The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2018, 08:00 AM   #1
The Rocknrod

Blueprint vs ATK Engines

I'm looking at these two engines for my 64 stepside. Slight differences but one (ATK) has a 4 bolt mains and the other (Blueprint) has 2 bolt mains. Heads are a bit different. I am using an 11" brake booster and am concerned about vacuum so I am leaning toward ATK. Both have roller lifters, vortec heads, one piece rear mains and can use a mechanical fuel pump. Blueprint says they dyno theirs. ATK does not however. This could be an issue also, since now I'm reading feedback from other forums less favorable to ATK.
Whats your take?
1. http://www.high-performance-engines....0hp-p/hp32.htm

2. https://blueprintengines.com/collect...lock-bp3503ct1

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 11-22-2018 at 08:33 AM.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Blueprint vs ATK Engines

I'm no expert, but at that power level, I don't think the two bolt main is a huge issue. I would vote for the Blue Print one.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
sweetk30

i just got this L31 96-03 4 bolt votrec long block new from gm no reman . https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-NEW-...nA85:rk:3:pf:0

plan is run it at the 290hp and if i want more swap the cam and get the 330-350 hp level in a year . if carb just add a 40-50 buck electric fuel pump ( and great anti theft device with hidden switch ) and good to go for less money .

my friend has been reading up on all these house brand reman / performance engines and its a roll of the dice just pick one . he thinks he has it and then finds more bad on this one . then more bad on this one . . . its just gamble in the end .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I'm no expert, but at that power level, I don't think the two bolt main is a huge issue. I would vote for the Blue Print one.
Thanks I havnt heard anything bad on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
i just got this L31 96-03 4 bolt votrec long block new from gm no reman . https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-OEM-NEW-...nA85:rk:3:pf:0

plan is run it at the 290hp and if i want more swap the cam and get the 330-350 hp level in a year . if carb just add a 40-50 buck electric fuel pump ( and great anti theft device with hidden switch ) and good to go for less money .

my friend has been reading up on all these house brand reman / performance engines and its a roll of the dice just pick one . he thinks he has it and then finds more bad on this one . then more bad on this one . . . its just gamble in the end .
Looks great but I do want to go with a mechanical fuel pump. At least on this truck.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
Speedracer39

I have a coworker that purchased a 383 from blueprint over the summer and has been very pleased with it.
Speedracer39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

From what I have read and seen online, I would lean towards the Blueprint engine. Plus having the engine ran and dyno'd is a bonus. If by chance there was any issue in the assembly, it would show up on the dyno and they would fix the issue.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 06:47 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer39 View Post
I have a coworker that purchased a 383 from blueprint over the summer and has been very pleased with it.
All I hear is good things on them, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
From what I have read and seen online, I would lean towards the Blueprint engine. Plus having the engine ran and dyno'd is a bonus. If by chance there was any issue in the assembly, it would show up on the dyno and they would fix the issue.
That's my opinion also thank you - Captainfab what are your thoughts on the cam size for the brake booster on the Blueprint engine?
Okay I just read where a guy installed the this Blueprint engine and got = idle at 16 in. vac. and at 2100 rpm - cruise 21 in. vac. idles at 800 rpm very good. So I think that puts that to bed.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 11-23-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
geezer#99

[QUOTE=
Okay I just read where a guy installed the this Blueprint engine and got = idle at 16 in. vac. and at 2100 rpm - cruise 21 in. vac. idles at 800 rpm very good. So I think that puts that to bed. [/QUOTE]

Don’t believe those numbers. I wouldn’t.
Where did he live?
What was his timing curve like?
That effects his fantasy numbers.

You want the best chance of higher vacuum then look for a cam with wider lsa’s.
The blueprint is 110. The atk 112.
Better chance of more vacuum with the atk.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Don’t believe those numbers. I wouldn’t.
Where did he live?
What was his timing curve like?
That effects his fantasy numbers.

You want the best chance of higher vacuum then look for a cam with wider lsa’s.
The blueprint is 110. The atk 112.
Better chance of more vacuum with the atk.
Thanks, didn't even consider that.
On 112 vs 110 I read where Grumpy said "short answer, 110 LSA if its a engine used mostly at high RPM, 112 LSA if its street driven" _ I'm a street driven guy myself.
I sent a request for information to Blueprint though asking if it can be built with a milder cam.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
truckdude239

atk use to sell reman engine to advance auto and local parts stores i've used a couple one in my f150 it ran good but always had oil pressure issuses it run lower pressure then i like or the oil pressure wandered alot, other was a reman 2.8 that in my bosses s10 blazer it runs good i installed like 6 years ago i bought the engine with the timing covers and pans already installed, fast forward to last year it starts leaking coolant out of the timing cover where it meets the block pull the timing cover and find out that the timing set is wore out , and now the vavle seals are leaking and we've only put 20k miles on it in 6 years so i stay away from atk engine now

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #11
The Rocknrod

Demiiiiiiiiit.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
jeffahart

I wouldn't bother asking for a cam swap. I would just go with the engine sweetk30 purchased( a damn nice engine) and deal with the electric pump.

I had BP send me the dyno numbers of BP3503CT1 vs the 383 BP38313ct1. They run pretty close. I like the easy drop in and cost. Reman never bothered me on driver/work vehicles.

I'm still weighing my options as well, but this 350 is on my mind.

