The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
sbwillard

Smile bucket seats

Just bought a 87 short bed. Would like to replace the old bench with buckets. What have some of you used? THANKS!
Billy: chevy:
sbwillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
77ChevySharkBite

Re: bucket seats

Welcome to the forum!

Click on the link below it has some suggestions of where you can look and has some pictures of people who have done bucket seats in there trucks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562485

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I have several sets of factory pickup bucket seats but they all need recovered so finding a nice set is prety tuff. However, I like to use 88-91 Suburban buckets since they are much easier to find and usually in good shape. Both Blazers and 'Burbs have tracks which curve down slightly at the rear of the tracks instead of upwards like the pickups. To solve this, I like to use 2 sets of pickup benchseat tracks and adapt them over to the 'Burban buckets-the other reason for this is now I can have an adjustable bucket with armrests! Check out this pic from my build thread...

I haven't got around yet to installing the new LMC instrument cluster brushed silver trim just yet-but the seats look right at home. You don't always need a reclining bucket seat since room is tight but, I'm 6 foot and 190 lbs. so I can still set my seat how I want it and be comfy. The main thing at the time was I had a 1990 Suburban I was building and I bought another dark blue Burban for parts-well, after that truck was done, I aquired this shortbox and figured if only I could find another set of blue Burban buckets....then low and behold one of the local salvage yards got a 1990 GMC Burban in with seats that were super clean-just needed powerscrubbed and they are like new now....pretty crazy good luck I would say-I prolly have 3 complete dark blue interior kits worth of parts except for seats...lol!
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
I have several sets of factory pickup bucket seats but they all need recovered so finding a nice set is prety tuff. However, I like to use 88-91 Suburban buckets since they are much easier to find and usually in good shape. Both Blazers and 'Burbs have tracks which curve down slightly at the rear of the tracks instead of upwards like the pickups. To solve this, I like to use 2 sets of pickup benchseat tracks and adapt them over to the 'Burban buckets-the other reason for this is now I can have an adjustable bucket with armrests! Check out this pic from my build thread...

I haven't got around yet to installing the new LMC instrument cluster brushed silver trim just yet-but the seats look right at home. You don't always need a reclining bucket seat since room is tight but, I'm 6 foot and 190 lbs. so I can still set my seat how I want it and be comfy. The main thing at the time was I had a 1990 Suburban I was building and I bought another dark blue Burban for parts-well, after that truck was done, I aquired this shortbox and figured if only I could find another set of blue Burban buckets....then low and behold one of the local salvage yards got a 1990 GMC Burban in with seats that were super clean-just needed powerscrubbed and they are like new now....pretty crazy good luck I would say-I prolly have 3 complete dark blue interior kits worth of parts except for seats...lol!
I really like the way your interior is turning out. Looks sharp. Did you just drill a whole in the floor for the extra holes and nut/bolt them? Did you have to do anything or just bolt up the bench seat tracks to the buckets or was there fab work involved?

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I did drill holes to locate the mounting points....then, I welded nuts from underneath the floor-it appears as factory tho-then, I undercoated them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
jpnh

These are the seats im gonna use on my stepside. anyone do this conversion before? {newer GM} anyone know what year they are?/ i bought them through CL out of the vehicle. i believe there out of a truck that was totaled. they will fit. cant afford to take no for an answer.gotta fabricate a base.
Attached Images

jpnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

my 78 Jimmy buckets are in rough shape
so i grabbed the ones from my 89 burb
the base is 16 wide just drilled new holes
jimmy bases are for a flat floor tho
I put the dial on the outside as the jimmy drivers seat dosn't go forward,
but the dial helps lean it when outside
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
jpnh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
These are the seats im gonna use on my stepside. anyone do this conversion before? {newer GM} anyone know what year they are?/ i bought them through CL out of the vehicle. i believe there out of a truck that was totaled. they will fit. cant afford to take no for an answer.gotta fabricate a base.
[]{Looks like they were out of a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 extended cab}[]
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
I was going to say they look like the ones in my 03 2500HD crew cab. If I am not mistaken the people that put these seats in cut the back part of the floor pan out and made it flat. I think I also saw where someone had made a custom bracket.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 09-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
jpnh

Thanx {rs74?}I seen a couple trucks in the pix section with m so i know its do-able just lookin for some insight before i get goin on it-jeff
Old 09-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
rs74

gmachinz, post a pic when you get the rest of the interior done.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 09-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
jpnh

Check out some of the seats these guys offer exspensive but cool.http://www.trucknvans.com/
Old 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
gmachinz
Account Suspended

I'll definitely post some pics.....one of my weekend projects is to get my jute padding down on the floor, then install the new carpet. After that may come a custom stereo install....idk.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #14
BennettGM

Any idea how to remove the arms from the 1991 suburban style bucket seats?
Padding has completely disintegrated and want to repay.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:09 PM   #15
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettGM View Post
Any idea how to remove the arms from the 1991 suburban style bucket seats?
Padding has completely disintegrated and want to repay.
x2. I need to re-foam mine as well.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 PM   #16
The Ohioian

I tore down the bench and welded the ends together. It has worked out and are just as comfortable as the bench; still need to do the interior but Im driving around and no-one knows the difference

https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=812100

Last edited by The Ohioian; 10-19-2021 at 09:49 PM.
The Ohioian is offline   Reply With Quote