The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #1
Rac65

Fuel problems

I have a 85 305 in my 65 Chevy. I have had issues with fuel pumps the last few years. I put a clear inline filter on it and with the engine running it only has a small amount of gas in it . Should the pump keep the filter full? I have considered using an electric pump. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks.....R C.
Rac65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:12 PM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Fuel problems

I've not seen a full clear fuel filter in the past.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #3
AcampoDave

Me neither, usually half full. Remember that any pinholes on the suction side of the line will allow air bubbles to enter the fuel stream. Since those leaks don't get pressure they are harder to spot. Also, the pick up tubee in the tank has a screen on it. I have had a nasty one restrict the fuel draw of the pump enough to starve the motor before. As for an electric pump....I'd prefer a good solid mechanical set up.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:34 PM   #4
Rac65

Thanks for the replies. When it is running at idle there is a very small amount of gas in the filter. I was talking to a friend at work today and he also said it could be a problem with the suction line. I checked the screen in the tank and it was ok. I'll try to check the line this weekend. At highway speeds it sometimes acts like it is running out of gas but when I slow down it is fine. I would like to stay with the mechanical pump if I can.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:36 PM   #5
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I had a '66 Le Mans with a 400 (not original) Ram Air III that had one of those glass filters that never seemed to be full of gas. It turned mid-13s in the quarter mile though, so I quit worrying about the glass not being full. I'd recommend going through the fuel system and eliminating potential problems like pinhole leaks and clogged socks, just to cover all the bases, though.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
ACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
I had a '66 Le Mans with a 400 (not original) Ram Air III that had one of those glass filters that never seemed to be full of gas. It turned mid-13s in the quarter mile though, so I quit worrying about the glass not being full. I'd recommend going through the fuel system and eliminating potential problems like pinhole leaks and clogged socks, just to cover all the bases, though.
I have a glass filter on the 4.1L, installed it years ago. At first I was concerned that it wasn't full when at idle, but it's never given me problems in all the time it's been on the truck, so it was written off as a non-issue a long time ago.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
Grounded63

Have you checked or rebuilt the carb lately. Incorrect float levels, or a piece "trash" blocking/clogging a main jet.

If your truck runs hot, it could be a minor vapor lock issue.

Once the filter element gets saturated with fuel, it may be trapping some air. Try back filling/purging the filter or carb line.
Grounded63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
SkinnyG

My '77 C10 got all new lines, tanks, pump, filters, the works, when I put it all together years ago. I went through three brand new Carter mechanical pumps, and the filter always seems marginal, but I also was starving the carb of fuel in traffic - it just wasn't getting fuel.

I re-routed lines, I put heat-wrap on the fuel lines around the motor and headers, I put the filter after the pump instead of before, but nothing improved it - except switching to an electric pump which has been the best thing ever. I am running an AC Delco EP12S.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
Rac65

SkinnyG, did your take the mechanical pump off or or leave it on?
Old 05-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #10
SkinnyG

I took it off, and removed the rod as well. I purchased a cheap chrome blanking plate for the block.

It's also easy to wire a switch to disable the pump for parking in shady areas. Thief can drive as far as a float bowl will allow.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #11
Rac65

The ability to switch off the pump is something I like. I have a hidden switch on the hot wire for the distributor already. Another theft deterrent is always a good idea. I didn't get time to work on it this weekend, life keeps getting in the way.