The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #1
pat english

California certified 6.2 diesel? Gas to diesel swap

I'm waiting for a call from the smog ref,but I'm thinking that if a "California certified"6.2 diesel exsists,i can do the swap I want to do.can anybody confirm if there was such a thing as a California certified 6.2 diesel?

And does anybody know which would produce more emissions? 454 gas engine or the 6.2 diesel?
pat english is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: California certified 6.2 diesel? Gas to diesel swap

What year truck is the engine going into and what year vehicle is the engine coming from?
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
Ziegelsteinfaust

You can swap in a cummins, a brand F IDI, and the 6.2.

They just need to be vehicle certified, and not generator or industrial engines. I don't believe there was a CA version of diesels at that time since buyers were into gas engines.

I am not Mr. Diesel here, but my research says it is not much more difficult to get a Cummins 6BT into the truck smog legal then the 6.2. Plus you'll have a engine that will increase your value of the truck. Plus in reality it is not much more expensive the a 6.2 swap.

Last edited by Ziegelsteinfaust; 10-18-2020 at 06:25 PM.
Ziegelsteinfaust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
What year truck is the engine going into and what year vehicle is the engine coming from?
My truck is an 82 and the engine is from an 83 both trucks are 1 ton crewcabs.i did some more digging and found that the engine I want to use is a California engine.(said it right on the air cleaner)
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
You can swap in a cummins, a brand F IDI, and the 6.2.

They just need to be vehicle certified, and not generator or industrial engines. I don't believe there was a CA version of diesels at that time since buyers were into gas engines.

I am not Mr. Diesel here, but my research says it is not much more difficult to get a Cummins 6BT into the truck smog legal then the 6.2. Plus you'll have a engine that will increase your value of the truck. Plus in reality it is not much more expensive the a 6.2 swap.

I'd love to do all that,but I gotta work with what I have.according to the smog bar requirements it has to be an engine that was offered in the truck and in the same weight class.im thinking I will be able to meet all the requirements for the swap.im wondering if I'm missing something or reading something wrong.
Or if anyone has done this swap recently.the threads I've read about it are over 10 years old and I know alot can change in that time.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2020, 08:52 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

Both those engines were offered in the same weight class. 3/4, and 1 ton trucks.

So they are legal you just have to swap the emissions stuff over too. Just like the 6.2 diesel.

Which is why you can not use industrial grade or versions.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:55 PM   #7
pat english

Quote:
Both those engines were offered in the same weight class. 3/4, and 1 ton trucks.

So they are legal you just have to swap the emissions stuff over too. Just like the 6.2 diesel.

Which is why you can not use industrial grade or versions.
Thanks.im having a little more confidence about this now.but I will let you know what the smog ref says if he calls.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

There's lots of good info out there on the swaps.

But from what I have learned is it is usually best to talk to the refs to really nail down what they look for.

Plus make it look clean. Alot of it has to do if it looks right itnprobably is.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #9
pat english

Quote:
There's lots of good info out there on the swaps.

But from what I have learned is it is usually best to talk to the refs to really nail down what they look for.

Plus make it look clean. Alot of it has to do if it looks right itnprobably is.
I found on some other forums guys saying they did it and wasn't a big deal at all and some people saying It can't be done.

For sure.ill clean it up good but will probably leave the air cleaner alone.that has the California tag on it.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:26 AM   #10
Rickysnickers

It looks like you shouldn't have an issue. If you don't hear back from the referee, call your local BAR office. There are several around the state. They should be able to give you the correct info too. Here's the # for the Culver City office, (310) 410-0024. This is the list of the local offices statewide, https://www.bar.ca.gov/About_BAR/Contact_Us.aspx
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
It looks like you shouldn't have an issue. If you don't hear back from the referee, call your local BAR office. There are several around the state. They should be able to give you the correct info too. Here's the # for the Culver City office, (310) 410-0024. This is the list of the local offices statewide, https://www.bar.ca.gov/About_BAR/Contact_Us.aspx
Thanks for #s and taking the time to read this boring thread.it gives me a little more confidence.ill wait till the end of the week,then I'll try to call again.

(The reason I'm looking for assurance here is because the lady on the phone said you cant change to a smaller displacement engine.but I think she was mistaken and meant you cant put a engine from a smaller weight class in.so I asked her if she knows of any exceptions to that rule and she said she really doesn't know.so thats why she made me an appointment to speak with a ref)
Old 10-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #12
kipps

Quote:
Plus make it look clean. Alot of it has to do if it looks right it probably is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat english View Post
For sure. I'll clean it up good but will probably leave the air cleaner alone.that has the California tag on it.
"Clean" means more than just free of grunge and corrosion. Much more important is a clean install. No butchered and half-assed wiring, no zipties taking the place of a bolt, no badly hand-made brackets, etc.

Basically, the engine and all accessories need to look like they belong down there, and everything should look well taken care of. So it doesn't have to look like a concours-correct restoration, but it should look like grandpa's one-owner truck that's been dealer maintained. Not cobbled together by a shady car dealer trying to make a fast buck.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
pat english

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
"Clean" means more than just free of grunge and corrosion. Much more important is a clean install. No butchered and half-assed wiring, no zipties taking the place of a bolt, no badly hand-made brackets, etc.

Basically, the engine and all accessories need to look like they belong down there, and everything should look well taken care of. So it doesn't have to look like a concours-correct restoration, but it should look like grandpa's one-owner truck that's been dealer maintained. Not cobbled together by a shady car dealer trying to make a fast buck.
Right on.good to know.
I have all the factory stuff.i got almost 2 engines.1 pretty complete and the other in pieces.im hoping to make one work from the 2.

It will look cleaner than the half assed butchered engine stand for sure.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #14
pat english

Smog ref just called.IM GOOD TO GO!!
so happy about this.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:01 PM   #15
Rickysnickers

Excellent