The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #1
3x2GTO

Need help on C10 454 swap

I'm swapping a 454 from a 1986 3/4 ton 2wd suburban to a 1986 C10 short bed, I'm using all of the original 454 parts such as frame stands, motor mounts and engine clam shells. Today, I removed all of the mounts from the C10 and placed the 454 stands on the frame. I can get the 2 bolts that mount the stand to the top of the frame in, but the 2 holes on the crossmember are an inch too low, this is the same for both sides. The frame stands had about 1/2 inch front to back adjustment on the "burb", but nothing when mounted to the C10. Is this going to cause any issues? Do I bolt in the top on both frame stands and drill the two lower holes? I was expecting the frame to be double drilled at the factory and the stands would drop right in. Thanks!
3x2GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
3x2GTO

Re: Need help on C10 454 swap

Here's the 454 mounts.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #3
D13

3/3 ton frames are taller and the stands do not directly swap between the frames. Yes, you will need the stands bolted down properly to prevent movement and part breakage. Correct stands or break out the welder.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:05 AM   #4
kwmech

If I'm not mistaken you could have just used the original stands as I don't think it really changes the position of the engine in the square bodies
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #5
3x2GTO

I was going to that, but was told the engine would sit about an inch lower, which would cause problems if I go to headers. I did compare the sbc against the 454 frame stands, and they are different in height, about an inch. Anyways, I used the holes on top of the frame as a starting point and got the engine in today. I'll pull it back out and drill new holes for the bottom bolts, I have the core support out, so fairly easy to pull and replace the engine.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:30 AM   #6
3x2GTO

The big block is in.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2021, 02:10 PM   #7
SCOTI

Nothing to it but to do it
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
3x2GTO

I know my way around the GM "A" body cars, because that's what I grew up with, I just don't have much wrenching experience on pickups. It turned out to be a straight forward swap, but I got derailed by some misinformation on the web. Imagine that! Anyways, It's an unfinished project that I'm getting to start, run and stop, and then sell. It came with a trans crossmember that just attaches to the bottom rail, but it fits and will work good, only have to drill a couple of holes. I was hoping to use the smog manifolds, but no way are they going to fit unless I remove the tubes or raise the engine, going to order headers tonight.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
Factory Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x2GTO View Post
I know my way around the GM "A" body cars, because that's what I grew up with, I just don't have much wrenching experience on pickups. It turned out to be a straight forward swap, but I got derailed by some misinformation on the web. Imagine that! Anyways, It's an unfinished project that I'm getting to start, run and stop, and then sell. It came with a trans crossmember that just attaches to the bottom rail, but it fits and will work good, only have to drill a couple of holes. I was hoping to use the smog manifolds, but no way are they going to fit unless I remove the tubes or raise the engine, going to order headers tonight.
I am with you as i too have done a 454 swap into my A body (chevelle). Which was a simple drop in. I would think the squarebodys would be the same for dropping in a BB versus a SB.
Factory Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #10
3x2GTO

The swap is all done, working on getting it wired up now. I used all the big block mounts, frame stands clam shells etc... which sat the engine about an inch higher than the original small block parts would have. I had it for sale on FB as an EZ project, but no bites, so I'm going to get it running and drive it this year. Still have to get the correct slip yoke, driveshaft cut, grille, new tires, exhaust and whatever it needs to pass inspection. Thanks for the replies!
Old 06-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
The swap is all done, working on getting it wired up now. I used all the big block mounts, frame stands clam shells etc... which sat the engine about an inch higher than the original small block parts would have. I had it for sale on FB as an EZ project, but no bites, so I'm going to get it running and drive it this year. Still have to get the correct slip yoke, driveshaft cut, grille, new tires, exhaust and whatever it needs to pass inspection. Thanks for the replies!
Running & driving will help the sale pitch for sure. More than a few potential buyers won't pony up the necessary funds when they can't hear the project run. The most common advertisement line of "it just needs 'this & that' to be great" is a big watch-out for me unless I'm familiar w/the seller.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
3x2GTO

Yeah, it's getting tougher to sell a running or roller project, the people with $$ to spend would just as soon buy a turn key/done car. I'll have it running this Week, but it still needs everything to be a show truck. There seems to be a shortage of "hands on" car guys, when I was young (1970's) 9 out of 10 us teenage boys were putting something together, that's not the case today. I just retired and have sold most of my stuff and want to go fishing, otherwise I'd build this for myself.
Old 06-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
Yeah, it's getting tougher to sell a running or roller project, the people with $$ to spend would just as soon buy a turn key/done car. I'll have it running this Week, but it still needs everything to be a show truck. There seems to be a shortage of "hands on" car guys, when I was young (1970's) 9 out of 10 us teenage boys were putting something together, that's not the case today. I just retired and have sold most of my stuff and want to go fishing, otherwise I'd build this for myself.
Very true.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG