The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
slammed48

Hooker exhaust manifolds (will they fit?)

Has anyone tried to fit the Hooker exhaust manifolds on a 73-87 sbc with factory engine mounts?

I'm hesitant to order them before confirming.

The part number is 8525HKR and here's a picture for reference of the ones I'm referring to. Thanks
Attached Images

slammed48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:38 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Hooker exhaust manifolds (will they fit?)

They fit on mine. 75 C10, 350/TH350. Stock mounts. Bought a set after seeing them mentioned in a different thread on this forum. They replaced a set of worn headers. I was tired of leaks.

I went with the uncoated version. They have ceramic coated version but the break in instructions mention a requirement for several short (less then 5 minutes) runs. I live about 40 minutes from the exhaust shop that did the tie in from the new manifolds to the existing exhaust pipes that were still in good shape.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 06:48 PM   #3
cadillac_al

I think they look pretty nice.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:43 AM   #4
rick1956

A friend of mine is putting them on a truck build, and after seeing them, was pretty impressed. I was most concerned about the 2-bolt flange, but those flanges are big and beefy. I think Hooker did a nice job on em. I'll be replacing the crappy headers the PO installed on my truck pretty soon I think.
Old 05-06-2023, 07:32 AM   #5
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1956 View Post
I was most concerned about the 2-bolt flange, but those flanges are big and beefy.
What's the concern with 2-bolt flanges? Cracking, or leaking?

I'm installing OEM 2010 Camaro manifolds on a LS-build of mine, and they come with 2-bolt flanges as well. I just wondered if there's more that I need to watch out for than I thought.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:37 PM   #6
rick1956

The concern was basically 'one less fastener'. I'm used to seeing manifold collectors be tri-way instead of only two fasteners. It was just different, and you know how people are with change...
Old 05-07-2023, 12:20 AM   #7
Dead Parrot

Had a decent day for outdoor pictures. Installed on my 75 C10 with 350/TH350. Easily clears both motor mounts and frame. Like others have mentioned, the 2 bolt connection did cause some worry but I have seen several OEM setups using 2 bolts. Good time to check all of your exhaust hangers if you are reusing much of the existing system.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2023, 08:27 AM   #8
cadillac_al

Do they need custom pipes to connect to them or will stock exhaust pipes work and just change the flanges?
77 Chevy K10
Old 05-07-2023, 01:22 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

The pair of included flanges are setup for 2.5" pipes to be welded to the flange. The flange + pipe then bolts to the manifold and is sealed with a flat gasket. In my case, since I was switching from headers, it needed about a foot of pipe on one side and about three feet on the other. The shop charged just over $100 for the job. My existing pipes are 2.25" and were in good shape despite being 25 years old.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:03 PM   #10
LDO

Those look nice. Can you use heat sheilds with them?
LDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 10:35 PM   #11
Dead Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDO View Post
Those look nice. Can you use heat sheilds with them?
If you are talking about the OEM shields, don't know. Those vanished when I put on the headers back in the mid 90's.
Old 05-10-2023, 04:05 PM   #12
Android04

Yes sir we are running them on two square bodies in our fleet.
Android04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 07:16 AM   #13
rick1956

Bought myself a set yesterday. I included these header pipes with mine--overpriced or not. I just want good mating flanges... the exhaust shop can take it from there.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2023, 11:17 AM   #14
cadillac_al

Quote:
Bought myself a set yesterday. I included these header pipes with mine--overpriced or not. I just want good mating flanges... the exhaust shop can take it from there.
They don't look like they have enough bend for that manifold that exits straight down. Are they made for these manifolds?
77 Chevy K10
Old 05-13-2023, 11:36 AM   #15
rick1956

Yup, the flanges exit the manifolds at angles... they're made for em. I'll let you know how they fit when it's all said and done!
Old 05-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #16
slammed48

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I finally received my back ordered pair of these manifolds (Haven’t even opened the box yet).

And Rick1956, that would be great to hear how those pipes work out for you and, if you don’t mind sharing where you bought them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2023, 08:23 PM   #17
Dead Parrot

Three pics of the pipes the exhaust shop made for my switch from old headers to the Hooker manifolds. The 90 degree bend continues as the longer pipe in the pic with both. The blurry one is the end of the new passenger side pipe.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2023, 09:14 AM   #18
rick1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed48 View Post
Thanks everyone! I finally received my back ordered pair of these manifolds (Haven’t even opened the box yet).

