The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
J3rm0ff

72 Swb starting from the bottom

I have wanted a 67-72 c10 for as long as I can remember. I have fixed A few cars but have never taken on a full project like this. I have been looking for one for the past year or so. Everything I found local seemed so far overpriced or too rusty for comfort. Finally found this one. 72 super Cheyenne short bed. 20 years ago he drove it to his friends body shop to fix up. They had a fallout and there it sat for 18 years or so. I was told 99% of everything I needed to put it back together... I was too trusting.

Got everything home a couple weeks ago and dug into the cab. Took the cab over to my dads to take advantage of his tools and experience to take care of the rust. Passenger side is pretty much done. Now working on the drivers side.

The current plan for the truck is to get a 6.0 and 4l80e combo and throw a turbo on it.
Attached Images

J3rm0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Jason7121

Re: 72 Swb starting from the bottom

Lots of work but in the end it will be worth it all. You will love the 6.0L motor they run well in these truck and fit great.
Attached Images

Jason7121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #3
J3rm0ff

got some work done. Started tearing down the rear end so I can do trailing arm bushings and reinforce them. Also going to have the gears changed out. I believe they're 2.73ish right now.

Brought home a 2005 2500hd 2wd as a donor. Got all of the wiring out and the motor and trans prepped to pull out. Have to wait to get the hoist at my house.
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2017, 02:33 AM   #4
Originalthor

Looks like you are off to great start. At least with it being in storage some young kid didn't carve a 6x9 in your doors.

What do you plan on running for back brakes. I notice 4 disks sitting on the shop floor there and no drum brake plate on the diff.
Originalthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
notsolo

Good progress ...Rear axles were generally 3.08 - 3.42 - 3.73.....2.73 would most likely have been in a car.....I swapped 2.73 into my 72 Blazer.....whole drivetrain out of a 93 Caprice....Good highway cruiser.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #6
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalthor View Post
Looks like you are off to great start. At least with it being in storage some young kid didn't carve a 6x9 in your doors.

What do you plan on running for back brakes. I notice 4 disks sitting on the shop floor there and no drum brake plate on the diff.

I'm in the process of trying to put together a kit using 10-15 camaro ss brembos. I have the rotors to machine to the right hub bore and bolt pattern but found that srt8 jeep rotors would probably actually be a better route. I got the camaro rotors for next to nothing so not out a whole lot. Right now I'm trying to find someone who will sell me just the hubs for the front out of a big brake kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Good progress ...Rear axles were generally 3.08 - 3.42 - 3.73.....2.73 would most likely have been in a car.....I swapped 2.73 into my 72 Blazer.....whole drivetrain out of a 93 Caprice....Good highway cruiser.
Hmm I wonder if it's not the original axle then. I don't really know about rear ends and gear ratios. I looked up on the internet how to figure it out and did the rotor the tire and count the driveshaft rotations and it was about 2 3/4.
Old 12-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #7
notsolo

Ring gear could be stamped 41 and 11 which would be 3.73....pretty common and good all around choice.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
J3rm0ff

Made some more progress today. Went down to my dads where the majority of the body panels are. Driver side rust repair is almost complete. Need to weld in the cab corner and rocker to finish it off. And fortunately he is a small machine shop at his house. So we modified the original hub discs to function as just a hub. Also modified the camaro ss rotor to fit the hub. I'm picking up the camaro brembos tomorrow. Still need to get the cpp modular drop spindles before I can start fabbing the brackets.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #9
J3rm0ff

Picked up the calipers and cpp drop spindles. Looks like the fronts will be fairly easy to adapt. One bolt lines up almost perfectly. Need to pick up a rear rotor still but am pretty confident that will be easy.
Attached Images

Last edited by J3rm0ff; 12-09-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
J3rm0ff

I got a front and rear rotor from a srt8 jeep and I think I'm going to go with them. They are the same bolt pattern so I'll only have to bore out the hub ID. They are the same thickness and diameter as the camaro ss rotors.

I got one slam specialties ss7 bag so that I could use it for mockup purposes and not have to take the hit of all 4 at once I have brackets for the front bag brackets on the way and some material on the way to make rear plates.

I got the front crossmember removed still need to sandblast it. Control arms Are sandblasted and stripped down ready to paint. I've got one trailing arm stitch welded. Need to finish the other one and prep them for paint.

Tore the 6.0 down that I got from the 2500hd and it doesn't look to promising internally so it will be going to the machine shop for cleaning and new bearings. And on that note i picked up a poor condition 6.0 to use to mockup everything while the other one gets rebuilt.

Found a set of used up and forward turbo manifolds. Really hoping to use them down and forward but we will see how that plays out.

Ordered a set of 3/4 ton squarebody frame stands and clamshells to use with dirty dingo sliders. That motor mount design seems a lot more stout then the earlier design.

