The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2022, 02:29 PM   #51
LT7A

Re: 1939 Chrysler

I'm glad I came over to alternate tinkerings to take a look at this. It will be quite something to drive when you're done. I wish we could see the expression on the face of somebody who built one of these originally in the factory. If they saw the meticulous work you are doing and realized that you valued this vehicle enough to bend and install all of your own parts, I think they would be shocked. Not to mention what they would think if they got a ride with that modern engine and transmission. I'm really enjoying your methodical metal work. Is the flat disc what gives it that final finish?
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #52
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
I'm glad I came over to alternate tinkerings to take a look at this. It will be quite something to drive when you're done. I wish we could see the expression on the face of somebody who built one of these originally in the factory. If they saw the meticulous work you are doing and realized that you valued this vehicle enough to bend and install all of your own parts, I think they would be shocked. Not to mention what they would think if they got a ride with that modern engine and transmission. I'm really enjoying your methodical metal work. Is the flat disc what gives it that final finish?
thanks,i feel guilty,the poor old Chrysler is getting no love at all,the truck is hogging it all?oh well,almost done the truck and then get back to this old girl.the floor that i wanted done,isn't but that's where i'll be going when i get back to it.i use those flapper wheels.they seem to be "soft" but will still take material off so you have to go easy but a not so aggressive grit and take your time,it'll make a nice finish.i do think often about what the old timers who built this would think if they saw it today?as a friend of mine used to say"they wouldn't know how to act" i think about my old Grandfather,born in 1900,died in 1969.there was no electricity where and when he was born,horses and wagons and before he died,there was a man on the moon?just imagine?anyway take care,i promised my father-in-law a drive in this car so i'd better get back to it soon.all the best.Greg.
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:25 AM   #53
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice work sir! It was a good idea putting the body back on the frame to do your patching. I wasn't going to on my 40 but it was a good thing I did. It didn't want to go back in the same place it rested for 70 years. I had a heck of a time getting the doors to open and shut again. Then again, I replaced the firewall and on the fords the toe boards are wood so that could have been part of it. I hope you can give that ride! My Aunt wanted a ride in the 40 before she passed away but unfortunately she passed away and it didn't happen. My wife is going on a trip during spring break so I think I will bring the 40 home and hit it for a good week and see how close I can get it.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 10:56 AM   #54
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice work sir! It was a good idea putting the body back on the frame to do your patching. I wasn't going to on my 40 but it was a good thing I did. It didn't want to go back in the same place it rested for 70 years. I had a heck of a time getting the doors to open and shut again. Then again, I replaced the firewall and on the fords the toe boards are wood so that could have been part of it. I hope you can give that ride! My Aunt wanted a ride in the 40 before she passed away but unfortunately she passed away and it didn't happen. My wife is going on a trip during spring break so I think I will bring the 40 home and hit it for a good week and see how close I can get it.
thanks Ryan.i hope to get back to this old girl soon,the truck is almost done.i was lucky,the floor in this car was rotten but all the door closed real nice,hope i can keep it that way.there is no wood in these cars so it must've stayed fairly straight?there will be more pictures once i get back to it.you'll make some progress on yours when you can.it'll all work out.take care.Greg
Old 03-04-2023, 05:38 PM   #55
mr.mud1

well after a year or more,on the back burner,the old 39 Chrysler is getting some tlc.my truck that has been going back together in the thread called 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together, is back together,does run and just waiting on some spring weather to get back out and be driven.when i left the Chrysler,i had just put the body back on the frame for some repairs and start on a new floor.i didn't remember how bad the floor really was up front but the first section at the base of the firewall was not too bad,only a few rusty places on either end,so i repaired the original section and will re-use it.the next section back over the transmission was very good in the center but rotten on the left and right sides,so i re-cycled the center hump and made new sides.now i'll work back from there on the next section and so on right out to the tail of the car but there's nothing now to save i don't think.it all looks pretty rotten.here's a few pictures of the work started this week.more progress to come next week.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2023, 06:45 PM   #56
mr.mud1

well a little update.i'm officially done with my 72 Cheyenne Super truck that butt in line ahead of the old Chrysler.i was about 2 years on the Chevy truck and got into a lot more work than i planned on,but it looks good,runs good,i'm very happy with it but now back to the car.i built a metal workers table,i call it to help with the floor and now that's done.it gives me a 48 inch brake,a pipe vice,a place for my bead roller and shear.today i spent a bunch of time on the first couple of floor sections getting them to fit better,then i made the first piece over the "X" in the middle of the frame.it's not in there for keeps,just clamped in place but tomorrow,we'll make some more.more pictures to follow.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2024, 08:33 PM   #57
mr.mud1

a little more progress over the last couple of days with regards to my floor making adventure in this old car.i am quickly realizing a new bead roller with a longer throat and a motor is going to be in my future,it's too awkward feeding metal through the dies,trying to follow lines with one hand while the other hand turns the wheel to drive it?a fella needs another arm?
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2024, 04:40 AM   #58
LT7A

That floor is coming together nicely. Great progress. Even if I had the skill to do what you're doing I don't know that I would have the patience. It's cool to see the car from different angles, it's going to look really good when it's back on the road.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:58 AM   #59
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
That floor is coming together nicely. Great progress. Even if I had the skill to do what you're doing I don't know that I would have the patience. It's cool to see the car from different angles, it's going to look really good when it's back on the road.
thank you sir.i will have some pictures later today or tomorrow with some more progress.i don't know much skill is involved??stubborn as a mule so i keep going?5 minutes with the computer not working correctly and i'm ready to smash into 7 million pieces but an old car or truck is different?take care,hope all is good on the west coast.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:48 PM   #60
mr.mud1

a little more progress on the floor.it's slow going,every panel takes a pile of thinking.i don't have much to think with so it takes me twice as long??i'll get there.waiting on a new bead roller i ordered for the next panels that are too big for my little baby bead roller to reach the middle,that and ordered more clecos tonight.i'm trying to have the complete floor made before i start welding it in for good,just in case i make to make changes?we'll get there.
Attached Images