The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2022, 11:29 AM   #2226
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: A '54 named Busty

by the way I love this "The Difference between Carbon Dioxide and Carbon Monoxide" non explanation, ha ha

Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is a chemical compound consisting of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms. ... Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a chemical compound which contains one carbon atom and one oxygen atom and is also a colourless and odourless gas. Unlike CO2, it is entirely human-made and is not naturally present in the atmosphere.

It's like me explaining the difference between Soccer and (American) Football. Here we go...

Soccer is a word, consisting of six letters consisting of one S and two cc. Football is a word, consisting of one F, two oo, and two ll. Unlike football, Football is entirely played with your hands.

how's that?
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:12 PM   #2227
6DoF

6DoF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:32 AM   #2228
Gregski
Post Whore

test to see if I can upload pics today

.... few moments later, I can not upload pics to this thread ....
Old 01-30-2022, 12:15 PM   #2229
Rickysnickers

Photo upload test
Attached Images

Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:16 PM   #2230
Rickysnickers

Aside from my snarky comment in the other thread Greg, I don't know what to tell you, sorry. I just grabbed this photo off the 'net and posted it to see if I could upload a photo.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:37 PM   #2231
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
Aside from my snarky comment in the other thread Greg, I don't know what to tell you, sorry. I just grabbed this photo off the 'net and posted it to see if I could upload a photo.
np, lol, and here I thought WOW is that his???? and that is not a good test because when we upload crap to the InterWebs they don't tell you this but they degrade the quality of the pictures as well as music, especially music, it's why I still buy CDs, anywho enuff complaining for one day, so when you downloaded yours it was already decreased in size type of thing
Old 01-31-2022, 10:07 PM   #2232
Gregski
Post Whore

so yanked the driver side door glass out today (would not come out as it was stuck in the vent window channel real good)

then yanked the brand new (too narrow) channel lining felt thingie, and began the wire wheel dance to clean it all up.... [AGAIN] only to notice we are all out of semi flat black paint... Super!

Fun Level: -7
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2022, 10:10 PM   #2233
Gregski
Post Whore

then got on the horn and ordered two CONTINUOUS yards of this goodness

2161 Universal Flexible Window Channel 1/2" X 7/16" - Sold by the CONTINUOUS YARD! from J & J Automotive in Rialto, California
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #2234
8man

Having some fun now...

I hope the new channel solves the issue.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:33 AM   #2235
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8man View Post
Having some fun now...

I hope the new channel solves the issue.
yup, and if this doesn't work, I'm just going Duke's Style!
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #2236
Rickysnickers

HAHAHAHAHA!! And that smoothly as well???
Old 02-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #2237
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've been laid up here at the house and I read this entire thread straight through, all 90 pages.

A couple of thoughts....

-Way back there you were buying tie rod ends and spoke of the part number. Neither you or the parts house guy could figure out why the part number contained an "L". This signifies left handed threads. Tie rod end part numbers usually end in either an L or and R. Having both threads allows for toe adjustment via the threaded adjuster sleeve between the tie rod ends. Simple enough.

-Like you, I use bare electrical connectors which I crimp and then solder and finally cover with heat shrink. You pictured yourself throwing away handfuls of those colored crimp connectors that were included in something you bought. I do not throw them away. Simply grab them with one pair of pliers and use a second pair of needle nose pliers and pull the colored plastic thing off. This leaves you with a bare connector appropriate to how we use them. Money saved. Less waste. Crimp, solder, heat shrink and carry on with life.

-You're a maniac with that angle grinder and wire brush cleaning rust off bolts and screws. An inexpensive bench grinder with a wire wheel is so much safer, waaaayyyy quieter, and you'll fling fewer bolts to the moon. You should be able to buy a bench grinder and wire wheels for way less than 100 bucks total. Then you can use your angle grinder for flinging cheek pokers like it was designed to do.

No criticism intended. Just some thoughts I had while enjoying your thread.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:16 AM   #2238
dsraven

