your browser may be different from mine. Anyway, look at their "Classic IFS" system. It uses 73-87 Chevy truck spindles & brakes.

Their "Extreme IFS" Has the option for 1/2 and 3/4 8 lug, which may be what you're looking for.

On a side-note, the Fatman setup is a little on the pricey side.

Like I said before, their's nothing wrong with a traditional MII kit either. The wheel bearing for them are the same as what was used in Ford 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks for years. Most of the MII kits use Dodge style ball joints, again the same as what was used in 1/2 and 3/4 Dodge trucks for years. There are lots of manufacturers of MII components out there. If you find a kit with 3/16" A-arms, they're about as strong as it gets.

BTW- Full tilt has the said, 3/16 A-arms. http://www.fulltiltstreetrods.com/frontsusp.htm

Couple the MII suspension to a Ford 8.8 rear and you'll have a good ride able to do anything you want. My 09 F150 has a 8.8 31 spline rear, it weighs 6000 lbs empty and has an 8000 lb tow rating.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #22
abig84

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
There's no kit and no easy donor. The I-beam axles have a drop built in. Go wtih straight tubing or a 4wd axle and you raise the front end considerably.
thats the way im going on mine and i already foreseen that problem. im gonna see how it looks slightly lifted and might just leave it. another option would be to get some lift springs and put the tube on top of the springs. but as slow as things are going i probably wont know til the end of the year