The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2023, 10:13 PM   #1
waynep

Opinion on salvage title

I found a 1989 chevrolet silverado, two tone red. I have inspected this truck 3 times.
Very nice truck for 33 years old. All my boxes were checked till I saw the title. The truck has a salvage title. I then did a car fax. The truck had some left front impact damage in 2002 and aparently was totaled. I was very disappointed when I learned this. I am one who usually would be done with a vehicle with a salvage title. What is you opinions on a 33 years old truck that appears to have been taken care of but..... has a salvage title.
If I had this truck I would wind up spending alot of money restoring this truck and be worried that the title would be a big headache if I ever sold it. Opinions please. What would this truck be worth in this condition?
Attached Images

waynep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:39 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: Opinion on salvage title

If you have not already purchased, it.

I would not buy it.

If you have, I would just drive it as it is.

I traded my wife's car when we first got married.

The Owner and I shook hands and made a deal.

His son came in the next day and threw a fit about the salvage title.

He said we owed him (A certain amount of) Money.

Long story short, I avoid those titles like that.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #3
LeesTruk

I would contact your state DMV Dept. and see what the requirements are for registering a salvage titled vehicle. I bought a truck in similar condition. My state (CT) required; A) Have ALL receipts from damage repair B) Trailer said vehicle to a local inspection station. If the vehicle passes the inspection, a new title will be created, then the vehicle can be registered. A bit of a hassle but worth the effort.
From your pictures, the truck looks too nice to be cast off as field fodder
LeesTruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:41 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

To me it depends on what you want out of the truck. If it is a daily and you are going to run it till it's death, then I see no issue. If it is a project you want to improve and possibly sell in the future, NOPE leave it. I do agree with above on checking with you DMV about registering salvage title vehicles. Because insurance totaled a 13year old vehicle doesn't bother me, mostly because it is not uncommon for them to do. You may also want to see what your insurance company will say about it. Will they insure it or limit the insurance on it.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Looking at selling in the future I'd say that's a deterrent. Looking at flipping it's a no-go. Looking at keeping it for your enjoyment I wouldn't care. A vehicle doesn't have to be hurt bad to get totalled. It's all about dollars vs current value and a 13 year '89 didn't have a big book value back then vs the high cost of repairs. That repair was 20 years ago. By now it has proven itself to be good to go

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:00 AM   #6
waynep

Thank you for you comments. I have not purchased the truck. I actually told him last week I was going to pass.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:49 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

I'm curious how much he was asking. I could be interested if priced right. I can understand that just because there is a salvage title doesn't mean it's a bad vehicle. There are trucks out there with original titles that could be worse. The salvage title lets you know to look harder. Like I said before, for an insurance company to total a vehicle doesn't necessarily mean it was hurt bad. It can mean the insurance company didn't like the cost of repair against book value at the time. That truck could be worth more now than in '03.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-31-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
TKCR

I’m curious as to why it was never changed over to a rebuild title if it was restored. The truck would have needed to pass inspection for the title to be changed from salvage to rebuild.
I bought a truck, 2006 Chevy Colorado, that was salvaged twice, and rebuilt twice. Here’s a bit of the backstory.
My brother bought this truck that was salvaged, and get this, only because it had a blown engine. So he got a new engine in it, and had it inspected. It passed so the title was changed.
Then my parents bought the truck from him. They had it for just a little while, and they rolled it on black ice in March 2012. Truck was totaled again. There was a local guy that bought and rebuilt trucks, so he bought it shortly after the accident.
In 2015 I was in the market for a pickup and Dad told me that the one he had was rebuilt. Went and looked at it, and bought it. It had another rebuild title. But I was fine with that. 2006 and a fairly new engine in it, and they did an excellent job on rebuilding it. I was able to get a loan on it and get it insured.
Fast forward to 2021. Dad really loved that truck, and needed another vehicle and they are living in Florida now. So I gave him his truck back. It was a win win, because the truck is now going to reside in Florida. And it still looks and runs as good as the day I bought it in 2015.
Here are the pictures of when my Parents rolled it after hitting black ice. And then they day I bought the truck after being rebuilt.
Attached Images

TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:50 PM   #9
waynep

hey Special K he was asking $6500. I was asking in my original post what would this truck be worth?? and no one responded. As I said before I inspected this truck 3 times and the paint work on the drivers side made me dig deeper. I would already own this truck if not for the salvage title.

Hey TKCR. the truck has not been restored. I wanted to buy it and restore it But i am scared of the title.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:04 PM   #10
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

TKCR, not all states are same. Most I have run across is once salvage title, it stays salvage title, no matter how much/well it was fixed. I knew some places allow it to come back to life as normal. Trouble I have seen folks run across the most is getting it properly insured again after it has a salvage title. Most I have seen won't give you much more than minimal liability, if even that.

