The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
devinder8788

signal lights AND reverse lights HELPPP!!!

when i drive my truck and i break both my signal lights light up at the same time. i have taken the car to a mechanic and he said its supposed to be like that i called BULLSH*T my mechanic is back next month from his vacation so i want to be independent and see if i can fix it myself with some help from you guys of course

Another thing i have noticed is i change my reverse bulbs once a month they always burn out and i mean burn out the bulb looks like it blew up its all black its not both bulbs at once the blow its always one at a time when i got the truck i only had one working light out of both taillights

i have some sort of wiring problem please help
2000 chevrolet corvette
2001 Pontiac grand prix GT
2005 GMC yukon 4X4
2006 BMW 325I
devinder8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: signal lights AND reverse lights HELPPP!!!

you need to find a new mechanic
first operate your hazard switch in and out a couple of times, when your hazards are on your front lights will show brakes
the switch may be partially in
check that no one has connected the rear wires to the front
you may need a new multifunction and/or hazard switch; brake lights run thru the switches
your truck should use similar wire colors to this

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
wraprail

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinder8788 View Post
when i drive my truck and i break both my signal lights light up at the same time. i have taken the car to a mechanic and he said its supposed to be like that i called BULLSH*T my mechanic is back next month from his vacation so i want to be independent and see if i can fix it myself with some help from you guys of course

Another thing i have noticed is i change my reverse bulbs once a month they always burn out and i mean burn out the bulb looks like it blew up its all black its not both bulbs at once the blow its always one at a time when i got the truck i only had one working light out of both taillights

i have some sort of wiring problem please help
I'm going to assume you have a 81-87 C10 so based on that assumption,

First off, your machanic is correct. Both of the REAR signal lights are the same lamps as the brake lights. When you apply the brakes and the turn signal is on (blinking) that side continues to blink and only the other side actually has the brake light.
In other words, which ever side you turn on the blinker it will over ride the brake light on that side.
Now that I read your post again, do you mean both sides blink when you hit the brakes?

As for the back up lights I would guess that they are staying on while you are driving forward. Have someone drive behind you if possible as see if they stay on. The reverse light switch is on the steering column (i'm assuming you have an automatic transmission) and they have been known to go bad. It can come and go to so when the switch sticks only sometimes.
Thats really the only thing that would cause the lamps to get so hot and burn up like that. Backup lamps are a high wattage and put out a ton of heat so when they stay on it can even melt the lense sometimes.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
devinder8788

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraprail View Post
I'm going to assume you have a 81-87 C10 so based on that assumption,

First off, your machanic is correct. Both of the REAR signal lights are the same lamps as the brake lights. When you apply the brakes and the turn signal is on (blinking) that side continues to blink and only the other side actually has the brake light.
In other words, which ever side you turn on the blinker it will over ride the brake light on that side.
Now that I read your post again, do you mean both sides blink when you hit the brakes?

As for the back up lights I would guess that they are staying on while you are driving forward. Have someone drive behind you if possible as see if they stay on. The reverse light switch is on the steering column (i'm assuming you have an automatic transmission) and they have been known to go bad. It can come and go to so when the switch sticks only sometimes.
Thats really the only thing that would cause the lamps to get so hot and burn up like that. Backup lamps are a high wattage and put out a ton of heat so when they stay on it can even melt the lense sometimes.

Yes my truck is a 87-c10 2dr automatic diesel
what i was trying to say is that as i put my foot on the break my front signal lights not the ones that are on the side of the fenders the ones under the headlights light up as soon as i take my foot off the break it turns off
i had some one drive behind me when i back up my one bulb is burnt out, as i drive the reverse bulbs are not on only when i put it in reverse the bulb turns on. when i turn the left signal on the signal works fine when i put the right signal on it just stays green on the dash it does not blink
2000 chevrolet corvette
2001 Pontiac grand prix GT
2005 GMC yukon 4X4
2006 BMW 325I
devinder8788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:03 AM   #5
wraprail

Ok dude, heres the deal. Normally when you have a signal lamp that does not bling just the arrow on the dash stats green, that means you have a burned out bulb somewhere on that side. But with all your other problems it may not be just that. This is what I would do, go check every lamp/bulb on your truck and write down which ones don't work and which ones do something funny. Cuz without knowing the whole picture it is impossible for anyone to even guess what wrong or begin to try and help you. Thats what I would do.
And you need to try every combonation like the turn signal on while pushing on the brake with the headlights on and off. Cuz you are somehow getting the brake lights up front in your turn signals which most likely is something inside the steering column at the turn signal switch. That involves pulling the steering wheel and you don't want to do that unless you have to.