The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Ratpick

A little bench-racing/help with plans

Ok, I know some you guys love this- "you should do..." But really I would like to hear a little advice before I get too far into my truck. It's a 67 C10 longbed. Im going after the hot rod/70s style lowrider I've always wanted. I'm about to dig in and start some work, so far what I have parts for is: front disc, 12bolt with 3.73 and posi(5lug), rear air bags and power steering. Also have a 700r4 and the 350 will get a mild carb/cam/intake/headers upgrade.
So here's some of my questions- what about trying to move engine mounting back to other holes? I'm going after a truck that will handle so any weight transfer will help, but is it worth it or too much trouble? I'm also planning on some mild frame bracing- some boxing and X-ing. I've been scouring previous threads about that. I want it stiff so some new sway bars will work even better. I would love to swap a T56 but that will have to wait til I have more money someday. Though I am planning a rack-n-pinion instead of the slop box and flop arm setup it uses now.
Ok shoot...
Attached Images

Ratpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: A little bench-racing/help with plans

Since this is the racing forum. what type of racing and how much racing are you planning on doing?
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Ratpick

Some autocross will be in its future. Probably scca rally cross as well, since I grew up learning to drift in the dirt. But mostly a street truck and don't plan on getting too serious since I'm not that rich.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I yanked half of what you want out of a 72, so I suggest you might do the same. If you wanna lose weight, brace the frame, and get RnP steering, the NoLimit or Porterbuilt front members might interest you.

Past that, we need more info. I'd say that a convertor might be a good idea if your sticking with the auto, at least to help with keeping you in the power and "Feeling" fast.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Ratpick

I remember what I wanted to ask about- the rear axle. Should it be converted to the ford-style press on bearings? I've heard the c-clip eliminator kits are kinda a cheap fix just to get by and not good for a street vehicle. I've never actually set up a GM axle for hard cornering.