The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
outlawedchevy

1971 c-10, new starter, and wont turn

Howdy! I am new here and have read through many of the threads, and you guys can give some great advice. I am hoping you can help here. I had an old rebuilt starter that went bad, took it to Kragen and they hooked me up with a new one. Threw it in, and made sure I reconnected everything the way it is supposed to be and it wont start. Wont even make a sound. Charged the battery, that was fine, still nothin? I called up the schematics for this particular starter to double check my connections and I was ok, checked the fuses, and they were ok as well......any avice is very helpful.
outlawedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
lowriden58

Re: 1971 c-10, new starter, and wont turn

check to make sure you are getting power to the starter first.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...en58/001-2.jpg
lowriden58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
outlawedchevy

New at this please forgive,
through the battery pos cable or the ignition wire?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Is it possible that this starter was bad from the store? I have had it happen before when buying a rebuilt starter especially.

Assuming it is good, then you have three wires to deal with (if you still have factory coil ignition, only 2 wires if you have changed to HEI). I would start by checking the main battery cable connection at the battery and the other end on the big terminal of the starter. If they are tight then look at the smaller wires. You should have a wire (sorry I forget what color it should be from the factory) that gets 12 Volts when you turn the key to the start position. It will hook to the small terminal on the starter labled "S" for start.

The third wire, assuming you still have the factory coil ignition setup it the purple wire. It will hook up to the "I" terminal on the starter. This runs up to your ignition system.

You might want to recheck to make sure the "I" and "S" wires are correct, I have seen lots of people mix them up.

Have you used a test light or 12V meter to check the "start" wire at the starter? Like I said, you should have 12V at the terminal when you turn the key to "start". Hope this helps some.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #5
outlawedchevy

Thank you, I will go double check the termianls. I have R and an S terminals. And only one wire (blue aligator) that runs from the coil. Be back shortly.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawedchevy View Post
Thank you, I will go double check the termianls. I have R and an S terminals. And only one wire (blue aligator) that runs from the coil. Be back shortly.
Yeah some are that way. "R" = "resistance" = "I"

If you only have one wire and it runs up to the coil then that is the I or R wire. You should have another one that comes from under the dash and through the firewall. Here is a diagram that I found elsewhere on the web that might help. It reminded me about the Neutral Safetly Switch. Auto transmission trucks have them.

Last edited by Critter; 02-12-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #7
outlawedchevy

Thanks again for your help. I tightened the connections and that seemed to help. It began to turn over but sounded very sluggish and the battery died (brand new battery). Jumped it, and still not enough power to turn over....what do you think?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
outlawedchevy

Critter, thanks for your help and the diagram, it helped alot. Still cant get enough power to start, my have to charge battery, do youhave an other ideas? Thanks again
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawedchevy View Post
Thanks again for your help. I tightened the connections and that seemed to help. It began to turn over but sounded very sluggish and the battery died (brand new battery). Jumped it, and still not enough power to turn over....what do you think?
I think you have a bad/old/corroded battery cable. It isn't letting enough power get to the starter. Don't forget to check the negative cable as well. Voltage has to travel away from the battery AND back to it to make the complete circuit. If either of them are bad then it could make your starter drag.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
outlawedchevy

Thanks, I wil replace and let you know, i do appreciate your advice!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #11
sjarrett71

Make sure it's shimmed correctly. If it's too tight against the flywheel it will bind. Best thing you could do is replace the battery cables though if they are old. Remember to make a good clean connection for your ground cable. Take sand paper and clean the area real good then wipe the rust dust off with a towel and parts cleaner.
sjarrett71 is offline   Reply With Quote