The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 AM   #26
SCOTI

Re: MOOG Disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
Well if they were a few years old on a vehicle being used I would get your point but the op stated the truck isnt on the road and maybe has three miles on it. Almost like taking it out of the box and its cracked not acceptable
I get this. But far too often now, the parts aren't 'fresh' when we get them either. I opened up more than one suspension part box when I rebuilt the front end on my '99 over this past x-mas through New Years holiday week to pull out a dusty item from the box. It was all Moog Problem Solver stuff sourced from Summit Racing. I would bet 63-87 truck parts don't sell/move as fast/often as for a later model like my '99.

Heck.... I just purchased a new battery from Advanced Auto on 6/10/21. We went to start the car that night & it would barely crank (6.0:1 4cyl flathead). Put a meter to it & less than 12v. They tested it the next morning & it was bad. That 'new' battery was built May of 2018. The only other one they had in that same size on the shelf was even older (Nov '17). New batterys that are already multi-years of age.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 12:37 PM   #27
weim55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
So, last fall/winter I rebuilt my entire front suspension, steering, and converted to power disc brakes on the front. Another thread on here a week or so ago got me to looking at everything and I discovered that one of the boots on my tie rods is completely split and the others are already cracked. WTH? The truck literally has maybe three miles on it since this was all installed as it is still not technically road ready, but close.

Anybody got recommendations for replacement tie rod boots? I'm a little aggravated to be going back and pulling some of this apart.

A now typical problem I've been dealing with for 10+ years now. I'm also suspect of all the aftermarket with just about everything. Back in the day I would just through a front end ( as an example) replace everything with new. Not anymore, I carefully check everything and reuse anything I can that is OEM. The rest, if possible, I look for NOS, and willing to pay the $$. I save stuff like used OEM ball joint boots if they are nice (unthinkable years ago). With a careful inspect I even reuse wheel cylinder, master cylinder rubbers and hard parts as the failure and fitament issues are so common and the old rubber quality is far superior to anything new off the shelf.

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:41 PM   #28
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Heck.... I just purchased a new battery from Advanced Auto on 6/10/21. We went to start the car that night & it would barely crank (6.0:1 4cyl flathead). Put a meter to it & less than 12v. They tested it the next morning & it was bad. That 'new' battery was built May of 2018. The only other one they had in that same size on the shelf was even older (Nov '17). New batterys that are already multi-years of age.
I just avoided this problem this past weekend when going to fetch a battery at NAPA (20% order online and pick up in store) for my Vette. They attempted to hand me a battery born on Aug 2020. They told me "The warranty actually starts on the date of purchase". I said "Let's put a meter on it". He did. I ended up walking out with a battery with a Mar 2021 date, which was at the back of the shelf with 3 older batteries in front of it. Lol.
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:29 PM   #29
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
I just avoided this problem this past weekend when going to fetch a battery at NAPA (20% order online and pick up in store) for my Vette. They attempted to hand me a battery born on Aug 2020. They told me "The warranty actually starts on the date of purchase". I said "Let's put a meter on it". He did. I ended up walking out with a battery with a Mar 2021 date, which was at the back of the shelf with 3 older batteries in front of it. Lol.
I normally would have had it tested but I'm getting worse w/my ability to interact w/people so I just avoid them when needed. The counter people that day were freaking chatty-cathys so avoid was the correct play @ the time for me.

The guy there the next morning was easier to work with but unlucky.... I was irritated @ that point. He did agree w/me that they should have never even had it (or the one that was even older) on the shelf to sell.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-23-2021, 06:31 PM   #30
jimijam00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I normally would have had it tested but I'm getting worse w/my ability to interact w/people so I just avoid them when needed. The counter people that day were freaking chatty-cathys so avoid was the correct play @ the time for me.
I hear ya. The guy that helped me wanted to talk about what car it was going in, how long I've had it, what color it was........... I had to tell him three times I was running late. Lol.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #31
52napco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67C10Step View Post
Not to be obtuse but these are the sort of comments online that drive me nuts. Can you provide some alternatives to Moog that you have used and would recommend? This is, for the most part, a helpful community of people with a common interest. I’ve gotten a lot of help on this board and this thread should be helpful to some as that is the reason I started it.
Well excuse me for stating the facts. do some homework before buying a product based off its name.. there are better options out there support your local NAPA store instead of buying the cheap stuff at rockauto.com or wherever..
52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:09 PM   #32
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52napco View Post
Well excuse me for stating the facts. do some homework before buying a product based off its name.. there are better options out there support your local NAPA store instead of buying the cheap stuff at rockauto.com or wherever..
I bought Moog problem solver parts that seemed to have a pretty good reputation. You must be a hoot at parties. Thanks for the facts.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:45 PM   #33
52napco

You are correct...at one time MOOG was top notch but when the were
Bought out and manufacturing went overseas the quality went away.
I quit installing their parts at the shop years ago for this very reason
Old 06-24-2021, 05:52 PM   #34
67C10Step

Quote:
I have definitely learned my lesson and hope this thread will help others before making their decisions. I’m going to contact Moog but I’m about to head to grumpy old mans area for a few days first. Let it get good and hot so I can sweat a bunch while I’m irritated.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:55 PM   #35
SCOTI

Quote:
I know you meant no-harm or disrespect in your initial post within the thread. But this info included within your post would given that info more substance.

I try to stay on top of things but I'm not 'in the industry' so I don't deal w/it constantly. I didn't know MOOG was under different ownership although I suspected something changed when that R/K index started appearing on parts I was looking at. I appreciate the info & will do some research. Thanks for contributing
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #36
jimijam00

Quote:
there are better options out there support your local NAPA store instead of buying the cheap stuff at rockauto.com or wherever..
That may be true, but NAPA is NOT one of those "better options" though.

My local NAPA does not manufacture their owns parts. They have two lines of parts, with lower line being made in China. The top line, is questionable. NAPA Chassis parts are from Federal-Mogul Motorparts (FMM). Coincidently, so are those MOOG parts. Likely not different. Comparing MOOG with NAPA Chassis Parts almost certainly like comparing American Standard heat pumps with Trane heat pumps...same company, same parts, same assembly plant, same assembly line, different paint and label.

So, why do you think NAPA is superior to Rock Auto?

Last edited by jimijam00; 06-24-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:33 PM   #37
52napco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimijam00 View Post
That may be true, but NAPA is NOT one of those "better options" though.

My local NAPA does not manufacture their owns parts. They have two lines of parts, with lower line being made in China. The top line, is questionable. NAPA Chassis parts are from Federal-Mogul Motorparts (FMM). Coincidently, so are those MOOG parts. Likely not different. Comparing MOOG with NAPA Chassis Parts almost certainly like comparing American Standard heat pumps with Trane heat pumps...same company, same parts, same assembly plant, same assembly line, different paint and label.

So, why do you think NAPA is superior to Rock Auto?
Very true...sadly most are made in the same plants and boxed under different labels.