The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #26
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: Anybody using a 6l80 in their swap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
Any 6l that came in a car should be set up for manual shifting already. Truck 6L transmissions were not set-up that way and use a different O/S on the trans from what i understand.
I wouldn't look at it as different operating systems, its programed differently. Trucks use BCM to control tap shift, not sure of the year ranges, but the 6l80e corvette mentioned in the youtube and what I followed sent the different voltages to the transmission directly depending on tap up or tap down or sport mode. Its simple change in HPtuners, not re-flashing operating systems, just parameters outlined in the instructions.

clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:42 AM   #27
Richard

The flashing I mentioned of the TCM has nothing to do with the shifting or the type of vehicle it came from. The TCM communicates with the ECM over can bus. I was told by different sources that this communication cannot happen without specific information in "the OS" as you call it. The changes cannot be made with tuning. One of the reasons a stand alone controller and aftermarket control has been difficult for the newer gen 6+ speed autos. As said I chose to get all the parts from the same vehicle to avoid this complication.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:52 PM   #28
6600DURAMAX

I'm still having issues in figuring out the linkage to shift the 6L80e ......... anyone have any luck or options ....

I called Lokar and they insist they do not make a cable shift that allows use of the factory column ..... must use floor shifter they say

1971 CREWMAX Build.....at body shop for couple more years
6600DURAMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:25 AM   #29
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post
I'm still having issues in figuring out the linkage to shift the 6L80e ......... anyone have any luck or options ....

I called Lokar and they insist they do not make a cable shift that allows use of the factory column ..... must use floor shifter they say
Used the Lokar rod linkage on my 6L90 with my factory tilt. Pics of linkage in the last post of my thread. I made a couple adjustments on rod since the pics to get indicator/gates in column all lining up correctly. Am a little concerned about engine/trans twist under power affecting the linkage. Will address that later if it is a problem. A little info in this 4L80 thread https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=756278
Old 03-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #30
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6600DURAMAX View Post

I have the rod style and have not had any issues. I have rubber motor mounts and a decent cam and never had any problem with it jumping out of gear.

I am not sure why their cable style ACA-1804 won't work with a 6L if you buy their ACA-1810 lever. Maybe the cable doesn't have enough swing to reach all the gears in a 6 speed? Or maybe the tap up/tap down for manual shifting?
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:07 AM   #31
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
Im not done with the swap, but HPtuners reads tap up and tap down correctly when in scanning mode. I usedthe Corvette wiring diagram, 3 resistors per that diagram and wired just like the diagram.
If you don't run the BCM, you have to change the settings in the tune for this to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34u5nH06x6Y

hptuners link in site requires forum access, if you dont have it,

uploaded it to my site since there is a limit on upload to here

http://87chevy.com/share/6speed%20Ta...uck%20Tune.doc

clint
By any chance, did you get this to work or did you try it? I built the circuit and wired it up. I changed the settings with HP Tuners, but nothing. I checked resistance and it is correct. I am wondering if the voltage is varying as I have the power wire right to the fuse box.
Old 03-09-2023, 11:17 PM   #32
87chevy.com

Quote:
By any chance, did you get this to work or did you try it? I built the circuit and wired it up. I changed the settings with HP Tuners, but nothing. I checked resistance and it is correct. I am wondering if the voltage is varying as I have the power wire right to the fuse box.
I tested it on the bmw x5 build i am doing now. 2019 l83 w/6L80 but have been pre occupied to work on it since December time. Hp tuners detected tap up and tap down correctly. I dont have coolant or power steering fluid in it yet, so I only ran it for a few minutes. Game plan is to finish the itty bitty little bit of exhaust welding that needs to get done so I can finanly put it on the ground and test drive it.

Next time I fire it up, I will connect hp tuners and read the shifter tap up/down and see what the transmission does and update.

not sure about the voltage thing you talked about, can you post a picture of how its wired?
the transmission will get the different voltage from the "switch" signal wire when it is in tap up and tap down mode

clint

Old 03-10-2023, 08:32 AM   #33
Joyridin

Quote:
I tested it on the bmw x5 build i am doing now. 2019 l83 w/6L80 but have been pre occupied to work on it since December time. Hp tuners detected tap up and tap down correctly. I dont have coolant or power steering fluid in it yet, so I only ran it for a few minutes. Game plan is to finish the itty bitty little bit of exhaust welding that needs to get done so I can finanly put it on the ground and test drive it.

