The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2016, 01:11 AM   #1
A70C104u

Question AAW kit installed / Lights Problems

Hello from So Cal!

I bout a AAW classic update kit for my 70 c10 and just finished installing it. Followed all instructions and took my time. Now I'm having some weird things going on with the lights. Funny thing is that the all lights worked fine with old wiring harness. I've been searching on the forums and troubleshooting and now feeling a bit lost. Any ideas or suggestions greatly welcomed.

1. Plug battery in and both rear tail lights come on and drivers side front parking lights turn on.
2. When I turn left turn signal the lights blink and windshield wipers also begin moving. They don't operate fully just slightly move.
3. When I click right turn signal on nothing happens.
4. When I turn lights to on both rear lights turn off.
5. Dome light inside doesn't work at all.

Sigh any ideas? LoL
A70C104u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Kennuck

Re: AAW kit installed / Lights Problems

I had the same problem as you with 1. 3. 4. 5. the headlight switch was defective. It was on in the off position and off in the on position. I called AAW and they sent me out a new headlight switch and that fixed it up. Great customer service from AAW.

The windshield wiper problem sounds like a ground issue to me make sure all your grounds are in place and making good contact.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #3
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennuck View Post
I had the same problem as you with 1. 3. 4. 5. the headlight switch was defective. It was on in the off position and off in the on position. I called AAW and they sent me out a new headlight switch and that fixed it up. Great customer service from AAW.

The windshield wiper problem sounds like a ground issue to me make sure all your grounds are in place and making good contact.
Grounds, grounds, grounds. Make sure you have put on all your ground straps, if not you'll have some crazy things going on.
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Kennuck

Grounds can do some funny things for sure. However in my case the headlight switch was a real issue confirmed by bench testing with an ohm meter. After I received my new switch I disassembled the defective one and found the contacts bent and out of place causing the problem, likely occurred during assembly at the factory.
Check your headlight switch with an ohm meter for continuity between the main power supply and the power out to your park lights it should not have continuity when in the off position.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennuck View Post
Grounds can do some funny things for sure. However in my case the headlight switch was a real issue confirmed by bench testing with an ohm meter. After I received my new switch I disassembled the defective one and found the contacts bent and out of place causing the problem, likely occurred during assembly at the factory.
Check your headlight switch with an ohm meter for continuity between the main power supply and the power out to your park lights it should not have continuity when in the off position.
Kennuck, I never meant to say the grounding was the main problem as in your headlight switch. I just remembered when I rewired my truck I didn't have all my ground straps made up and installed yet, I got a little trigger happy and wanted to start checking to see some of the electrical items working. When I introduced power, I could rock the cab back and forth and the dome light came on, the instrument panel would light up up, and I had one bright headlight and one dim one. After grounding cab to frame, engine to frame, etc. all the crazy things went away
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
jeffahart

If you read through the threads, then you may have read some of my comments. I would not do one more thing if I were you until I replaced the switch. I finally just cleaned up my original and now still use it. The dimmer in my original was giving trouble and I cleaned it up now is good. Nothing on AAW about the switches. There is only one manufacture that makes them and they are of poor quality.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
'68 Newtricks

I've got a new switch sitting on my bench you can test with.