The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #1
dzbowtie

head light relay question

hey guys, the other morning i went out to the truck and the headlights would not turn on. i put a LMC relay kit on it about a yr and half ago. over that time, i have had the lights go out before and ive shaken the relays and they have come back on. i traced the power from the cab switch all the way to the relays. i removed the harness from the relays and jumped the power, which the lights turned on, both high and low when tested with the jumper wire. is there any way to test the relays, or do i just need to buy new ones. also, is there a specific 4 prong relay i need from a parts store or are they pretty universal? the LMC one are like $4. it says 30A/12vdc. thanks guys for any help you may have.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
gmachinz
Account Suspended

Re: head light relay question

The relays more than likely are offshore built and have inferior internals compared to US or similar made relays. They are universal be design but not in build quality. The relays I prefer are TYCO manufactured in Portugal and are rated @ 250,000 switching cycles. PM me if you need a quality style relay.....you more than likely will never have to replace them again-but, you can shop around online and find reputable ones also...Bueller was a good option but now I've noticed they are manufactured in China now....so beware.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote