The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2015, 11:22 PM   #1
Jonnyspringfield

Need lowering help 1964 C30

So I finally got rid of one project and have the additional resources to throw at my daily '64 c30. Dropping a 5 speed NV4500 in next week and have been trying to work out a good solution to the stance. I'm thinking lowering spindles for the front since that would likely be the best ride? (Outside of bags) and I've been looking at doing a flip kit on the rear trying to retain the 10 million lb leaf springs for functionality.
There is a lot out there for the 1/2 ton c10 but I have been running into difficulties trying to figure out a solution for the c30.
Looking to lower 2.5-3" in the front and rear.
I'll be reconfiguring the bed and tool boxes soon so I'd like to try and tackle the lowering while I have extra room to move around. Thanks for the help and definitely appreciate everyone's posts in this forum. I've learned more in six months on this site than that entire college career, haha.
Jonnyspringfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Need lowering help 1964 C30

I did the leaf flip on my 66 1 ton frame , it is closer to 8 inches moving it from one side of the spring pack to the other.

in the front I used a 73-87 crossmember, pancaked it 2 inches, then put in 3 inch springs and 3 inch spindles.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Jonnyspringfield

After a little research it looks like doing drop shackles is going to be my best route on the rear. My rear fenders are welded directly to the frame so i don't really care to mess with their height to allow for more clearance. Did you use c10 drop spindles on the front?
Jonnyspringfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:35 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

yes I did change my whole setup to 1/2 ton,,,, I have a friend that bagged a 73-87 crew (1 ton) a few years back, and he went through quite the process to find dropped spindles for it, they were back ordered for a while, and when he did get them they were around 400... that along with not needing the 1 ton capacity was why I did the switch.

you might be just able to get away with 3 inch springs on the front? and skip the spindles?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
LVPhotos

Why not use a 70-88 3/4 or 1 ton drop spindles. Or bags on Schraders for cheap up front.
There are bags available for your load capacity.
Food for thought take a few springs out rear and bag s well. Here is my 1 Ton 4x4 with Ride Rite helper bags.
Attached Images

LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:06 PM   #6
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyspringfield View Post

So I finally got rid of one project and have the additional resources to throw at my daily '64 c30. Dropping a 5 speed NV4500 in next week and have been trying to work out a good solution to the stance. I'm thinking lowering spindles for the front since that would likely be the best ride? (Outside of bags) and I've been looking at doing a flip kit on the rear trying to retain the 10 million lb leaf springs for functionality.
There is a lot out there for the 1/2 ton c10 but I have been running into difficulties trying to figure out a solution for the c30.
Looking to lower 2.5-3" in the front and rear.
I'll be reconfiguring the bed and tool boxes soon so I'd like to try and tackle the lowering while I have extra room to move around. Thanks for the help and definitely appreciate everyone's posts in this forum. I've learned more in six months on this site than that entire college career, haha.
Cool looking project. I am going to follow along as I am building a similar 68 1 ton dually (short bed step side) called Homer. I didn't want to get rid of the whole 1 ton dually thing as (for me) that's what makes it cool and different.
I found a set of 73-87 bell tech drop spindles used for $150 but kinda waiting till I get my bed on to decide whether or not to drop it.
Anyhow, good luck with you C-30.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote