The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2022, 03:12 AM   #1
Soundmound

My '84 Scottsdale

Hello fellow square body brethren. I'm no stranger to the car scene though new to this forum. I have some street cred from other GM forums, I assume that's how that works, no?

Picked this gem up last year after getting nostalgic for the '86 Silverado my dad let me drive to high school on occasion. Getting an eyeful of Orange Slice and some of the Syndicate trucks certainly contributed to the fever. (I'm dying for someone to reproduce that impact graphic just in case any of you know a guy.) Did my research and settled on an 81-87 2wd short. Might have cashed in my karma when I found this one. The frame appears to be mostly shiny black front to back under the dust. There was even an original set of GM spare keys taped up under it. The patina is barely getting started and it shines like near new. Mostly just light chips and stuff and I'm struggling to find evidence that it isn't original paint. Maybe it lived in a barn which could explain the legit 20 pounds of crud that was vacuumed out.

I have just started the interior cleanout and rehab and am pleased to find very minimal surface rust contained to the passenger floorboard where a leaky heater core went untreated by PO. Some POR15 should handle that nicely before it gets sound deadener.

I am looking to do a 4/6 static drop with 20" wheels if I can keep enough rubber on them for a comfortable ride and figure out what will work without needing to pull fender liners or swap to slosh tubs.

That's a brief intro to me and my square lol. Feel free to chew the fat if so inclined. Sorry about not being able to rotate the images.
Attached Images

Last edited by Soundmound; 02-28-2022 at 11:08 AM.
Soundmound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
Willowrun

Re: My '84 Scottsdale

Beautiful truck. I like your plans for it.
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #3
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

welcome, nice beginning. Look forward to seeing your plans...
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 11:58 PM   #4
LEEVON

Awesome find, tons of options on that one! Welcome to the board.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #5
Soundmound

I also thought it was well optioned for a mid-level rig. It's basically door trim and a headliner away from a Silverado really. Well, and a bigger powerplant
Old 03-03-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
LT7A

You grabbed a good one. Glad to see that you started a build thread. Will look forward to updates.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
Sovereign

Sounds like a fun build.

Here's my truck sitting on 20's with 4.5" front drop. Tires are 275/40s in the front and 315/40s in the rear. The ride is good and the tires are thicker than what most people run. I need more room up front for compression so I'll be going with mild tubz soon.

As for the graphics, check out Low Sierra Company. They only have Instagram at this time it seems. https://www.instagram.com/lowsierracompany/

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Last edited by Sovereign; 03-05-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 12:37 PM   #8
Soundmound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Sounds like a fun build.

Here's my truck sitting on 20's with 4.5" front drop. Tires are 275/40s in the front and 315/40s in the rear. The ride is good and the tires are thicker than what most people run. I need more room up front for compression so I'll be going with mild tubz soon.

As for the graphics, check out Low Sierra Company. They only have Instagram at this time it seems. https://www.instagram.com/lowsierracompany/

Thanks for the graphics info and the photos of your drop. Is the rear 6"? Rear looks perfect but I'll probably only do 3.5" in the front as I don't really want to tuck tire.
Old 03-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
Sovereign

I bought the truck lowered and the previous owner simply removed leafs from the spring pack and used drop shackles. I would agree it appears to be around 6 inches of drop, but I'm not certain.

3 - 3.5 inches in the front will be good if you don't want to go with slosh tubz.
Old 03-06-2022, 12:07 AM   #10
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
Sounds like a fun build.

Hey..... I see you got the 'log-in' situation sorted out
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #11
Sovereign

Hi Scott! Yes, I randomly tried it a couple weeks ago and everything worked as it should. I appreciate your help with it.
Old 06-12-2022, 09:41 AM   #12
Soundmound

Started with the tank replacement. Drivers had a hole and put out just as much debris as this passenger one. Probably 10 lbs. of dirt and mud cakes and stones.... The driveway is asphalt so everything you see, including the ones that look like rocks up into the grass, came out from between the plastic shield and the tank. It was like 2 inches thick on the driveway.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #13
Soundmound

New tanks in. All spectra parts. Cleaned up the OE tank brackets and did some rust reformer and some semi gloss black with all new anti-squeak. Also replaced all the rubber lines and repaired the missing studs for the shields. Started to wash the frame and now that its clean I'm not sure I want or need to paint it. It is nearly cherry as it sits and that was one pass with dawn and a blue dish sponge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Soundmound; 06-12-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-12-2022, 11:24 AM   #14
SCOTI

Not bad @ all.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-12-2022, 01:05 PM   #15
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Yea, truck looks great. Def has good bones for building.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 02:41 PM   #16
Sovereign

I wouldn't paint the frame. Maybe clean it some more while you're there but it looks great for a driver. Glad you're making progress.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:43 AM   #17
LT7A

That's some nice progress.
Old 06-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #18
Soundmound

Well, my wife and I were fired yesterday by the mega corporation that bought the mom and pop property management company we were running. We are so incredibly relieved you have no idea! We had seen the absolute highest volume ever, during a pandemic, all while fighting the worst regulatory environment that has ever existed in this market. They have to replace the two of us with at least 4 people and have to stuff 2 years of intimate knowledge into their brains literally overnight or they will struggle and quite likely fail, LOL. Looks like the truck goes on pause for a minute while we sort out new gigs or fire up a business of our own, but first to Coeur d’Alene for Car d’Alene as we have not had a vacation in almost 2 years!
Old 06-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmound View Post
Well, my wife and I were fired yesterday by the mega corporation that bought the mom and pop property management company we were running. We are so incredibly relieved you have no idea! We had seen the absolute highest volume ever, during a pandemic, all while fighting the worst regulatory environment that has ever existed in this market. They have to replace the two of us with at least 4 people and have to stuff 2 years of intimate knowledge into their brains literally overnight or they will struggle and quite likely fail, LOL. Looks like the truck goes on pause for a minute while we sort out new gigs or fire up a business of our own, but first to Coeur d’Alene for Car d’Alene as we have not had a vacation in almost 2 years!
Good for you to take advantage of the 'free time' you were granted. Time with & for each other is good for you both.

That truck will be there when the right timing comes along. Best wishes toward you're new direction.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-16-2022, 07:00 PM   #20
Sovereign

Agreed. Hope it works out for the best for you both!
Old 06-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #21
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Good for you to take advantage of the 'free time' you were granted. Time with & for each other is good for you both.

That truck will be there when the right timing comes along. Best wishes toward your new direction.
I agree with everything SCOTI said. There are times when being released from one's employment obligations is something one wouldn't have granted oneself - and then the employer goes and does it for you. Good for you and good luck!
Old 06-17-2022, 07:55 AM   #22
Soundmound

Thanks all I appreciate the kind words. As it turns out bad gas travels fast in a small town, lol. We woke up to three job offers before noon the day after it happened and hadn't spoken to anyone. Turns out they emailed the owners and it went "viral" through town. They just sowed the seeds of ruin for themselves and I'm just sitting here getting my fiddle tuned up to watch Rome burn
Old 06-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #23
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundmound View Post
Thanks all I appreciate the kind words. As it turns out bad gas travels fast in a small town, lol. We woke up to three job offers before noon the day after it happened and hadn't spoken to anyone. Turns out they emailed the owners and it went "viral" through town. They just sowed the seeds of ruin for themselves and I'm just sitting here getting my fiddle tuned up to watch Rome burn
Wow, it's cool to get that kind of support!