And Rick1956, that would be great to hear how those pipes work out for you and, if you don’t mind sharing where you bought them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bought mine at Supershops. I still haven't received the manifolds yet, but that doesn't surprise me--everyone seems to have a waiting list for them. Good price on t-shirts at Supershops too btw... haha
Old 05-30-2023, 07:09 PM   #19
slammed48

Rick1956- any chance you have a link to those header pipes? I couldn’t find them on the site.

I got my hooker manifolds and they do, as others have said, look like they’re gonna fit, so I painted them with the Eastwood exhaust coating today…
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2023, 10:57 AM   #20
rick1956

Well, I finally got all my parts and was able to play with the fit. My assessment: the head pipes I mentioned do not fit.

The good news is, the quality of materials is excellent in them, so rather than send them back I am going to customize (butcher) them and use them anyway. The flanges look too nice to pass up.
Time to get the welder out!
Old 06-19-2023, 06:57 PM   #21
cadillac_al

Quote:
Well, I finally got all my parts and was able to play with the fit. My assessment: the head pipes I mentioned do not fit.

The good news is, the quality of materials is excellent in them, so rather than send them back I am going to customize (butcher) them and use them anyway. The flanges look too nice to pass up.
Time to get the welder out!
Can't you get them bent a little more?
77 Chevy K10
Old 06-26-2023, 09:40 PM   #22
rick1956

I finally finished 3 days worth of cutting, fitting, and welding after putting my new manifolds in. The fit on the manifolds is phenomenal (but as everyone knows, exhaust work is always 'one thing leads to another' etc). Lots of room on all sides, perfect bolt placement and sizing, and plenty of room for spark plug access--possibly even slightly better than stock. They're beefy and heavy too. I smeared Calyx all over them to keep them from looking like a saltwater attack the first time it rains.
I ended up buying Hooker headpipes to ensure a good fit with the manifolds, but as I stated earlier, they did not fit. They did, however, furnish me with perfect, beautiful flanges to use after a little butchery. It felt somehow sacrilegious cutting them up but I figured, if Hooker sold only the flanges with a short length of straight pipe on them they'd probably be over a hundred bucks anyway. So, a shoulder-shrug later I had the saw out.
I opted for an H-pipe and the longer Magnamufflers to keep everything quiet. The current sizing is 2 1/2" all the way to the rear of the mufflers, where I tied into the 2 1/4" OEM tailpipe. I'm really happy with the sound!
Attached Images

Old 07-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #23
slammed48

Nice! It’s helpful to know the head pipes aren’t gonna work as is, so I can plan accordingly.

I’ve finally terminated my plug wire ends. I’m happy with it.

I coated my manifolds with Eastwood exhaust coating.

The only gripe I have regarding the manifolds so far is that one of the bolt heads would not fit without me grinding the manifold slightly.

Quote:
I finally finished 3 days worth of cutting, fitting, and welding after putting my new manifolds in. The fit on the manifolds is phenomenal (but as everyone knows, exhaust work is always 'one thing leads to another' etc). Lots of room on all sides, perfect bolt placement and sizing, and plenty of room for spark plug access--possibly even slightly better than stock. They're beefy and heavy too. I smeared Calyx all over them to keep them from looking like a saltwater attack the first time it rains.
I ended up buying Hooker headpipes to ensure a good fit with the manifolds, but as I stated earlier, they did not fit. They did, however, furnish me with perfect, beautiful flanges to use after a little butchery. It felt somehow sacrilegious cutting them up but I figured, if Hooker sold only the flanges with a short length of straight pipe on them they'd probably be over a hundred bucks anyway. So, a shoulder-shrug later I had the saw out.
I opted for an H-pipe and the longer Magnamufflers to keep everything quiet. The current sizing is 2 1/2" all the way to the rear of the mufflers, where I tied into the 2 1/4" OEM tailpipe. I'm really happy with the sound!
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2023, 12:00 AM   #24
SunSoaked

Been running them for a good 6 months now. I got the black ceramic ones. Built a new y+pipe, magnaflo high flow converter and muffler on a single 3 inch exhaust. System turned out excellent with the exception of the lousy POR 15 hi-temp paint.
Attached Images

SunSoaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:43 PM   #25
slammed48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSoaked View Post
Been running them for a good 6 months now. I got the black ceramic ones. Built a new y+pipe, magnaflo high flow converter and muffler on a single 3 inch exhaust. System turned out excellent with the exception of the lousy POR 15 hi-temp paint.
awesome! I still haven't had a chance to do the rest of the exhaust on mine. My goal is to quieten it as much as possible, and I've considered running a catalytic converter and single exhaust as well, but obviously it's easier to just run two pipes out the back than the y pipe.

No chance you have a sound clip of it running, huh?