The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #26
Xeen

Parts!

YAY Parts!
I got my rear shock relocator kit from CPP today.
Heres a pic.

You like my workbench?

Next I will be getting the Rear Suspension Crossmember frame section, Automatic Transmission Crossmember, and '71 Accelerator Pedal Assembly.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #27
67chevy1series

Re: 1968 Chevrolet SWB Stepside Restomod

very nice work so far! keep it up
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Xeen

Today I installed the CPP rear Lower shock relocation brackets just to get it out of the way so its done before I replace the rear Suspension Crossmember.
I was surprised how much the angle of the shock changed just by installing the lower brackets.
Sorry no pics because everyone who has done it already knows what it looks like installed, but once the new rear suspension crossmember and upper shock relocation brackets are installed I will post some pics.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #29
Xeen

I have an opportunity to pick up a Original GM '71 truck Tilt Column for $250 that is right and tight.
Good price? Opinion Yes - No?
Old 09-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #30
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I have an opportunity to pick up a Original GM '71 truck Tilt Column for $250 that is right and tight.
Good price? Opinion Yes - No?
VERY nice price if in good shape and a true truck tilt...not a van or motor home tilt.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #31
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
VERY nice price if in good shape and a true truck tilt...not a van or motor home tilt.
Copy that I will pick it up.
Thanks VA72C10
Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #32
Xeen

*Update*
The Original GM Truck Tilt isnt going to happen because of unforseen circumstances.
Back to Plan A which is to get the Rear Suspension Crossmember, Automatic Transmission Crossmember, Parking Brake Assembly and Accelerator Pedal Assembly taken care of.

Last edited by Xeen; 09-08-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #33
Xeen

Today im heading up to KC to pick up a bunch of parts most notably the rear suspension crossmember frame section.
The other parts im getting are Automatic transmission crossmember, Accelerator Pedal Assembly, Ash Tray, Door Handle Gasket Set, Door Lock Knob Set, Defroster Outlets and Pedal Pad Set.

Other parts I might pick up include, Used Foot operated Parking Brake Assembly and assorted Cables and Connectors, Wing Window Assemblies, Disk Brake dust Shields, new SS Booster Line and RH Headlight Bezel, it all depends on what the cash layout is going to be for everything.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #34
Xeen

Today I painted the Accelerator Pedal Assembly and the Parking Brake Pedal Assembly.
Here are some pictures.

Next I will be painting the Automatic Transmission Crossmember stay tuned.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #35
Xeen

I had a "little" accident today, I was shaving the head off of a frame rivet when the edge of my 4 1/2" cutoff wheel caught a bracket and shreded and ripped the angle grinder out of my hands and it hit the ground and jumped up and the serrated edge hit the side my leg just above my knee and sliced a 2" long 1/2" deep gash, however I got rediculously lucky and it didnt hit an artery or bone or tendons or anything so after I realized it wasnt life threatening I grabbed a roll of paper towels and headed to the med assist and after a thorough irrigation he stitched me up and I was on my way in about an hour.
The Doctor told me that he was shocked I walked in here that most people would have passed out instantly, and I was all like hell Doc its just a scratch just stitch me up and I will be on my way, everyone was all concerned asking me if I felt ok and I was calmly answering questions LOL.
Other than feeling like an idiot I'm doing ok so in about 10 days when the stitches come out I will start on my truck again.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-05-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #36
VA72C10
VA72C10

Get better soon! Glad you're okay. Could have been worse! I've gotten "bit by a grinder a few times....the most annoying/painful to me are the wire wheels as they discintigrate and impale into your leg....they hurt a little at the time but itch like crazy as they heal...like a bunch of little paper cuts
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #37
Xeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Get better soon! Glad you're okay. Could have been worse! I've gotten "bit by a grinder a few times....the most annoying/painful to me are the wire wheels as they discintigrate and impale into your leg....they hurt a little at the time but itch like crazy as they heal...like a bunch of little paper cuts
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL oh trust me I know what the wire cup can do I was sitting cross legged removing rust from that new frame section I got 2 weekends ago and it got away from me and ran down the front of my ankle, that one hurts worse than the other one I just got.
I need to learn something from this and get some safety clothes, like maybe a heavy leather apron or something sheesh.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #38
Xeen

