The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2021, 10:40 PM   #26
body bolt

Re: Strange SPID ?

Correct, I never have. My buddy told me he slept next to the catapult. I don't know if he's pulling my leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
You've obviously never heard the cats screeching on a carrier. I don't know what's worse, the cats screeching, or the jets landing and catching the arrest cable and going to full afterburner just in case they didn't. Can't have a fighter aircraft falling off the end of the ship, sploosh. I worked in the engine room, and in spite of all that noise I was able to sleep. Fatigue works wonders. I could sleep at the drop of a hat in those days, as one never gets enough sleep in some jobs, of which mine was one.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:47 AM   #27
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
With 454s in the Navy trucks they'd launch those aviators right off the flight deck.
And keep on going into the drink with '67 - '68 manual drum brakes?
Maybe not.
Shipboard vehicles have to be diesel. MoGas [Regular] vaporizes in contact with seawater, and greates a flammable gas that stays on the surface. Diesel just floats. There are special ground support deck vehicles that move the ordnance; pump fuel; spot the planes; crash crew Fire rig; Elec Cart --charge DC and maintain AC; all swarming around on a carrier deck.

Maybe with disc brakes... And a big net on the bow, and a bunji/steel cable ''lanyard'' around the back bumper to reel the truck in and reset it on the deck for the next launch...

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 06-23-2021 at 06:58 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #28
A1971Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I bet it was a 6cyl/3spd originally.
The VIN starts with "CS" so yes it was a 6 cyl truck..
I would think that the government would likely get the cheapest base model?
I received a notification that the price was dropped to $4K....and the listing is gone?
1972 Chevrolet K/5 Blazer
A1971Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #29
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
Correct, I never have. My buddy told me he slept next to the catapult. I don't know if he's pulling my leg.
He's pulling your leg. The flight deck is an extremely hazardous place, and the Safety Officer would be all over his butt for doing something like that.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:46 PM   #30
body bolt

He meant his bunk was underneath the deck by the catapult, not sleeping on the flight deck.

Quote:
He's pulling your leg. The flight deck is an extremely hazardous place, and the Safety Officer would be all over his butt for doing something like that.
Old 06-23-2021, 06:07 PM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Air Force had some with 454s so they could jet them pilots out to the flight line in a scramble.
Navy* models were the 250/3-on-the-tree.
[*And Tactically-Acquired CUCVs in the Marine Motor Pool.]
I was offering a reason the 350 and automatic, or any other engine/trans, not showing on the SPID. The Air Force had 454s in some '67 C10s?

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:29 PM   #32
body bolt

They were going to use them to get to the moon before NASA. Well, we know what happened in 1969 so the Air Force sold the design to GM. I read that somewhere or made it up.

Quote:
I was offering a reason the 350 and automatic, or any other engine/trans, not showing on the SPID. The Air Force had 454s in some '67 C10s?
Old 06-23-2021, 06:49 PM   #33
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Not '67. No 454s existed in MY 1967. A mechanic at a brake & tire shop I used to frequent -- he got to be my ''regular'' -- was a USAF motor pool veteran.
He told me a school bus they had for ferrying the pilots from the Ready Room to the Flight Line had a 454. He was a driver one day, and caused a backfire when double-clutching that cracked the exhaust manifolds. Being Gov't Property, they took the cost of new GM exhaust manifolds out of his paycheck for a few months. *
As far as CUCVs, maybe the Army and Air Force might have gone with [327] 350/350 set ups? IDK. The Navy Dept believed cheapness counts so 250/3OTT was the rule.
*[Could be a Sea Story. What's the difference between a Sea Story and a Fairy Tale? Fairy Tales start out with ''...Once upon a time..." Sea Stories begin: "Thus is a true story, No $hit..."]
I think the U-2 program had an El Camino with a 454 for running down the runway alongside the plane on landings. Driver radioed ground speeds to the pilot who couldn't see much runway due to the long nose.
'68 C/10 Stepside w/396 for a FOLLOW ME truck? Yeah, sure... True story, no $hit...

Old 06-23-2021, 07:39 PM   #34
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
He meant his bunk was underneath the deck by the catapult, not sleeping on the flight deck.
OK< THAT I can believe, because the airdales pulled 12 hour shifts on the flight deck, and after 12 hours of that kind of work, they ought to be able to sleep, easily.

