The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2023, 11:33 AM   #26
mm1077

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottofksu View Post
You might consider a complete swap of your rear end to one with 3.73 gears and posi, if you don't have posi already... A little patience and some good luck and you should be able to find what you want for significantly less than $1,500. You will definitely want to find something that will be "bolt in" so you don't waste any savings in fabrication and hassle.
I actually just dropped it off yesterday at the axle shop. Going w 3.73 posi. They quoted about 1100-1200 for everything. I decided I’d rather know that I’ll be happy with the fun factor of driving it and compromise on the higher freeway rpm’s than to possibly be disappointed with the fun factor and be a little more ok with the freeway driving. I could always change my wheels to bring it down a little or just save up for an od if it bothers me that much : )
Posted via Mobile Device
mm1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 02:41 PM   #27
Accelo

Re: Cam Installed, what’s next?

If your cam moves the power band up some and is seems it has you will be thrilled with the new gears. A whole new fun factory.

I typically tell people to do 3.73 or 3.55's depending on the transmission. You made the right choices based on the information you shared.
Let us know how you like it.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:59 AM   #28
mm1077

Update: got the truck back last week and did some tuning on it. Very happy with the 3.73s- I don’t think I would’ve been ‘totally’ happy with the 3.42 (maybe but I’m pretty darn happy with the 3.73). I’ve already got sound deadener, dynamat, etc installed in most of the truck so I think that helps tone down the rpm’s a little (still need to do the doors). I plan on switching over to a clutch fan too.
I’m running about 15 degrees initial timing ((25/26 w full manifold vacuum adv connected)- I didn’t check total timing but should be in the 35/36 range mech adv w the msd streetfire ignition. I put both heavy springs in which says in the instructions that it should add only 18 degrees max so I might be running less total timing (I still plan to check because I’ve read that their instructions are incorrect in this regard).
Posted via Mobile Device
mm1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #29
Accelo

Glad it worked out to your liking. (:

Many don't consider the gearing, they just build the motor.
Without the comprehensive plan it doesn't work out as well/fast as it could.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:06 PM   #30
AcampoDave

Cool. You could probably spin figure 8's on dry asphalt now.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:04 PM   #31
scottofksu

Thanks for coming back with "the rest of the story"! It was only after getting into Jeeps that I realized the criticality of final drive gears. Generally I find that the gears you "think you will be happy with" are one size below what you would probably love. Given your configuration, I think you made a great decision, for whatever that is worth!