Something caught my eye today and it got me thinking.
I have been trying to decide between a naturally aspirated chevy 327 and a 350.
I think I will build a Twin Turbo small block instead.
So It looks like its time to start saving up some cash, and start looking for a good 4-bolt main high nickel content block to build the hell out of.
10 seconds here I come!
Old 09-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #39
VA72C10
VA72C10

Cool!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-06-2012, 04:05 AM   #40
Xeen

After talking it over with VA72C10 I'm now rethinking my idea of the Twin Turbo.
There are tons of engine and transmission options out there for me so I need to give it some serious thought considering it's an expensive decision.
Also I still need to reconcile the geometry on my Cab and figure out exactly where the mistake is that the PO made on the drivers side when he "fixed" the floor and Inner/Outter rockers.
I think the B-Pillar fit and fair slipped towards the front, I'm pretty sure its a simple cut and reweld job but I wont know for sure untill I measure.
I wont be doing anything on my truck until the first of November.

Nov 1st I will be ordering a bunch of new parts.
Tilt steering column, probably a CPP Classic Fit, here is a Link incase you want to check it out.
http://www.classicperform.com/Store2...ng-Columns.htm
A new Steering Wheel, probably Grant.
A rear mount gas tank, probably from LMC.
Some brake hose tabs so I can finish up my 1972 Disc brake conversion, here is a link incase you want to check it out.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Remova...ose,45896.html
Im going to try to source a Leather 40/20/40 Seat with electric adjustment and heating elements.
Misc. Parking brake parts to finish it up.
Replacement 1971 plastic ashtray guides if I can get them.
Defroster vents.
Various other nicknacks I will update when its all ordered.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #41
gdavis

Quote:
Yeesh I really need to shrink these pictures a bit for future updates.
going to paint my truck BURNT ORANGE METLIC and black metlic on the bottom. I sand blasted the cross member today and paint it gloss black.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #42
gdavis

Quote:
I had a "little" accident today, I was shaving the head off of a frame rivet when the edge of my 4 1/2" cutoff wheel caught a bracket and shreded and ripped the angle grinder out of my hands and it hit the ground and jumped up and the serrated edge hit the side my leg just above my knee and sliced a 3" long 3/4" deep gash, however I got rediculously lucky and it didnt hit an artery or bone or tendons or anything so after I realized it wasnt life threatening I grabbed a roll of paper towels and headed to the med assist and after a thorough irrigation he stitched me up and I was on my way in about an hour.
The Doctor told me that he was shocked I walked in here that most people would have passed out instantly, and I was all like hell Doc its just a scratch just stitch me up and I will be on my way, everyone was all concerned asking me if I felt ok and I was calmly answering questions LOL.
Other than feeling like an idiot I'm doing ok so in about 10 days when the stitches come out I will start on my truck again.
Yea, u got to be carefull with thoes tools. They have a mind of their own.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #43
gdavis

Quote:
Yeesh I really need to shrink these pictures a bit for future updates.
First, I only started 3 months ago. So I guess I will be done in the summer of 2014. I see some of your parts and now I need to buy somemore. I got in touch with Auto Zone and they have the upper and lower ball joints for 13.97 a pair and I guess I will be getting them this week. I will then be able to start putting my front end back together.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #44
gdavis

Quote:
Im doing this entire project outside so I can only work on it weather permitting.

Yesterday I fabricated some Shock mount reinforcement brackets out of some steel I had just laying around.
The plan was to save some money by fabricating my own but while I was drilling the mounting holes I killed a 3/8" drill, so inorder to finish the bracket I had to go buy buy a new drill, so I went down to Harbor Freight and bought one of their Professional Series Magnesium variable speed 1/2" drills.