Quote:
Not '67. No 454s existed in MY 1967. A mechanic at a brake & tire shop I used to frequent -- he got to be my ''regular'' -- was a USAF motor pool veteran.
He told me a school bus they had for ferrying the pilots from the Ready Room to the Flight Line had a 454. He was a driver one day, and caused a backfire when double-clutching that cracked the exhaust manifolds. Being Gov't Property, they took the cost of new GM exhaust manifolds out of his paycheck for a few months. *
As far as CUCVs, maybe the Army and Air Force might have gone with [327] 350/350 set ups? IDK. The Navy Dept believed cheapness counts so 250/3OTT was the rule.
*[Could be a Sea Story. What's the difference between a Sea Story and a Fairy Tale? Fairy Tales start out with ''...Once upon a time..." Sea Stories begin: "Thus is a true story, No $hit..."]
I think the U-2 program had an El Camino with a 454 for running down the runway alongside the plane on landings. Driver radioed ground speeds to the pilot who couldn't see much runway due to the long nose.
'68 C/10 Stepside w/396 for a FOLLOW ME truck? Yeah, sure... True story, no $hit...
It was a Z-28 Camaro, as 454s did not exist. Of course, the Z-28 didn't exist in 1955 at U2 program inception, either.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #35
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
OK< THAT I can believe, because the airdales pulled 12 hour shifts on the flight deck, and after 12 hours of that kind of work, they ought to be able to sleep, easily.

It was a Z-28 Camaro, as 454s did not exist. Of course, the Z-28 didn't exist in 1955 at U2 program inception, either.
So what would it have been? A '55 3100 stepside w/ 409?

Old 06-24-2021, 12:29 AM   #36
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnabbitt View Post
Probably the original color... extremely cool truck, I wonder if anyone restores them specifically back to their armed forces glory, that would be neat.
Looks like the truck in the picture belonged to the 553rd. Recon Wing:

https://www.westin553.net/batcat00.htm

I agree, would be neat to see an armed services C10 restored to service condition.
Old 06-24-2021, 04:20 AM   #37
Grumpy old man

There was a dark blue 68 truck like this that used to drive around St Petersburg fl in the 1980's that belonged to a barber shop . it was in the news when the owner was charged with impersonating a military vehicle , He painted a very small h on the door in front of the AIR FORCE the name of his barber shop was ( HAIR FORCE ) The local retired military men didn't like it

They may not of liked it because he wasn't a barber he was a STYLIST in the days of BIG hair .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 06-24-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:19 AM   #38
'68OrangeSunshine

In 1974, I got a military license to drive CUCVs at Cherry Point North Carolina. They were using '67 C/10s and C/1500s. Most were Marine Forest Green with yellow lettering on the doors, except for one in Navy grey/ [Wonder how that got there?]
Anyway -- I'd already owned my orange '68 C/10 Stepside w/292/SM465 for a couple years, so I was familiar with the type -- I went on a checkride with a Cpl from Motor Pool. CUCV was C/10 w/250/3OTT. As I was casually downshifting [3 to 2] thru a turn, uprevving to match the spot RPMs would be in 2nd at that speed, the Corporal starts screaming: ''Don't be hotrodding my F@%$ing truck!'' If he thought that was hotrodding, he should've been along on some other escapades.
So I got the license, and on the back was stamped SOUND HORN WHEN BACKING.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:37 AM   #39
body bolt

That's probably what his dad or granddaddy yelled at him.

Quote:
In 1974, I got a military license to drive CUCVs at Cherry Point North Carolina. They were using '67 C/10s and C/1500s. Most were Marine Forest Green with yellow lettering on the doors, except for one in Navy grey/ [Wonder how that got there?]
Anyway -- I'd already owned my orange '68 C/10 Stepside w/292/SM465 for a couple years, so I was familiar with the type -- I went on a checkride with a Cpl from Motor Pool. CUCV was C/10 w/250/3OTT. As I was casually downshifting [3 to 2] thru a turn, uprevving to match the spot RPMs would be in 2nd at that speed, the Corporal starts screaming: ''Don't be hotrodding my F@%$ing truck!'' If he thought that was hotrodding, he should've been along on some other escapades.
So I got the license, and on the back was stamped SOUND HORN WHEN BACKING.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #40
Keith Seymore

Quote:
…..

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/...C92-04152.html
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #41
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post

Keith, any idea why a spid would be printed up with all that?
The SPID, build manifest and build sheet are all generated from the same database.

You would need to include that content on the build sheet to make sure the vehicle is built correctly down the line, so the SPID just follows suit.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #42
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Cool! Ponchos in Space...