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-31-2023, 06:08 PM   #11
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
TKCR, not all states are same. Most I have run across is once salvage title, it stays salvage title, no matter how much/well it was fixed. I knew some places allow it to come back to life as normal. Trouble I have seen folks run across the most is getting it properly insured again after it has a salvage title. Most I have seen won't give you much more than minimal liability, if even that.
Must be different in Ohio then. I was able to carry full coverage, and so did my parents when they got it back from me. And they are in Florida, they didn’t have any issues with the insurance.
TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:40 PM   #12
LS short box

Salvage vehicles used to be big business in MN many years ago. For work I had to commute to MPLS airport 2-3 weeks a month. 150 miles each way. I bought a few theft recovery 4x4 trucks with salvage titles that I drove the wheels off going back and forth to the airport. In MN at least thru State Farm I had no problem getting full coverage insurance.
In MN they give you a grace period to get the vehicle fixed but it must be inspected. MN does not inspect for repairs they inspect for stolen parts.
In regards to the OP a rust free OSB could easily could be parted out in MN for $6500.
If you decide to move forward take it to a body shop that you trust. Put it on the frame rack and measure it. Kinks in the frame are hard to cover up.
But with a salvage title offer at least 25-30% less than asking. Worst they can say is no.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:35 PM   #13
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Not sure the situations, I know down here in MS, LA and AL it is hard to get full coverage after a car is classified as totaled and salvage titled. I have had some in PA, but that was 40+ years ago and I didn't care as I only ran minimal coverage back then. It was just something I want bring out. It doesn't hurt to check ahead before a purchase. I had friends that had issues in VA and MD, but again that was back in the 70s.

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-31-2023, 07:37 PM   #14
Tom
driving is in my blood

The older it gets, the easier it is to total.
A truck worth $3k in keley blue book could be totaled from a fender bender.
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:23 PM   #15
LS short box

Yeah it is getting easier to total a car these days. Some great 10-12 year old mid-size sedans after a deer hits are totaled. I've been helping a local body shop a grand total of 8 hours per week. Two four hour days. Block and wet sanding. Good for the shoulders.
10 year old Nissan Ultima. 90000 miles. They bought it new. Really nice shape. Deer hit left front. Totaled. All air bags good. Owner bought it back for $2000. $2500 in repairs its back on the road.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:08 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That's what I was saying. I wouldn't let a salvage title scare "me" away. It would make me inspect the vehicle harder. It could be it was hit hard and it could be the minor damage cost outweighed book value... or came too close to it. Insurance companies look at the money. They are actually just financial institutions that pay for repairs using their profits.

I doubt getting classic insurance would be an issue in any state. That's the only way you'll get an '89 insured for what it's worth. I only carry regular liability on my '95 for that very reason. a fender bender would total it.

I wouldn't pay more than about $3,500 for that truck needing a paint job and with salvage title. Sellers these days want money for their vehicles that the buyer needs to spend to make it worth what the asking price. It could be worth 3x that much if it had a clean title and good paint. It would be worth the price with a clean title, and that's probably what you were thinking.

Tim

Old 02-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #17
Mr_Rich

I have friends who have bought and sold trucks half as nice as the one in the pic. They went for $4-5K, bought and sold. That truck would sell for $6K in Calif. EASY. I have no doubt on that. Maybe ten years ago that truck would sell for $3K but the market has changed, at least from what I've seen.
My '89 was side-swiped when it was parked on the street. I didn't make an insurance claim because I know it would've been totaled. Ten years ago I overhauled the drive-train so I know the truck is solid. It has some slight cosmetic damage. The leaf springs were bent/ sprung and the axle is crabbed about 1" off. It's my spring project when the weather warms up.
1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, I thought about that $3,500 comment I made after posting and meant to come back to edit. I would like to pay no more than $3,500 but I'd pay more if the truck checked out and was what I wanted. Plus now these trucks are going for unreasonably high prices now.

Tim

Old 03-04-2023, 02:56 PM   #19
Gunner41

I myself have a salvage tile on my Camry. After watching the insurance company with their procedures. I have no issue with it. The only issue that scares me is electrical. Frames can and do get fixed. Panels replaced. Paint resprayed. Not sure but did I see the price of $6500? Not a chance in heck would I pay that for a used truck. $3000 there's a good maybe but much more then that naw. Good luck
Gunner41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:05 PM   #20
LS short box

My 98 Wrangler is a salvage title. Theft recovery. It had a dented grille, hood and left front fender. About 35000 miles out of TX so zero rust. Currently has a LS6/4L60E swap. Did the swap about 15 years ago. State Farm insures it on a agreed value policy.
If the salvage title is due flood damage I would be very careful. Besides the vehicle electrical stuff floods have all kinds of nasty crap in the flood waters. Salt, sand and sewage.
Pic of my 98 Wrangler.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2023, 11:40 AM   #21
Myself

My last 4 daily drivers have been wrecks.....totaled. In Arkansas, after it's repaired you meet up with a state trooper who looks over your 'affidavit of reconstruction', along with pics of the repair process, then inspects the vehicle and signs off. Then you get a 'previous damage' title from the state. For loan, insurance, or resale value these are automatically HALF of book value. Never been an issue for me as I have bought with cash and had less than that into them when I put them on the road. The previous 3 I've kept and driven around 150k miles and finally sold for about the same money as I originally had in them! If it's to keep and drive then don't worry about the title issue. If AT SOME POINT you think you're going to sell it and want your money back......make sure it's half price to begin with.
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 06:01 PM   #22
waynep

Thank you everyone for the comments. Took a while but the owner finally came around and we agreed on a very good price for the truck. I am going to enjoy driving the truck and making a few changes to it.
Old 03-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #23
Myself

YAY!!! Keep us updated on your new (old) truck!
Myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 01:20 PM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-08-2023, 02:02 PM   #25
Killer Bee

late to the party as usual but glad you were able to make an informed decision

my '71 K20 suburban has a salvaged title - doesn't bother me at all and no issue or even mention of title status with USAA insurance

might have reconsidered if I was planning to sell but I seldom sell anything so didn't care - price was right and that's all that mattered to me

not sure what will happen when I transfer everything to the show-me state in < three years but I'm not sweatin' it

end of the day - just a piece of paper