The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2022, 06:20 PM   #126
pjmoreland

Re: Interest in Dummy Gas Cap Filler Neck?

Received parts from the machine shop today.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:51 PM   #127
MDFarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
More than 10 people have expressed interest, but I'll put everyone on the list anyways. I will make more if the first 10 sell quickly.
If you think you will be making a second batch you can put me at end of list and let someone who needs one right away take my spot. My project is a few months out yet. If you don't think you will than I better stay at the top of the list.
MDFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:53 PM   #128
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFarms View Post
If you think you will be making a second batch you can put me at end of list and let someone who needs one right away take my spot. My project is a few months out yet. If you don't think you will than I better stay at the top of the list.
I'd say that's a bit of a gamble on your part. I will only be making more of these if they sell quickly.
Old 01-24-2022, 10:26 PM   #129
jollymon02

I'm interested, as well. Add me to the list.
jollymon02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:30 PM   #130
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymon02 View Post
I'm interested, as well. Add me to the list.
Will do. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2022, 11:34 PM   #131
MDFarms

Quote:
I'd say that's a bit of a gamble on your part. I will only be making more of these if they sell quickly.
Well, you let me know, was just trying to be helpful but definitely take one in first batch if your on fence about a second run. Looks like you could make at least 20 and be fine.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:37 PM   #132
pjmoreland

Quote:
Well, you let me know, was just trying to be helpful but definitely take one in first batch if your on fence about a second run. Looks like you could make at least 20 and be fine.
Thank you for the gesture. Let's see how it goes, but I think you are right about the 20.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:59 PM   #133
jollymon02

Quote:
Will do. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2022, 10:09 PM   #134
D.B

PJMoreland, just so I am clear on what I will be getting. The one you are making is pictured in post #91 with the thin spacer, right. Or is it the original design in post #1. The other question I have is the rubber grommet. Will it fit the 72 hole and will it have the same outside diameter. Just want to make sure it covers the paint when the old come off.
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:45 AM   #135
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B View Post
PJMoreland, just so I am clear on what I will be getting. The one you are making is pictured in post #91 with the thin spacer, right. Or is it the original design in post #1. The other question I have is the rubber grommet. Will it fit the 72 hole and will it have the same outside diameter. Just want to make sure it covers the paint when the old come off.
Thank you for bringing this up. It made me realize I haven't been super clear on the direction I'm going. I tried out that one external spacer, but it was way too long. To get the stock look, the spacer would need to be about 1/8" long. This is only a slight difference from the low profile version, and making a 1/8" spacer would be tricky, so I decided to go without the spacer. Also, several people have requested the flush version. I don't want to make multiple versions.

Regarding the grommet, you will need to use the one I will include with the kit. It will fit the cab hole on all 67-72 trucks. You will not be able to use your 72 grommet. I'm not sure how this setup will fit on original or other brands of grommets, so I recommend using the supplied grommet. Hopefully it will cover up any existing paint lines, but I don't know for sure if this will be the case.

This design will support the use of an AC power outlet (Journeyman Pro HJP-5279) although this will require the buyer to remove the pop-out plug in the clamp plate. This will likely require drilling. I'm hoping people will be willing to tackle that on their own, but I would be willing to make the modification for a small fee, if anyone wants me to do that. The thin metal bridges to the plug will likely need to be drilled out. The last photo below shows what the AC power outlet would look like (not included).
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2022, 03:03 AM   #136
pjmoreland

Second post of the night. I welded the parts together this evening. I will be stripping and painting with two-part epoxy primer and paint.
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2022, 03:45 AM   #137
Fraud

If there is a wait-list for one of these please add me!
Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:49 AM   #138
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
If there is a wait-list for one of these please add me!
Will do. Thank you.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:37 AM   #139
jollymon02

Quote:
Thank you for bringing this up. It made me realize I haven't been super clear on the direction I'm going. I tried out that one external spacer, but it was way too long. To get the stock look, the spacer would need to be about 1/8" long. This is only a slight difference from the low profile version, and making a 1/8" spacer would be tricky, so I decided to go without the spacer. Also, several people have requested the flush version. I don't want to make multiple versions.

Regarding the grommet, you will need to use the one I will include with the kit. It will fit the cab hole on all 67-72 trucks. You will not be able to use your 72 grommet. I'm not sure how this setup will fit on original or other brands of grommets, so I recommend using the supplied grommet. Hopefully it will cover up any existing paint lines, but I don't know for sure if this will be the case.

This design will support the use of an AC power outlet (Journeyman Pro HJP-5279) although this will require the buyer to remove the pop-out plug in the clamp plate. This will likely require drilling. I'm hoping people will be willing to tackle that on their own, but I would be willing to make the modification for a small fee, if anyone wants me to do that. The thin metal bridges to the plug will likely need to be drilled out. The last photo below shows what the AC power outlet would look like (not included).
Thanks for the write-up/detail. Will you confirm the cost you are considering. I won't consider it final, but a ballpark would be nice.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:50 AM   #140
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymon02 View Post
Thanks for the write-up/detail. Will you confirm the cost you are considering. I won't consider it final, but a ballpark would be nice.
I had said $120 originally, and then it was suggested I include a grommet, which I am going to do, so I will need to increase the price to $135 to cover the grommet.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:05 AM   #141
pjmoreland

I finished fabricating the dummy filler necks this evening. I will be painting them tomorrow. I had an extra filler neck, so I cut out material by hand to make an 11th one.

I did a trial installation of one, and it fit the way I was hoping it would. Here are some photos.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2022, 03:07 AM   #142
pjmoreland

Continued from above. More photos.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2022, 07:26 AM   #143
MDFarms

Quote:
Continued from above. More photos.
Looks great! I'm ready whenever you are! Please pm me you address, I'm sick of giving PP their fees.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #144
cj847

I am curious, is there anything to keep it from being pushed into the cab (other than the cap)?
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 10:19 AM   #145
D.B

They look great and I can't wait to get one installed on my 72. Will you be painting the inside black as well. I am ready to get one on the way so pm me your address. Thanks
D.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:53 AM   #146
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
I am curious, is there anything to keep it from being pushed into the cab (other than the cap)?
The outer end of the filler neck is larger in diameter and has a lip on it that bumps against the grommet on the outside. If you were to shove inward really hard on the filler neck you could probably get it to pop out of the grommet, but it is reasonably secure. I have pushed firmly on it, and it didn't move.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #147
pjmoreland

Quote:
Looks great! I'm ready whenever you are! Please pm me you address, I'm sick of giving PP their fees.
Will do once I create a for sale ad and I figure out shipping cost. I'm hoping it will fit in a small fixed rate USPS box.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:58 AM   #148
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.B View Post
They look great and I can't wait to get one installed on my 72. Will you be painting the inside black as well. I am ready to get one on the way so pm me your address. Thanks
I will be painting both pieces black. I will do my best to paint the inside as well, although there may be some hidden areas where the paint won't reach.
Old 01-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #149
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Looks really nice on your truck!
Old 01-29-2022, 12:16 PM   #150
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Looks really nice on your truck!
Thanks! I want one of these new ones for my truck, but I'll probably just stick with my old prototype for now.