Next time I fire it up, I will connect hp tuners and read the shifter tap up/down and see what the transmission does and update.

not sure about the voltage thing you talked about, can you post a picture of how its wired?
the transmission will get the different voltage from the "switch" signal wire when it is in tap up and tap down mode

clint
You can't see the TUTD on my HP Tuners. It will show P,R, then neutral for all gears after unless the truck is running. I saw one time in the shifting mode option on HP, it said TUTD WOT, but it normally reads Normal.

As for the voltage, I am wondering if the voltage is varying. All the resistors do is vary the voltage, but if I am inputting 14 volts and run it through the resistance chain, I might get 10 volts versus if I run 12 volts through and get 8 volts. I am wondering how touchy the trans might be on needing a very specific voltage for the TUTD to work.

Since you have a 6l, when I shift through the gears, it works like this:

Park
Reverse
Neutral
D6 (Automatic shifting to 6th gear)
D4 (Auto shifting to 4th gear)
D1 (Stays in 1st)
D2 (Auto shift 1-2)

Is this correct? This is the dumbest thing I have ever used. If you use D2, you have to go back into D1 to get to D6.

Thanks, Ron
Old 03-11-2023, 05:00 AM   #34
Richard

From what I understand the 6L90 from the 2013 ZL1 Camaro in my truck is PRNDM no individual gear selection except in manual setting, which is done electronically. While there are additional detents in the shifter shaft, they are not used.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:03 AM   #35
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
From what I understand the 6L90 from the 2013 ZL1 Camaro in my truck is PRNDM no individual gear selection except in manual setting, which is done electronically. While there are additional detents in the shifter shaft, they are not used.
When you wire the trans for TUTD operation, you program it for D4, which is where you are stating the M/S shift is located.
Old 03-11-2023, 09:38 AM   #36
87chevy.com

Is hp tuners showing the correct gear selectred compared to what is programmed for tap shift?

Old 03-11-2023, 10:41 PM   #37
87chevy.com

Quote:
You can't see the TUTD on my HP Tuners. It will show P,R, then neutral for all gears after unless the truck is running. I saw one time in the shifting mode option on HP, it said TUTD WOT, but it normally reads Normal.

As for the voltage, I am wondering if the voltage is varying. All the resistors do is vary the voltage, but if I am inputting 14 volts and run it through the resistance chain, I might get 10 volts versus if I run 12 volts through and get 8 volts. I am wondering how touchy the trans might be on needing a very specific voltage for the TUTD to work.

Since you have a 6l, when I shift through the gears, it works like this:

Park
Reverse
Neutral
D6 (Automatic shifting to 6th gear)
D4 (Auto shifting to 4th gear)
D1 (Stays in 1st)
D2 (Auto shift 1-2)

Is this correct? This is the dumbest thing I have ever used. If you use D2, you have to go back into D1 to get to D6.

Thanks, Ron
I never shifted past D1

with the current tune (ish) that it has, When i come to a stop light and there is a need to at about 20 mph, i will shift to D4 it downshifts and rpms and exhaust notes sing a little, then to D1 and its like rev matching... silly but sounds cool... ill have to get a video of it ... probably make more sense

As far as HPtuners displaying it. I have a VCM scanner file I cobbled up, that

87chevy.com/tapshift2023.Channels.zip

its a zip folder with the .xml file that hp tuner uses for channels that I added the transmsision PIDs to it

my folder is in located:

C:\Users\xxxx computer name xxxx\Documents\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Channel Configs

You dont have to paste it there, but when you go to VCM scanner and open a config file, you can just look for it wherever you downloads go.

See if it displays correctly? it should read the gear displayed, and then if in sport mode/tap up tap down. I will connect the laptop to the X5 swap tomorrow and take a video of it displaying the inputs.

clint

I think I sold you a Gen5 connector kit from ebay... your screen name sounds familiar.

Old 03-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #38
Joyridin

Quote:
I never shifted past D1

with the current tune (ish) that it has, When i come to a stop light and there is a need to at about 20 mph, i will shift to D4 it downshifts and rpms and exhaust notes sing a little, then to D1 and its like rev matching... silly but sounds cool... ill have to get a video of it ... probably make more sense

As far as HPtuners displaying it. I have a VCM scanner file I cobbled up, that

87chevy.com/tapshift2023.Channels.zip

its a zip folder with the .xml file that hp tuner uses for channels that I added the transmsision PIDs to it

my folder is in located:

C:\Users\xxxx computer name xxxx\Documents\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Channel Configs

You dont have to paste it there, but when you go to VCM scanner and open a config file, you can just look for it wherever you downloads go.

See if it displays correctly? it should read the gear displayed, and then if in sport mode/tap up tap down. I will connect the laptop to the X5 swap tomorrow and take a video of it displaying the inputs.

clint

I think I sold you a Gen5 connector kit from ebay... your screen name sounds familiar.
I have a whole list of channels it monitors. It reads the gears when the truck is running, but not when sitting in the garage with the key on. It does not show going into TUTD mode.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:09 PM   #39
87chevy.com

what voltages are you getting at the wire going to the transmission in tap up and tap down?
do you have the correct terminal for the transmission and is it going to the correct pin location?
clint

Old 03-13-2023, 09:36 PM   #40
87chevy.com

using the same config file for the tap up / down pids,
Key on, engine off, dont want to start it:
Fluid temp 61ºF
In drive, it shows D6
Current gear 1
Trans Mode Normal

Trans Fast learn Disabled... not sure why I put that on there, but whatever.

when I put the Stock shifter into sport mode With my resistor setup, It does nothing to Trans mode. But when its pressed to tap shift up or down, it changes to

Trans Mode TUTD

when the engines running and in drive, it will change Current Gear accordingly

Schematic factory,
When in sport mode, it gets 12v and sends it through 8.25k resistor to trans, and when up or down, it goes through the other lesser value resistors.

to get out of TUTD, I have to go to neutral and back to Drive (D6). I dont know if it is like modern cars, where if you dont give it an input for xx time, it will default back to D6.... havnt driven it yet

Old 03-14-2023, 04:29 PM   #41
Joyridin

Quote:
using the same config file for the tap up / down pids,
Key on, engine off, dont want to start it:
Fluid temp 61ºF
In drive, it shows D6
Current gear 1
Trans Mode Normal

Trans Fast learn Disabled... not sure why I put that on there, but whatever.

when I put the Stock shifter into sport mode With my resistor setup, It does nothing to Trans mode. But when its pressed to tap shift up or down, it changes to

Trans Mode TUTD

when the engines running and in drive, it will change Current Gear accordingly

Schematic factory,
When in sport mode, it gets 12v and sends it through 8.25k resistor to trans, and when up or down, it goes through the other lesser value resistors.

to get out of TUTD, I have to go to neutral and back to Drive (D6). I dont know if it is like modern cars, where if you dont give it an input for xx time, it will default back to D6.... havnt driven it yet
Yes, I believe it is the correct pin. They are labeled on the connector and it is in #7. I am going to run a resistance check back to the switch just to make sure.

Mine isn't showing anything like what you are seeing in HP Tuners. I am going to have to do some more checking when I get a chance. Mine shows neutral in D, D4, D1 and all the rest except park and reverse. It changes when I am driving though.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2023, 05:10 PM   #42
87chevy.com

Quote:
Yes, I believe it is the correct pin. They are labeled on the connector and it is in #7. I am going to run a resistance check back to the switch just to make sure.

Mine isn't showing anything like what you are seeing in HP Tuners. I am going to have to do some more checking when I get a chance. Mine shows neutral in D, D4, D1 and all the rest except park and reverse. It changes when I am driving though.

Thanks!
maybe the shift linkage is out of adjustment? I would imagine it would show the same, neutral, for neutral, drive for drive/D6

I forget what version of HPtuners I have, but the config file should work. If you have a custom config file, I would save it before loading another one.

clint

Old 03-15-2023, 01:11 AM   #43
Richard

Quote:
When you wire the trans for TUTD operation, you program it for D4, which is where you are stating the M/S shift is located.
I am expecting/hoping I do not have to make any changes at all in the tune for shifting except for gear ratio as the engine/trans/ecm is all stock ZL1 Camaro. Will see when I get to it.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:53 PM   #44
pcmcobra

I did install the swaptime unit. It does show in hpt a manual shift change.
(The wiring colors are wrong on the wire end of the connector, FYI)
My truck is at the tuners, hopefully be back this week. I will be able to test out the tap shift function and let you all know.

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:48 AM   #45
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmcobra View Post
I did install the swaptime unit. It does show in hpt a manual shift change.
(The wiring colors are wrong on the wire end of the connector, FYI)
My truck is at the tuners, hopefully be back this week. I will be able to test out the tap shift function and let you all know.
I believe he stopped making that unit. Last time I called him, he said it has a chip in the unit and the people making it for him couldn't get the chip anymore.