Like said, it's all really a crap shoot... that's why they give warranties. BP Dynos and that's a nice extra. Once one of us gets one of these, then we can better eval the BS meter! BP seems pretty proud of the 3503CT1 for the Cost or power!

j
Old 11-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #13
sweetk30

here is my thread on the info these guys here gave me on the gm vortec L31 4 bolt . helped me pic it for the price / quality / easy power bump later options.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=763121

and as others said a 40-50 buck electric fuel pump to save you 400-500 bucks seems like a win .
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
The Rocknrod

An electric fuel pump will not be an option for this truck!
Old 11-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #15
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetk30 View Post
here is my thread on the info these guys here gave me on the gm vortec L31 4 bolt . helped me pic it for the price / quality / easy power bump later options.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=763121

and as others said a 40-50 buck electric fuel pump to save you 400-500 bucks seems like a win .
I'm not convinced the 400-500 is bad for someone who want's(or needs) to stay with a manual pump. But, if you're going to reconfigure the motor, why bother. It's a setup, whole point of the crate is an easy button type scenario, in my eyes.

Also, " Reman never bothered me on driver/work vehicles." that's just stupid. I'll use a seasoned block on lot's of stuff, lots of good stuff sitting in side yards. Mouth got ahead of the brain. I really want to say that about 2bolt vs 4bolt. Accept my correction...

j
Old 11-24-2018, 01:22 AM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

While a cam with a 112LSA will produce better/more vacuum than a cam with a 110LSA, I don't know if it will be enough difference to affect the operation of vacuum assisted brakes. Do you have a dual diaphram brake booster Rod? Ask the people at Blueprint and see what they say about the proposed idle vacuum.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #17
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
While a cam with a 112LSA will produce better/more vacuum than a cam with a 110LSA, I don't know if it will be enough difference to affect the operation of vacuum assisted brakes. Do you have a dual diaphram brake booster Rod? Ask the people at Blueprint and see what they say about the proposed idle vacuum.
Thanks Cap. I have a single diaphragm 11" booster so I know it's going to need some good vac. I sent them a request for info as well but with the holidays and all...
I'll follow up with the answer probably Monday?
Wow the only ones I find with everything on my list run for much more money, like this one - https://sdparts.com/i-24104130-chevr...te-engine.html
I may have to save a bit longer.

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 11-24-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:01 PM   #18
68Gold/white

The ATK engine you have listed in post 1 is re-manned...

Blueprint does NOT do reman stuff, ALL their engines are NEW!!!
Blueprint makes their own block and heads in THEIR factory in Kearney, Nebraska. They may make other components as well. I've looked at their website several times. One of the things they advertise, is that EVERY engine is dyno'd before leaving their factory, That sounds crazy. The website even stated that along side a short block, they sell.

I've never heard anything bad about Blueprint stuff. I'm sure there may be a few unhappy customers out there, but a lot of folks don't have any business working on or swapping engines........'ya know there's a lot of shade tree's...everywhere...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 03:36 AM   #19
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
The ATK engine you have listed in post 1 is re-manned...

Blueprint does NOT do reman stuff, ALL their engines are NEW!!!
Blueprint makes their own block and heads in THEIR factory in Kearney, Nebraska. They may make other components as well. I've looked at their website several times. One of the things they advertise, is that EVERY engine is dyno'd before leaving their factory, That sounds crazy. The website even stated that along side a short block, they sell.

I've never heard anything bad about Blueprint stuff. I'm sure there may be a few unhappy customers out there, but a lot of folks don't have any business working on or swapping engines........'ya know there's a lot of shade tree's...everywhere...
68Gold/white - Thank you for the feedback.
In this case they're web site say's: "...seasoned block"
In this case I think you mean they build their own engines, not "make their own block and heads". Just a thought.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #20
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
68Gold/white - Thank you for the feedback.
In this case they're web site say's: "...seasoned block"
In this case I think you mean they build their own engines, not "make their own block and heads". Just a thought.
No, they cast their own blocks AND heads. It's serious deal. Not everyone knows this. Go to their website......
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #21
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

They do cast some of their own blocks (SBC 400 for one) and their line of aluminum heads, but they do also use OEM blocks and heads in their engine builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
No, they cast their own blocks AND heads. It's serious deal. Not everyone knows this. Go to their website......
Old 11-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #22
jeffahart

BP3503CT1 has seasoned block and heads.

j
Old 11-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #23
Stormin08

i have that exact BLUEPRINT engine...it is not machined for a mechanical fuel pump. it also came with a 399.7 hp / 407 tq dyno sheet ( more than advertised), they run it with a 600 cfm carb. i hope to push close top 420 hp on pump gas.

i have only had it running for say 20 minutes so far. cleaning up some appearance details.

check out my 88-98 build thread ( project wide body)
Stormin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #24
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin08 View Post
i have that exact BLUEPRINT engine...it is not machined for a mechanical fuel pump. it also came with a 399.7 hp / 407 tq dyno sheet ( more than advertised), they run it with a 600 cfm carb. i hope to push close top 420 hp on pump gas.

i have only had it running for say 20 minutes so far. cleaning up some appearance details.

check out my 88-98 build thread ( project wide body)
Ya, when I corresponded with them, they said to contact them before ordering so they could ensure setup for mech pump and clutch linkage drilled and tapped.

Nice! I think those number show a great value in this engine. Keep us posted, what carb intake and exhaust are you using... if you don't mind my asking?

j
Old 11-26-2018, 08:31 PM   #25
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Ya, when I corresponded with them, they said to contact them before ordering so they could ensure setup for mech pump and clutch linkage drilled and tapped...
Exactly.