on the crimp connector issue, I take those "insulated" connectors and push the metal part out with a small screwdriver until it is out far enough to grab with pliers, like TX firefighter does. it's the cheap guy in me, haha.
I usually just buy the uninsulated connectors and a length of double wall shrink tube that can be cut to whatever length I need. that way I can see how good the crimp is and also the wiring harness doesn't end up with a big lump in it where the connections are.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 12:08 PM   #2239
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
-Like you, I use bare electrical connectors which I crimp and then solder and finally cover with heat shrink. You pictured yourself throwing away handfuls of those colored crimp connectors that were included in something you bought. I do not throw them away. Simply grab them with one pair of pliers and use a second pair of needle nose pliers and pull the colored plastic thing off. This leaves you with a bare connector appropriate to how we use them. Money saved. Less waste. Crimp, solder, heat shrink and carry on with life.
so sorry to hear about you being laid up, hope you are on your way to recovery, my dad was a firefighter, thanks for the detailed feedback, I am going to reply to you point by point, as it is a good conversation, I too have done what you described above, the problem with doing this is that the cheap plastic covered connectors usually have a barrel joint, which you put the bare wire into and then crimp and if you are thorough like us then solder, the ones that I buy that are naked have a double clamp system, part crimps the bare wire the second clamp crimps the shielded section for extra strength to prevent wire fatigue

the pic is a bit out of focus, sorry I don't know how to make my iPhone take sharper pics at close up
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2022, 12:16 PM   #2240
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
-You're a maniac with that angle grinder and wire brush cleaning rust off bolts and screws. An inexpensive bench grinder with a wire wheel is so much safer, waaaayyyy quieter, and you'll fling fewer bolts to the moon. You should be able to buy a bench grinder and wire wheels for way less than 100 bucks total. Then you can use your angle grinder for flinging cheek pokers like it was designed to do.
is this where I tell you I own two bench grinders and though I tried them both they just can't quite articulate what I am trying to express as a death wheel artist, know what I'm sayin'

what I really need to do is stop giving away my air compressors and maybe one day hook one up to that media blast cabinet I have sitting on the side of the house, lol
Old 02-03-2022, 12:32 PM   #2241
Tx Firefighter

About 10 years ago I took one hell of an injury from an angle grinder. I was tired at the end of a long day and I allowed it to get away from me and down into my right leg. It went through the leather apron, the Wrangler jeans, and into my leg. It was so deep that the ER doc had to suture me up in two layers. One down inside and then the usual ones on the surface.

It was all my fault. I was exhausted and wasn't holding on to it well enough. I did learn a lesson though. An angle grinder with a paddle switch is safer than one with an on/off switch. You want the thing to turn off if it gets out of your hands and not keep spinning as it eats into you.

That said, I still use them when appropriate and I even still use the same one with the on/off switch that caused me the injury back then. I'm just way more wary of them. And I bought a plasma cutter to use for most cutting.

Carry on with the fine work sir. I am enjoying your thread very much.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #2242
dsraven

I too am, or just retired from firefighting . I also have the scars from those little grinder devils. Narrowly missed The femoral artery once. Gotta stop when you feel tired.
Nice crimps with those bare connectors, that requires a good crimp tool and some practice.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #2243
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I too am, or just retired from firefighting . I also have the scars from those little grinder devils. Narrowly missed The femoral artery once. Gotta stop when you feel tired.
Nice crimps with those bare connectors, that requires a good crimp tool and some practice.
thanks mate, and yup takes a while to find the right ones, this ratcheting one is pretty good
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #2244
Gregski
Post Whore

but you have to treat 'em like screw drivers and collect a bunch cause some are just to narrow some are just too wide, you git the idea

there are times where an expensive tool just sucks and can't crimp for shiez and I want to toss it across the room, and next time with some other connector it crimps beautifully, meanwhile a cheap tool crimps nice sometimes
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #2245
Tx Firefighter

That's a good kit you have there. I have basically the same one but without all of the die options that your kit includes.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:19 PM   #2246
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
That's a good kit you have there. I have basically the same one but without all of the die options that your kit includes.
yeah, honestly it seems like a good idea to have all those dies but in practicality it sucks, I rather own three of these tools each with none removable dies and different color handles, so you can just grab the one you need and not have to figure out which jaws go together at 1:00 am in the morning, ha ha
Old 02-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #2247
Gregski
Post Whore

here's one more, this one is nice (some times, ha ha)
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2022, 03:22 PM   #2248
Gregski
Post Whore

and this little guy is a must for you future LS Swappers out there, it allows you to unpin the 80 pin red/blue/green PCM connectors in a civilized manner

you're welcome
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2022, 03:27 PM   #2249
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
I've been laid up here at the house and I read this entire thread straight through, all 90 pages.
90 pages, phew... amateur, ha ha check out my other thread Restoring Rusty
Old 02-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #2250
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
90 pages, phew... amateur, ha ha check out my other thread Restoring Rusty
I'm currently 32 pages into it. We are knee deep in a rear main seal and clutch job at this point. It's a page tuner for reals.

This thread did distract me for a bit as I went and learned about Iron Maiden some. Rabbit hole....