Ouch there goes my "on the cheap" plan it ended up costing me the same amount of money, however on the bright side I got a nice new drill out of the deal.

Heres a pic of the brackets installed.
I like the brackets that you installed on your shocks. It gave me a idea, THANKS
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #45
gdavis

Re: Power Disc brakes

Quote:
I decided that I wanted to upgrade the brakes to Power Front Disk so I gathered the parts I needed and went to work.
It is a Hybrid retrofit between 71 and 72 parts.
I picked up some new 71' ball joints.
It turns out the spindles were donated from a 71' "Camper Special" so they are heavy half.
I also picked up 71' Steering linkages.
Im still using my 68 front cross member so I cut off the brake hose mounts and will move them to the front of the cross member when I get around to it.
I used a 72' Stainless steel brake line kit and because of that I will be replacing the frame brace behind the rear axle with a 72' version, because I dont have the tools I need to make a hexagon shaped hole and the metal shop wants $45 to make one for me so its just as cheap to replace it entirely.
I have a 1971 rear axle and the factory T-fitting mount is in the wrong place so I fabricated a bracket to attach to the rear axle housing cover like factory and installed a 71' rear hose.
I probably should have used a 72' hose but I didnt think it would make that much of a difference so I didnt worry about it.
I still have a little more work to do to button it up.

Front brake lines installed.

Rear brake lines installed.

Unfortunately the rear suspension cross member and corresponding frame mount locations are completely rotted out so both will need to be replaced soon which is why it is left unpainted.
I will also be refurbishing the rear axle while that work is being completed.
Thanks for looking.
That is the same place my frame was trashed. I bought a 1967 frame in perfit shape for 50.00 so I gave the other frame to the salvage
Old 10-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #46
gdavis

Quote:
Here are some pictures of the rolling chassis, Enjoy.

thoes bushings are popping. I ordered some of the same. how I know what they will look like on the truck.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #47
gdavis

Re: The Cab

Quote:

I bought this cab for $300 and it looked excellent.
It already had all rotted metal replaced and was real solid, however knowing appearances can be decieving (you guys know what im talking about).
I decided to break out the side angle grinder and a Polycarbonite disk and remove the primer on the cab corner and boy was I dissapointed.
The previous owner had done one of the worst cab corner replacement jobs I had ever seen on the passenger side.
Not only did he not remove all of the original rusty thinned metal there were holes all over the place.
There was also 1/4th of an inch of bondo because the brand new cab corner was caved in so instead of replacing or straightening the damaged piece he just layed mud on it.
So im going to have to replace the corner.
Sigh...
Heres a pic.

The Drivers side cab corner is just as bad, but that isnt the only problem on the drivers side.
When the rocker and corner were replaced he lost the fit and fair and it slipped towards the front so the rocker hangs off the front of the cab 1/4th of an inch.
The door wont even open or close without scraping on both sides even with the door and front fender yanked as far forward as possible.
Sigh...
So now im going to have to dismantle the entire drivers side move it back into factory fit and fair specs before I can finish up my cab.
Sorry no pictures for the drivers side right now I will add them when I start tearing into it.

/rant on

I just dont understand why in the hell people do things when they dont understand the proper way to do it.
/rant off
That was a god buy. I have that much and I am not half way yet I mean the cab.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM   #48
gdavis

Quote:

Heres the pic of the painted radiator support.

I also started on the grill today, I will finish it tommorow and get a picture up.
I have to get busy and order a radiator core support. There is a company in St. Peterburgs, Fl that has several so I will be driving down there in a few weeks. 75.00 to 150.00 is not bad.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #49
gdavis

Quote:

Today I painted the Accelerator Pedal Assembly and the Parking Brake Pedal Assembly.
Here are some pictures.

Next I will be painting the Automatic Transmission Crossmember stay tuned.
that is my Monday's job parking brake
Old 10-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #50
Xeen

I know its been a bit since I have updated.
I had to save up some more cash for the next few steps because they are slightly expensive.
There are some good things comming the first week of November, stay tuned.