The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Pertronix modules

How long do they typically last.

In the burger drive through today my 3 year old module went out.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #2
Rick Bollinger

Re: Pertronix modules

I have used several over the years on VW's and on a international scout. As long as your getting full 12+ volts to it and have a non resister coil that matches it will last for years. On a C10 I am assuming did you remove the resistor wire? And no ballast coil? The Flame Thrower series 1,2&3 all require different coils to match the module. I have always ordered the matching coil at the same time as the module with no trouble. Oh and a good ground on the distributor is also very important.
Rick Bollinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:15 PM   #3
TATE228

I had one on an old wood chipper. The only trouble I had was, the crew left the key on for a few hours and it somehow killed the module. I was worth it to me because i was tired of messing with points.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:36 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

Three years is premature.
I got about 7 years out of an Ignitor II/Flamethrower II [coil] set in my '68 C/10 Stepside w/292 L6. My ignition would start OK and run around town OK, but when I got on the freeway and got over 3000 RPM it would cut out completely -- leaving me dry-milling at highway speeds until I kicked in the Clutch. Switching the key OFF/ON and pop-starting at ~55 would get the motor running again, but that usually p!ssed off the driver behind me on the road.
The Ignitor II was supposed to radically increase the coil output at 3000 -- not kill itself.

[Also the Ignitor II would simply shut itself off if the key was left in the ON position, unlike the Ignitor [I]. A friend bought an Ignitor III for his '72 F250 w/427 V8 -- the Tach would not work. The IIIs produce a multiple spark discharge. The Pertronix tech reps told him to get an Ignitor II.]

Could have been the extremes of heat experienced here in Southern AZ, or spike voltages from an old school external Voltage Regulator. I'll never know.
After calling Pertronix tech reps, and sending the module in for inspection as requested -- I heard nothing more.
I switched back to points and ran my 292 that way for a year, until I had collected components necessary for a GM L6 HEI w/Remote Coil.
Now, if a Module burns out, I get a good one from my glovebox, switch it out, and continue on my run. Usually. One time it was the fuel pump, and I ''fixed'' the wrong thing.
Pertronix work OK when new. They have terrible customer support. If your device fails -- get a new one -- is their attitude. For that reason they are a niche market item, for guys who want to preserve the vintage ''look'' under the hood. For reliability, get a GM HEI -- and keep a spare Module [and the White anti-heat paste] in your glovebox.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 05-27-2023 at 11:15 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 01:01 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Three years is premature.
I got about 7 years out of an Ignitor II/Flamethrower II [coil] set in my '68 C/10 Stepside w/292 L6. My ignition would start OK and run around town OK, but when I got on the freeway and got over 3000 RPM it would cut out completely -- leaving me dry-milling at highway speeds until I kicked in the Clutch. Switching the key OFF/ON and pop-starting at ~55 would get the motor running agsin, but that usually p!ssed off the driver behind me on the road.
The Ignitor II was supposed to radically increase the coil output at 3000 -- not kill itself.

[Also the Ignitor II would simply shut itself off if the key was left in the ON position, unlike the Ignitor [I]. A friend bought an Ignitor III for his '72 F250 w/427 V8 -- the Tach would not work. The IIIs produce a multiple spark discharge. The Pertronix tech reps told him to get an Ignitor II.]

Could have been the extremes of heat experienced here in Southern AZ, or spike voltages from an old school external Voltage Regulator. I'll never know.
After calling Pertronix tech reps, and sending the module in for inspection as requested -- I heard nothing more.
I switched back to points and ran my 292 that way for a year, until I had collected components necessary for a GM L6 HEI w/Remote Coil.
Now, if a Module burns out, I get a good one from my glovebox, switch it out, and continue on my run. Usually. One time it was the fuel pump, and I ''fixed'' the wrong thing.
Pertronix work OK when new. They have terrible customer support. If your device fails -- get a new one -- is their attitude. For that reason they are a niche market item, for guys who want to preserve the vintage ''look'' under the hood. For reliability, get a GM HEI -- and keep a spare Module [and the White anti-heat paste] in your glovebox.
I am converting to fuel injection soon if the truck doesn't sell. Which will give me coil on plug so I won't need the distributor.

If I had it to do over i would of just bought the HEI I wanted in the first place.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:10 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Unfortunately it depends on which version you have. The basic spark only module is pretty bullet proof and should last as long as a GM HEI module. After the success of the first module the owner and engineer of Pertronix sold the company and the new owner(s) quickly decided they needed a larger product line and new modules were developed along with other products. The additional products were developed with an eye on increased profitably and not much focus on quantity and longevity.
Typical story.

Have a old friend who had installed several hundred Pertronix units over the last 20 plus years and has only seen one failure of a basic unit but had dozens of other modules fail sometimes in under an hour.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 11:13 PM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

HO455 -- So that's the Ignitor I that's bulletproof -- [unless you leave the key ON] ?

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote