The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Unhappy Starter Hangs on flexplate.

I have been starter challenged since my brother rebuilt my engine, he discovered he put on the incorrect flexplate after he found my flexplate hiding behind the shop's workbench.

We corrected that some months back but when we did that, we also put on a rebuilt starter from a local shop. Things seem okay but every so often the starter doesn't engage right (think awful sound), so I figured I needed to revisit the shims. I have ton of shims of various sizes but I can't seem to get it dialed in. I went from no shims to a number of them.

Photos taken by my snake camera, the starter pinion gear is hung on the flexplate after it didn't engage and start the engine. To get it off I have to push it back with a bit of force with a screwdriver.

Might I have a starter with the incorrect starter pinion gear?
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:30 AM   #2
geezer#99

Re: Starter Hangs on flexplate.

Are you using full shims or half shims.

Do you have a starter brace?
We assume you’re using the correct knurled shank starter bolts.

Brace info here.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=776005
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:48 AM   #3
PbFut

Humm, I can't tell from the angle if the flex plate is bottoming on the starter gear. It sounds like you tried all the shim possibles so it is likely something else. I assume the plate is true. Is it possible the solenoid is failing and not moving the starter gear correctly? Were you able to look at this view while turning over the motor?
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:56 AM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I'm using full shims.

I've picked up a starter from O'Riley’s - didn’t want to but said the heck with it.

I’ve not been about to start her up and look at the same time

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 07-29-2023, 12:51 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Pretty sure it’s the starter. The pinion just hangs there mostly engaged. New starter installed, no odd starting after ~20 bumps of the key, with no shims installed. Before every 5~10 starts it was a miss / horrid sound not engaging the flexplate.

Edit:
Called a helper over and we decided on one 1/64 shim, then another 1/64, though we feel like the 2nd one didn't really change much. Have nearly 40 bumps of the key and no misses / horrid noises. Hope this is the end of replacing starters. Though I have gotten good removing, installing the starter and cycling shims in/out! This is even with the back brace for the starter in place (I totally see why people throw it away, such a PITA but I am not ever leaving it out).
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich72C10; 07-29-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 01:38 PM   #6
Ironangel

The Bendix gear teeth on the existing starter look a bit worn so buying another starter may have been a good move. You may need to go ahead and get a starter brace so the starter is rigid. Use a paper clip to gauge the clearance between the starter teeth and the flexplate teeth. You can use a jumper wire to deploy the Bendix gear for clearance checking. Do this before you connect the main positive wire from the battery to the solenoid so the starter dont turn when you deploy the Bendix... https://static.summitracing.com/glob...um-829100a.pdf
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 01:48 PM   #7
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

@Ironangel - I edited my post likely when you were replying - I have had the back starter brace installed for some time now - that was one of the 1st things I did (before learning I had the wrong flexplate installed).

The one thing I haven't figured out is the tip of having the Bendix gear engaged with power but not having the starter turn over. I been using a screw driver to pull it out, which was damn hard with this new starter. I have been using a paperclip - which has blue tape at the end with "Chevy Starter Tool" written on it ;-)

Old 07-29-2023, 03:27 PM   #8
ESC

While your trying to figure this out, use manual tools ratchet extension socket. No air impact wrench.
ESC is offline   Reply With Quote