Been going down to my dads to work on the body panels when I get extra time on the weekends. Trying to prep everything to get in epoxy primer then I'll bring it back up to my house. Really happy with the condition of the metal. The bed is virtually rust free. I am still on the hunt for a 67/68 front clip.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

How much track width are you adding to the stock front hubs, by placing the SRT rotors on top of them?
The front track width is already wider than the rear axle.
I'd hate to make it even wider.
I guess more positive offset front wheels will cure that,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #12
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
How much track width are you adding to the stock front hubs, by placing the SRT rotors on top of them?
The front track width is already wider than the rear axle.
I'd hate to make it even wider.
I guess more positive offset front wheels will cure that,...
I got the cpp modular spindles which (from what I understand) move the track width in .75" each side. So I'll loose whatever the thickness of the rotor face is 1/8" or so per side.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #13
J3rm0ff

I loosely mocked everything up in the front, along with the clamshell frame stands, to make sure it would all work before painting. Took everything back apart and am prepping and painting. Finally got setup to paint in my garage took longer than I thought. Seemed like everytime I went to finally paint I was missing a piece to the puzzle. I'm painting most of the chassis and suspension pieces with summit racing chassis shield as I am local to summit and can pick it up and it seems to have good reviews. Sprayed it for the first time tonight and it went on well.

Ps... why do the pictures upload sideways? Haven't figured that one out lol
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #14
J3rm0ff

Made some more progress. Got some more stuff painted and the rear bags mocked up. Some stuff I'm trying to figure out... how much to notch the frame, rear shock mounts, front shocks and gas tank.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2018, 12:34 AM   #15
J3rm0ff

I finally got the notches made, for the most part. Decided to make them instead of buying and ended up taking longer than anticipated. I figured out that the lowest I could go with stock trailig arms in the stock location would need about 3.5" notch. I did a 4" notch to give some room for a bumpstop. Next up is to figure out the panhard bar frame mount since the stock one had to be removed to box in the frame. And I think I will be going with the tanks inc universal trunk tank and their gpa-8 fuel pump assembly with the walboro 450.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2018, 09:49 PM   #16
J3rm0ff

Got the motor mounts made and transmission crossmember moved back. Might need to raise the transmission a little. Need to get an angle finder to check the angle. The gas tank is on the way from tanks inc. and I have decided on the alternator and power steering brackets from ICT to accommodate the up and forward headers.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2018, 09:00 PM   #17
J3rm0ff

Got some more work done on the truck. Got the cab and front end set on to check clearances. Looks like I have all kinds of room and will probably slide the motor back some more.

I got the tanks inc universal 16 gallon tank mounted up and the panhard bar mount bolted up.

I'm on the fence about selling the up and forward headers and buying a log style turbo manifold to minimize the amount of pipe that would be in the engine bay.

Also really wanted a 59-60 impala dash and scored one for the best price ever. Free.99!! My dad came across the impala In a field and the owner side he could take the dash as the car was too far gone
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2018, 09:37 PM   #18
cornerstone

I see a bunch of work in your future. Nothing ventured nothing gained! That dash will be wild man.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:03 AM   #19
J3rm0ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerstone View Post
I see a bunch of work in your future. Nothing ventured nothing gained! That dash will be wild man.
Yea sometimes I think I'm in over my head haha. Just got to work on it little by little. I can't wait to start working on the dash. The c10 dash just didn't do anything for me.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
Pinky6872

That dash is going to look sweet!

Instagram @chrispinkosky
Pinky6872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:21 PM   #21
J3rm0ff

Decided to go a different way with the turbo setup just to simplify things and keep as much of the exhaust out of the engine bay as possible. I ordered a turbo manifold from kb racing and got a hooker manifold with a vband flange already on it. Made the crossover this weekend.

I also picked up a 68 front clip from a forum member. Happy to have found what seems to be very solid panels.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #22
J3rm0ff

Going to try and keep this updated even if it’s just to track my own progress.

Got the turbo in. Borg Warner s475 with the 1.10 a/r.

Also got the ICT low mount alternator and ls1 power steering bracket kit. Fits really well. Was nervous the truck alternator wouldn’t clear the frame but there’s plenty of room.

And finally finishing boxing in the notches.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2018, 09:36 PM   #23
J3rm0ff

Ended up buying a new core support from summit racing so I wouldn’t have to hack up my 72 one. Someone met me there to buy mine. Also picked up a mishimoto 31x12 intercooler. Looks like it will work out.

On the home stretch of shaving the firewall (I think) just have to make the filler piece for the passenger side to have the same shape as the driver side. I think I’m also going to shave the wire channel.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2018, 12:00 AM   #24
cornerstone

Looking forward to your updates! Nice progress. -Brian
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:58 PM   #25
TexasLS1

Sub'ing, nice work!
TexasLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote