The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
70C10Ginger

Help sourcing wiring parts

Hey all! I’ve got a 70 GMC K25 I’ve been trying to restore. I’ve rebuilt a 350, np205, etc. almost all the mechanicals are sound (damn “new” steering box leaked right out of the box), and am now trying to prevent the thing from catching on fire while running down the street cause of the wiring.

I have some parts already fingered out, and am trying to get it all assembled. Driving on the interstate during a rainstorm at night with the stomper switch glowing and barely any headlights was not a fun experience.

I’ve got a fuse block, firewall connecter, and engine bay harness. All the wiring from the engine bay to the tail lights has been done by an older friend of mine, and I’m trying to build the firewall connector, fuse block out to all the connectors: I have a kit from speedway for the fuse block rebuild, but can find the firewall connectors. Here’s some pics.

I’m trying to completely replace all of the wiring components and upgrade it. Trying to have a dual battery setup with an ARB air compressor and a power tool charging station.
Attached Images

70C10Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:58 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Help sourcing wiring parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70C10Ginger View Post
Hey all! I’ve got a 70 GMC K25 I’ve been trying to restore. I’ve rebuilt a 350, np205, etc. almost all the mechanicals are sound (damn “new” steering box leaked right out of the box), and am now trying to prevent the thing from catching on fire while running down the street cause of the wiring.

I have some parts already fingered out, and am trying to get it all assembled. Driving on the interstate during a rainstorm at night with the stomper switch glowing and barely any headlights was not a fun experience.

I’ve got a fuse block, firewall connecter, and engine bay harness. All the wiring from the engine bay to the tail lights has been done by an older friend of mine, and I’m trying to build the firewall connector, fuse block out to all the connectors: I have a kit from speedway for the fuse block rebuild, but can find the firewall connectors. Here’s some pics.

I’m trying to completely replace all of the wiring components and upgrade it. Trying to have a dual battery setup with an ARB air compressor and a power tool charging station.
I used M&H. They can reproduce the stock wiring harness perfectly. All the lines are color coded correctly and the terminals are Factory. Not cheap. But the best.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 05:51 PM   #3
70C10Ginger

Ha, major trust issues, so I’m laying every square inch of wire personally. Wondering if anybody has done this before. Here are those pics I promised. This is of the block and firewall blocks with the connectors
Attached Images

Old 01-10-2023, 05:57 PM   #4
70C10Ginger

Attention

Only looking for part number for firewall connectors and wire info. Not that you bought some kit from whoever.

Thanks for all the knowledge
Attached Images

Last edited by 70C10Ginger; 01-10-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Picture didn’t upload
Old 01-10-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

NAPA carries the Packard 56 connector pins you need. I'm not listing the part numbers as they come in different sizes depending on the wire guage used.

The most of the connector bodies can be purchased individually from M&H. They don't list them on their web site, you will have to pick up the phone and call them.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:16 PM   #6
Old_Truck_Fan

American Autowire has the Packard terminals and connectors available individually. They have good tech support too.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...als-connectors
Old_Truck_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:56 PM   #7
70C10Ginger

So they are called packard terminals? What are the ones that go into the connection for the dome light? Thank you all so much
Old 01-10-2023, 09:57 PM   #8
70C10Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Truck_Fan View Post
American Autowire has the Packard terminals and connectors available individually. They have good tech support too.

https://www.americanautowire.com/sho...als-connectors
Never mind. This has everything! You are so awesome. Thank you
Old 01-13-2023, 12:14 AM   #9
franken

Make sure there's a fusible link between the battery + side and the little fender junction block to keep a short from cooking the harness between the battery and fuse panel...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote